Yet Another Speaker Thread - Dynaudio

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by LSchefman, Sep 30, 2005.

1. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I'm screwing around with a new pair of monitors. Big surprise, eh? ;)

I wanted another reference, and originally picked up a pair of the M-Audio BX-8As. Unfortunately, one of them decided to stop functioning correctly after only a few weeks, and the store didn't have another pair in stock. As long as I was returning them, I decided to try something different, and got the new Dynaudio BM5As.

I liked the M-Audios as a way of simulating a "home" speaker. But I would never have used them alone for mixing. They are strictly a secondary reference kind of speaker.

The Dynaudios are a different story. They are a real-deal monitor. I am hearing things on familiar CDs that I missed on my old Genelec 1031As. To be fair, the Genelecs sounded "bigger"; of course...they WERE bigger. ;)

They seem to have less "apparent" low end than the Mackie 624s, but they sound tighter and flatter, the Mackies may be a little ripe in the upper bass by comparison. The high end seems more transparent. As for dispersion, in my "stand up, walk around, sit down" test, there are fewer high frequency changes. These speakers DO have very good bass, however. I just listened to a Sheryl Crow record with synth bass reinforcing the real bass, and...um...yeah, they go low.

So I will likely hang onto these. I've gotten good mixes on the larger Dynaudio systems at other studios, and trust their products. These are made in Denmark.

I will update when these get broken in. I bet these would be astounding with a good subwoofer.

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I was a Dyanudio BM6A guy for a looooong time.

Absolutely wonderful monitors, exceptionally revealing. I found the highs a touch forward overall (probably more due to my exceptionally flawed room!) but they were a killer benchmark for me.

Enjoy the 5A's!!

3. Orren

Orren Member

I've also been using BM6As for years. Excellent monitors. Very flat, non-fatiguing. Dynaudio Acoustics definitely knows what they're doing.

Orren

4. justicetones

justicetones Member

Ooooo some good info. I am currently entertaining the thought of a new set of monitors for some writing, editing, mixing and mastering. I was curious about the Dynaudio BM5A's and BM6A's. keep me posted on your thoughts as you use them more Les.

Chris

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I played these for a long time last night, just acclimating my ears to them with CDs I consider good references for different kinds of mixes.

At first, because they're so diminutive, I was guilty of "listening with my eyes"; however, as time went on and I stopped thinking about their size, I began to listen more deeply into the mixes, and to hear excellent soundstage width, placement and depth. I am hearing details that I wasn't able to hear on my Genelecs, or my Mackies, but to some degree this is true of just about any good speaker; no two are going to reproduce things exactly the same way, you're almost always going to hear something you didn't hear before when you get a good pair of new monitors, so to me that isn't as big a deal.

Here's what's good:

1. I don't hear resonant peaks. There is a solidity of the image, top to bottom, and placement of instruments in a mix is very clear. Fundamental tones have weight and depth, but don't boom.

2. Transient response is excellent. There is no mush.

3. At reasonably loud volumes, they have the family sound of the 6A and the 15A Dynaudio speakers. They don't fill the room as much when you turn them up to "real loud", but honestly, I prefer mixing at moderate volume, so that isn't a problem for me.

4. Listening to tracks I recorded in the past, everything sounds like it's supposed to sound. My instruments, especially the acoustic guitar and piano, sound right.

5. I am not hearing sizzle, overbrightness, or other unwanted high frequency artifacts. Listener fatigue is low. I did about eight hours with them, and was quite comfortable.

Conclusion:

They reek of quality, just like their bigger siblings.

6. justicetones

justicetones Member

Sounds great Les. So is the concensus for Dynaudios could be that the BM5A's are extremely similar, almost identical to the BM6A's except with technically a little less low end response. I think they quote the BM5A's as going down to 50hz and the BM6A's to 41hz.

That is really not a big deal if the bottom that is there is true and fairly flat, IMHO.

I am now anxious to hear them again with more time and comparisons in the same room. I was also considering the Genelec 8030, 8040, and The Blue Sky Pro Desk 6.5's with the sub. I have mixed alot on those and was really impressed.

Chris

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>So is the concensus for Dynaudios could be that the BM5A's are extremely similar, almost identical to the BM6A's except with technically a little less low end response<<

I'm doing this from memory, but if I recall, the 6As have twice the amplifier power, so not only will they go lower, presumably due to the bigger enclosure, they should also play cleanly louder, especially on transients and bass.

However, I like these little 'uns just fine as near-fields. If I wanted more mid-field response, ie, to dazzle the clients, I'd go with the 6As or larger. But my ad clients rarely come over anyway, which is kind of a shame, because it's a nice room!

In any event, I find that when my ad clients are over, they're much more interested in how the picture looks on the screen than how the mix sounds. So I generally only have to please myself when it comes to speakers. It'd be different if I was recording bands, or booking the room for outside sessions. However, my studio is strictly for my own projects.

8. justicetones

justicetones Member

Les,

I am in the same situation. These are for my working home studio and not many clients ever come here either. Of course the BM6A's have more amplifier power in addition to the larger or higher air volume enclosure. I also like the lower price point for the BM5A's as it leaves room for other gear in the current budget. Like you I don't think I would need that extra power for listening or working volume. I like you also mix at a reasonable level. I like my hearing... :)

Thanks for you posts. I appreciatte it.

Chris

9. elambo

elambo Member

I've been trying to see a review of the Dynaudio Air monitors but a review is hard to come by. Maybe someone reading this thread has heard them? What did you think?

10. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

[​IMG]

I have always been a fan of Dynaudios and find them easy listening

11. justicetones

justicetones Member

OK Now I am salivating.........................:dude

12. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Yowza, Gary, them's huge monitors!

>>I've been trying to see a review of the Dynaudio Air monitors but a review is hard to come by. Maybe someone reading this thread has heard them? What did you think?<<

I spent an afternoon with the Air 20s (the three way model). At the time, I was still using my Genelec 1031s as my main reference, and using other larger Genelec mains in various studios I work in, so I wasn't exactly listening to inexpensive, low end monitors.

To put it bluntly, I was blown away by the Air 20s, they were even clearer in the critical vocal range than I was used to. This was what impressed me most, since I still feel that Genelecs are excellent in the midrange.

Although one single afternoon in someone else's room isn't necessarily the best way to hear monitors, I thought they were pretty astounding while I was there. They are definitely worth listening to.

Note that I was listening to a digital source, through a digital console (O2R 96), so there is that ever-popular digital/analog issue that I wasn't able to mess with.

13. elambo

elambo Member

Thanks Les - Based on that I may run by the dealer this week and take a good listen. I demo'd a set of BlueSky monitors for about a month (I didn't ask for them, but they INSISTED that I try them) which are marketing themselves in a very similar way, and they were impressive. Too harsh for me, but nice. All the configuration and calibration options were impressive also.

14. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I've heard the Blue Sky monitors are good, but I've only heard the little ones designed to be used with a computer monitor.

Actually, for what they were, they were good, too!

15. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

You're so cute. :D

Every time you get a new pair of monitors, they are "THE" ones that work best for you. Much better than the last pair (which at the time were "THE" ones that worked best, much better than the last etc...) ;)

I'm just playing witcha. You know your sh*t.

16. justicetones

justicetones Member

Let me just first say that I love this forum. A lot of knowledgable people here. It is really cool.

Elambo, Which Blue Sky's did they insist you try. Just curious...... I prefer the big Sky system one to the small media desk that Guitar Center is pushing.
    I mis-spoke earlier when I said I was considering the Pro Desk. The Sky System One is the one I am considering. I have used both but I felt that the Sky System One's sound a little cleaner in the mids and upper mids. It is slight but that was my ears take on them. I have not tried the media desk system but I don't consider that something that interests me for mixing at home. A little too small but I am sure great for what they are intended.

I am strongly considering the Dynaudio BM5A or BM6A's.

17. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>You're so cute.<<

Ak ak ak ak ak, you're purty awful yourself, Olive. ;)

>>Every time you get a new pair of monitors, they are "THE" ones that work best for you.<<

Well sure! If I didn't think they might be better, I wouldn't buy them! ;) (EXCEPT the M-Audio speakers which I strictly bought as a "consumer" reference.) But ya know, I've only had three sets of speakers during the past seven years as a primary reference: the Genelecs, the Mackies, and now these. That's not too bad. The state of the art keeps improving (especially at reasonable price points), so from time to time I just enjoy a change.

>>I'm just playing witcha. You know your sh*t.<<

Well, I dunno if I know my ****...but I know I'm full of ****! :D

18. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Why I oughta...
    [​IMG]