Yet another Reverb.com cautionary tale (updated)

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
Update:

An actual person from Reverb reached out and let me know they refunded the buyer because the buyer had filed a claim dispute with Paypal. They verified I would not be charged as I had purchased the seller protection.

Obviously I'm happy that I'm not going to get dinged on this, but I'm still pretty frustrated that there was zero communication prior to the refund, customer service chat bot was very unresponsive, and that they could not be reached by telephone.

At this point I pulled all my other stuff for sale from the site as I don't want to go through this headache in the future.

Original Post:

I sold a set of pickups on Reverb way back on November 8th 2021. Vintage Gibson pickups that sold for $465. The buyer had originally messaged me asking to ship internationally, but before I responded he purchased them with a US shipping address. Payment cleared and I shipped same day. I got the shipping label through Reverb, using the address provided, and purchased "Reverb Safe Shipping" which required signature confirmation for delivery.

Nearly a month later on December 5th, I got a message saying he never received them, and that he put the wrong zip code in. I checked and USPS had them as "delivered to an agent for final delivery" on November 12th. At that point there's nothing I can do and he needed to speak with Reverb.

Now, a full six weeks later, I get an e-mail notifying me that they have issued a refund to the buyer. No messages, no phone calls, nothing. The item is still listed as "delivered" on USPS. No other information.

I contacted help through their chat function as no phone number is listed, and the agent is completely unresponsive. I Google and find a phone number for support, and it's just a message to use their website. They literally have no more customer service anymore.

At this point now I'm out the $465, I don't have the pickups, I'm out the shipping and sales fee charges, and I have zero support from the company. Absolutely disgusted. This happened to me about five years ago when I was scammed the exact same way for a laptop from eBay and USPS. Well I'm done with Reverb as well.

Last edited:

JustADudeNamedJoe

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah. I shipped an amp once that was damaged in route. Box mangled, buckled corners and sides....At this point, I'd had over 200 positive transactions via reverb . They refused to pay the insurance because I couldn't prove it was working before I shipped it.... :|. Luckily, UPS store packed it, so they covered it. Once my current listings are sold, I'm out.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
When you say you're out $465, how did they get the money from you?

Assuming they will pull the money out of my bank account, just as Paypal did when I was scammed on eBay. Charge hasn't hit my bank yet.

C-4

I sold a set of pickups on Reverb way back on November 8th 2021. Vintage Gibson pickups that sold for $465. The buyer had originally messaged me asking to ship internationally, but before I responded he purchased them with a US shipping address. Payment cleared and I shipped same day. I got the shipping label through Reverb, using the address provided, and purchased "Reverb Safe Shipping" which required signature confirmation for delivery.

Nearly a month later on December 5th, I got a message saying he never received them, and that he put the wrong zip code in. I checked and USPS had them as "delivered to an agent for final delivery" on November 12th. At that point there's nothing I can do and he needed to speak with Reverb.

Now, a full six weeks later, I get an e-mail notifying me that they have issued a refund to the buyer. No messages, no phone calls, nothing. The item is still listed as "delivered" on USPS. No other information.

I contacted help through their chat function as no phone number is listed, and the agent is completely unresponsive. I Google and find a phone number for support, and it's just a message to use their website. They literally have no more customer service anymore.

At this point now I'm out the $465, I don't have the pickups, I'm out the shipping and sales fee charges, and I have zero support from the company. Absolutely disgusted. This happened to me about five years ago when I was scammed the exact same way for a laptop from eBay and USPS. Well I'm done with Reverb as well.
Sorry to hear about your situation.
I gave up on online selling years ago.
I don't miss it at all.

Mr. Fuzzy&

Silver Supporting Member
Always Google the address your shipping to. Sounds like you shipped to a freight forwarder. The forwarder got the pickups and they haven't made their way to the customer. Freight forwarding can often take months. I wouldn't doubt it if the cust eventually gets them but it's unlikely they would then report it. Common use of scamming, but also common use for people who live outside the country. Better safe than sorry.

Don't stop hounding Reverb. I've heard you can get a long way with them if you press them long enough.

ixnay

Assuming they will pull the money out of my bank account, just as Paypal did when I was scammed on eBay. Charge hasn't hit my bank yet.

