1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Yet another Gibson lawsuit situation....stop me if you're heard this one before

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nasonm, Jul 10, 2020.

1. nasonm

nasonm Supporting Member

Posted by Satellite Amps and their Coronet style guitars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HipKitty, MaxTwang, gmann and 3 others like this.
  2. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

3. Otter351

Otter351 Member

I don't claim to be any sort of business expert or know anything about trademark law, but I'm thinking maybe...just maybe...they could have at least changed the name

4. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Supporting Member

For those who won't read the OP.

This guy bought and owns the trademark to the coronet, which Gibson let go in the late 90's. Now that he's done well with the reissues he builds Gibson wants him shut down.

Germi, JScaster, Custom50 and 30 others like this.
  5. Electricb

Electricb Member

Who knows about the legality of it all, but those guitars look fantastic.

6. Lt Dak

Lt Dak Supporting Member

Awesome. The hits keep on coming.

#sueauthentic

lifeson1, gerg6, Abram4235 and 6 others like this.
  7. Otter351

Otter351 Member

They bought it FROM Gibson or Gibson never bothered to TM the name? Because, I don't see any trademark for "Coronet" prior to Satellite Amplifiers' filing in 2016. If so, Gibson can claim prior use which has precedence in past cases. Headstock looks awfully Epi-ish too, just playing with fire if you ask me. Not defending big G, but business is business and the law isn't always finders keepers

8. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Member

On the one hand Gibson are definitely dickheads, on the other hand when he chose to reissue someone else's guitar with the same name it's definitely playing with fire.

I definitely sympathize with the small builders but this is a case where he's to some degree made his own bed. Gibson should do the right thing and just buy the trademark from him IMHO. But I am not surprised they won't.

9. cugel

cugel Supporting Member

#buysatelliteamps

10. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

Doesn't the Epi Coronet have slightly offset horns?. Those guitars have symmetrical horns. I might be wrong about the offset though, I just thought they were very slightly different from each other.
    Al

Gizmot likes this.
  11. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

The Kzoo Epiphone Coronet shape changed over time. Earlier was more symmetrical and more of a slab body. Might even predate the Gibson purchase of Epiphone. Along these lines, I like the French guy's guitars - Daguet? IIRC.

I used to have a Coronet with the batwing headstock. Must have been in a display window cause the back was cherry and the front faded to brown. Traded it ' cause the neck was a bit too slim.

12. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Silver Supporting Member

Gibson made that version of the Coronet for one year. If Gibson never trademarked the name, or let the mark lapse, and hasn't been using it since 1992, there's not a lot of solid ground for them to stand on.

13. Ricky_Rockhardo

Ricky_Rockhardo Member

They do look awesome. One of each, please.

14. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Member

This is not correct. Satellite started building the guitars in 2016. When Gibson dropped them a cease and desist letter, at that point they offered to pay for legal authorization from Gibson to call them Coronets ("buy the brand"), for around 80.000,00 dollars it seems.

I think that they (a) should have used a different name to begin with and (b) should just tweak the shape a bit, change the headstock (which IS trademarked actually) and call it a day.

15. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Supporting Member

Source?

If you change the shape and headstock a hair Gibson will still go after you, see: Heritage, PRS, Kiesel, Dean etc etc. Not counting those who've had to make secret agreements with Gibson to build guitars that are still a different shape.

Gibson is doing what many very large companies with $$ to spend do: use and abuse trademark to the nTH degree to shut down competition to increase market share.

Edit: You read Satellite's post incorrectly, what I said was correct, Satellite was building the guitars since 2016, did get the trademark and now 4 years later Gibson is going after them.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    egregion, Mr Shades and Lt Dak like this.
  16. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Member

I am not defending the way Gibson is acting. I am simply stating how I would go about the situation myself.

https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=...TION&caseType=DEFAULT&searchType=statusSearch

The classic Gibson headstock has been trademarked since 1975 btw.

17. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

They're actually defending their property, but do go on.

Jabberwocky likes this.
  18. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

Add a TE at the end. Coronette.

19. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Stupefying litigious behavior out of Gibson as usual. They're not protecting their property; the rights do not belong to Gibson. Everything about the design was abandoned. Gibson is not required by the US govt. trademark office to protect anything in this scenario. Now that someone has found an untapped lucrative market for that castoff, Gibson wants it back. Gibson already has an enormous beautiful twelve-tier cake. And they're trying to stick their fingers into the mouths of those who scraped the cake pans to pull out abandoned cake crumbs.

20. Droliver

Droliver Member

The trademark was clearly incorrectly given to Satellite here. Like the Dean and Framus cases, he’ll likely be able to sell the same guitar shape (as Gibson didn’t enforce the trademark they had for some time) but he won’t be able to maintain a trademark on it himself I suspect.

Peacefrog78 and Thesleepstalker like this.