Yet Another, Recommend Me a Delay - Thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by theanalogfuture, Jun 14, 2006.

1. theanalogfuture

theanalogfuture Member

So I've rocked a Deluxe Memory Man for a little less than a year now (it was my very first pedal)

Now, I need another practical delay, a more versitle unit, with possibly tap tempo.

Before you all get on the whole, Diamond Memory Lane, and Echoczar recommending spree that usually happens, I want all to know do have an echoczar on order but I will have to wait. (Wait AT LEAST another seven months)

I just need something to hold me off until then.

The Memory Lane is just too darn expensive for something that I'll abandon within a year. For this little venture, I am willing to go *gasp* digital, but not something sterile. (DD6, Echo Park)

Right now, the top choice is an DLS Echo Tap, but I've noticed that it does not have a mix control, or are the volume controls the mix control?

Please inform me about the Echotap, and/or recommend any analog sounding digital dealy units in the $200-$300 price range. Remember, tap tempo is a plus but not a must!

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

If you can do without tap tempo (I never EVER thought I could, but I don't miss it a bit now) the CMATMods Deelay is truly a great sounding, simple stupid, quiet, and affordable delay. It really is a nice pedal.

3. theanalogfuture

theanalogfuture Member

Thanks Scott!

Also, I'd like to know if there are any mods available for the DMM.

Thanks Everyone!

4. Coach

Coach Senior Member

Howard Davis does some pretty rad mods to memory mans. Search the site and you'll find them.

5. drolling

drolling Member

I was raised on delays that had no tap tempo, so that's not really what attracted me to Memory Lane. Like you, I have an EH Deluxe Memory Man RI and was just looking for better sound and more clean headroom. At the time, I hadn't heard of the Howard Davis mods, which do sound worth investigation.

I just picked up a French made analogue delay for a little over $200 Canadian; The Jacques Prisoner - around 330 ms of clean but creamy delay time w/a very musical modulation circuit - not as over-the-top whacked-out as your Deluxe Memory Man, but much more useful. No tap-tempo & it's not true-bypass, either, but the buffer's decent. The biggest drawback - no self-oscillation.. For that, I have to crack out the DMM or the ML.

I need longer delay lines, tho', (the Memory Lane only goes to 550 ms, just like the EH pedal) and to that end I'm using a DigiTech Digidelay - lot's of choices crammed into a Boss sized pedal, including a very nice "tape" mode, modulation and even a 3 second looper that's surprisingly useful. This one's got a very functional tap-tempo, but it's not true-bypassed.

BTW, I've been waiting around 10 months for my Echoczar. Ed's computer blew up and I just had to reconfirm my place on the waiting list from last July...

6. vorvick

vorvick Member

Line6 DL4
    tap tempo, 3 user-defined presets, and lots of sounds to experiment with while you wait for the echoczar.

why not?

constructive criticism welcome. passionate opinions welcome too.

flame on,

V

7. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

I myself have heard lots of great things about the Line6 DL4. A friend of mine uses it and he loves it. the flexibility and options provide lots of fun!

I'm not a big expert on delays but another analog-sounding digital delay that I like is the Visual Sound H2O which I use now. Before that I used a Boss DD3 so the H2O was a big improvement and at a good price. It provides up to 800ms. However, VS pedals are big cos they house 2 effects in one. The chorus effect that the H2O has is also quite pleasant to use.

8. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

website?

9. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

10. Great King Rat

Great King Rat Member

I maybe in minority here but I love my Digitech X series delay pedal. Sounds very analogish with good features.
    Give it a try and you could save yourself headache and money. I've gone through many delay pedals and I finally settled on the digi.

11. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I'll +1 the digidelay. For a temporary pedal at a comically low price, you can't do much better. I'd say it's the bad monkey of delays!

Hmmm, the bad monkey is also a digitech product. Maybe a thread giving props to digitech is in order!

12. radicool

radicool Member

I have one of those little MD-3 delays from Guyatone. It's a nice little pedal for around $100. Really sounds good, very analog-like, and takes up very little real estate on your board. Has a switch for long, med, & short delay times, no tap tempo. Battery is a pain to change like all the little Guyatones, but I use an adapter so it's not an issue.

13. omensixaxe

omensixaxe Member

Not too long ago, I picked up a Roland DD-20 for a nice 175$ new. Not the warmest of delays, but in the way of features, it's hard to top.

*End Irrevelant Suggestion.*

14. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Maxon AD900. One of the only pedals that hasn't left my board in the 3 years or so that I've had it.