That is why I keep a separate bank account for online selling and keep almost no money in it. I've never had this issue, but if I do, they're not getting any money from me unless I agree to it.

When did PayPal just take money from your bank account? I heard they got in trouble for that many years ago and can't just make a withdraw like that without your permission. Last I heard, the worst they can do is charge your PayPal account for the amount and hope you put the money in to cover it.

Last edited:

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
Always Google the address your shipping to. Sounds like you shipped to a freight forwarder. The forwarder got the pickups and they haven't made their way to the customer. Freight forwarding can often take months. I wouldn't doubt it if the cust eventually gets them but it's unlikely they would then report it. Common use of scamming, but also common use for people who live outside the country. Better safe than sorry.

Don't stop hounding Reverb. I've heard you can get a long way with them if you press them long enough.

I suppose that's a good idea. But I got the tracking label directly through Reverb and got the seller protection through them. I literally made no mistakes on my end. I packed and shipped and did exactly as Reverb said I should.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
That is why I keep a separate bank account for online selling and keep almost no money in it. I've never had this issue, but if I do, they're not getting any money from me unless I agree that to do it.

When did PayPal just take money from your bank account? I heard they got in trouble for that many years ago and can't just make a withdraw like that without your permission. Last I heard, the worst they can do is charge your PayPal account for the amount and hope you put the money in to cover it.

This was about five years ago, probably before they made all the changes like you said. I spent so many hours on the phone with eBay and Paypal and nobody would help.

I remember at the time coming on TGP and talking to @reverbofficial and being very impressed with their commitment to customer service. Of course that's before they sold out to Etsy.

redir

That sucks especially seeing that you have a message from the buyer who basically admitted it was his mistake by getting the zip code wrong. Since they have not charged your account is there anyway to block it?

ixnay

This was about five years ago, probably before they made all the changes like you said. I spent so many hours on the phone with eBay and Paypal and nobody would help.

I remember at the time coming on TGP and talking to @reverbofficial and being very impressed with their commitment to customer service. Of course that's before they sold out to Etsy.

I think it was @danoverb (or something like that) that was actually helpful. From what I've seen @reverbofficial is just about useless.

It sounds like your situation is a screw up on their end, and if/when you get a reply from someone, they'll probably look into it and figure it out. Sucks for now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually gets resolved correctly.

Short Tooth

Clarifying on an earlier point, and soon as account is credited after a sale. Pull that money immediately and deposit into another account not linked to Reverb, or PayPal. Many online sellers on multiple selling sites do this religiously. Good luck, and God's speed.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
Put a block on it or close and change accounts and ride off in the sunset...

Man I can't go through a new account again. I had a Walmart.com account that was hacked in December and someone ordered $150 worth of stuff from there. Literally ordered a jar of mayonnaise and a weight rack. Contacted Walmart a few times and they said they'd cancel it, never did. Went through my bank who reversed and fought them on the charge but I had to get a new card and deal with changing it over for a couple dozen sites.

Jim85IROC

Silver Supporting Member
Are you sure that you're not still being paid for the sale? When I bought the safe shipping option on a guitar that arrived with damage, Reverb issued the buyer a partial refund, but it was NOT at my expense. I was told that he was issued a partial refund but that I was not responsible for those costs because I purchased the safe shipping option.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
Are you sure that you're not still being paid for the sale? When I bought the safe shipping option on a guitar that arrived with damage, Reverb issued the buyer a partial refund, but it was NOT at my expense. I was told that he was issued a partial refund but that I was not responsible for those costs because I purchased the safe shipping option.

Did they tell you that? I didn't get any information from them at all except the buyer was refunded.

pewing33ny

Can I do that without paying more than $500?
Yes, in NYC it's like $15 which is on the lower end but I think I paid $60 in Boston a few years back over a security deposit. I doubt Reverb/Etsy will send a lawyer out there and just cut you a check.

You should 100% fight them on this, I get very frustrated when I hear about stories like this and people giving up and taking it. I get it's a pain and maybe not even worth the money but if you let Reverb embolden scammers it screws all of us and your future self.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom