Yet another outboard reverb thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mad dog, Feb 2, 2006.

1. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Back to the reverb well again. I'm seriously jonesing for one. The Uncle Spot unit -- at his old price -- was a no-brainer right choice. Now that price is up substantially. Both he and Michael Clark are putting out similiar units, now at similar prices. Have any of you heard both?

Another maybe choice for me is the Guyatron FR3000. Price is right, but would the sound compare with the others?

What I'm looking for is just the great reverb, w/o loss of signal or excessive noise. The RI and vintage fenders I've tried have been highly variable, so I'm looking for something new.

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Have you tried an EBS Dynaverb? They are really nice. I did a side by side with a couple of my amplifiers built-in verbs, even though it has no "spring" setting (but has three variation each for Hall, Room, and Plate) and I can get it damned close. Matched up the verbs in my Peavey Classic 30, Carvinv MTS3212, and Hot Rod DeVille 410.

No noise whatsoever, that I can hear. I use it in my effects loop and it sounds great.

It's actually kinda boring, because it is so good. I bought it and missed all the tweaking one does to get the best sound. Has different settings, I like them all...though it does sound different on each amp, I mean I can't have my favorite setting and just leave it there as it sounds different on the other amps...but I can dial it in again.

3. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

+1 on the Dynaverb. Very natural and unobtrusive. I got one for cheap (new for 115 euros, normal price is 199 euros!) after StopBoxBlues recommended it and never looked back. Mine is always on.

Cheers,

Johan.

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

That's so nice to hear! That a suggestion I made worked out for you like that! Thanks!

It's dicey recommending pedals. I have a few I would recommend to anyone, even in other styles of music, but very few. I would hate to recommend one and have another spend their money and not like it.

It's no blame, but I was a little dissapointed when another person on this list had highly recommended me the Zendrive, and while I'm waiting for it I read him now saying "Hey..I got a Timmy, sold my Zendrive, the Timmy is THE pedal", but I don't blame him or anything. These things happen, you got a pedal you think is great, and find one even better. It's just a little dissapointing, but I'm still betting I like the Zendrive.

Anyway, it's great to hear you are as happy as I am with it.

5. landru64

landru64 Member

personally, i would avoid the dynaverb. there are many stories (including my own) out there about them being noisy and problematic. i had one that made strange sounds on most settings and ebs couldn't fix it.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

How many is many? You had one. Who else? I see one guy (out of five reviews and this one was in 2004, two years ago) complained he had gotten a noisy one. I don't know how he was running it. In my effects loop it doesn't suck any tone I can hear, and is dead quiet.

When did you buy yours? Is it possible they had a problem and fixed it in the last few years?

The solution is pretty simple. Try THE pedal you are thinking of buying in the store, if it is noisy don't buy it.

It is way less likely I think that it will develop "noisiness" if it is quiet at the start.

7. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for your comments. For pedals, I've used the EH Holy Grail quite a bit. To my ears, it delivers excellent reverb sound, much better than any other digital effect I tried. The downside is noise. With some amps, barely noticeable. With my Gibson GA40, which idles noisily, it is noticeable. So I'm looking for alternatives.

I'm also reacting to the wonderful 3-knob reverb in my Clark Tyger. Haven't had much luck with vintage outboard units. Yes, you get cool reverb and in some cases, a warm gain boost. Downside is the ones I tried sucked tone to begin with, before adding back the good stuff. After playing the Clark reverb, I'm thinking I need something comparable outboard. The Clark, Uncle Spot, Vintone, Reverberato and a few others are all interesting. Which one?

8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

A surprisingly good 'cheapie' is a Digiverb. Most settings provide very realistic, non-digital sounding reverb...most. There is minimal noise, and it can be found for < $100. For mild 'verb, it's an effective alternative. Well built, too. AC

9. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Well Chad of CMATMODS is building me a reverb pedal. It'll feature a spring tank with RCA jacks and long leads to a stomp.
    If it is a success I'll let you guys know.
    So it will be Spring tank to Solid State not Tube.
    I hope to get rich reverb without having to lug a big enclosure and of course hope it works on 9V!

10. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

My amp doesn't have an effects loop. I put the Dynaverb last in line before the amp. Not noisy at all, and my set-up is really quiet, so I would definitely notice if it added any noise.

Cheers,

Johan.