(Yet Another) Question About Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lolaviola, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

So,
    Who can explain the difference between a "name" brand fuzz and a "clone" that sells for $100 LESS?

I know it is more than the sum of the parts, but the ebay clones are very tempting. I guess what I'm asking is if the "Fuzz Face Clones" are worth it at all, or do I need to look at other fuzzes?

I had a FF Clone with all these knobs and switches and it was just too hard to find a good tone. The FF reissue is tempting, but then I read this stuff http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/axisface.php and I can't help but wonder??? Does all that stuff improve the sound and how specifically?

2. meterman

meterman Member

Lots of people have their own spin of the Fuzzface circuit which in itself was pretty simple but did have some drawbacks. Some builders have added stuff, some have changed values, some have tried to optimize the original circuit by using tested, high quality parts. Original Fuzzfaces were not very consistent apparently....In my experience though sometimes less is more and beyond something like a bias pot, I'd rather have a well voiced basic circuit than something with alot of bells and whistles and "improvements." Not all tweaks result in better sounding pedals....when you buy a "name" Fuzzface you are basically paying for the knowledge of that builder, in addition to (presumably anyway) quality of parts and build. My advice would be, if you're curious about the circut build a kit with socket transitors so you can fool around with it. If you just want a great sounding Fuzzface, go with a proven builder like MJM, Foxrox, Analogman, Fulltone, etc there are a dozen or more. Each will be different but in many cases you do get what you pay for, and the resale value will be better as well if it doesn't work out...

3. StompboxMan

StompboxMan Member

The name Fuzz has got the goods!

The cheap clone Fuzz might be an exact rip off of an existing manufactured product. In the case of the basic Fuzz Face where everyone makes their version. I'd still buy from name manufacture to avoid any tone problems.:cool:

4. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Your opinions are welcome, thanks.

5. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

It depends on the builders choices really. The issue is you have the same issues with the originals and with most things mass produced... Lots of crap amongst a few good ones.

Generally the reputable people make choices to make thier circuit specifically sound a certain way after a long process of trial and error. For instance the Fulltone 70 is darker and a little smoother than say the new JHF1 BC108 fuzz face. They also make reliability choices and have to maintain and test a consistant product or it's going to be hashed out in places like this.

Fuzzes are very finiky with germanium transistors, far less so with silicon but they still sound a little different depending on what's in it and where it's placed in line or the tone control available power etc.

In other words... it's a crap shoot. There is nothing wrong with Ebay fuzzes for under 100 bucks. I think for my money though, I'd rather try say a hybrid like the Huckleberry for 135 I think or even a used NOC3 BC108 in the emporium something like that.

There are so many fuzzes being built for decent prices from reputable people... I'd just rather not go through the hassle of buying a 50 dollar Ebay box that's unsellable.