Yet another which delay should I get question...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Avenger, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Avenger

Avenger Member

I know there are a lot of delay threads (I've read most of them), but I'm not really sure what delay I should try. I've had limited experience with delays. I had a Dan Echo which I sort of liked, but not enough to hold onto it.

I've recently discovered that I really like tape ehco sounds, which to me means low fi repeats and subtle warble/modulation. I'm also not a big fan of noisy pedals.;)

The new Boss Space Echo pedal looks like it might fit the bill, but I'd like to find something under $150.

The EH deluxe memory man w/hazarai looks like it might be great, especially with all the extra features such a looping, but the modulation is only on repeats under 300 ms. I usually like longer repeats.

Would the Tech 21 Boost Delay fit the bill? I've found almost no discussion on this pedal.

The Danelectro Reel Echo sounds cool, but it is huge, and some say it is very noisy.

Any other ideas or thoughts from the delay gurus out there?

2. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

My favorite delay is the DD20. At 180 new. . . we'll have to put that aside. Right after this one with a very very good tape sim at 60 bucks used is the digitech digidelay. I say start there. You might even stop there.

3. Birddog

Birddog Member

I am really liking the pair of Ibanez DE-7's that I bought last month. I've gigged with them and am really enchanted with their sound. I set one on "delay" at around 350ms and the other at "echo" around 600ms. The delay is fine. The echo is superb, getting darker and darker with each repeat. And there is ZERO tone coloring on the delay setting. Well made, heavy as hell and priced right.

4. Avenger

Avenger Member

Thanks. These are the kind of ideas I was looking for.

The digitech sounds great, but does it sound analog? I'm not too picky in this area, as long as there are no easily discernable digital artifatcts I'd probably be happy.

Does the DE7 have modulation in the echo mode?

5. jayn

jayn Member

I tried one at a store under non-optimal conditions. I thought it sounded really nice. I'd definitely consider it.

6. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

7. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

Oh! Forgot about the DE7. . . . . . . . . . More on it here: www.gilmourish.com. . . . . . . . . Regarding the Digidelay question: not analogish, necessarily, but I'd say increasingly darker repeats in tape mode. You can still hear these up close and personal in your neighborhood GC . . . . they're just like 90 or a hundred bucks there. . . . .

8. Avenger

Avenger Member

Thanks again for the answers.

I read that thread about the First Act. It sounds intriguing, but I don't see myself modding a pedal in the near future (maybe someday).

That Gilmourish site is very cool. I'm still not clear whether there is any tape flutter/modulation effect n the DE-7, though.

I guess I should go to GC and check out the Digitech...:eek:

9. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

Depends on how much you want to spend. If you want a low cost option that works quite well for a number of different delay uses (and benefits greatly from a dedicated power source), the Digitech Digidelay was quite good. Nice, simple and a great value.

If you want to spend more and have more features, I have used the Nova and liked it. I didn't keep it cause it's too complex for what I need it to do. I can't speak for the Timefactor, but folks rave about it.

10. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

U could check out the Yamaha MS.
    Quite a few people here are using them for delays/reverbs.
    Here's a few demos of some sounds I've programmed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GWWir6g-nE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjOSyVicVzE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ5do5sGJt8

U get deep editable 8 tap delays as well as rull rhythmic programing and amazing mod effects to boot.

Best thing is that its smaller than 2 boss pedals and you can pick em up for less than 60 bucks nowadays.

More demos in my youtube sig

11. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

12. guybrush

guybrush Member

Indeed. Sweet lo-fi warbly sounds to be had.

13. Avenger

Avenger Member

I forgot about the Echo Park. Any noise issues with this one? Does it disguise its digitalness (it is too a word)?

14. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

no noise- doesn't disuise...it's pretty convincing all-around-

I can nail other delays with it...pm sent-

15. Avenger

Avenger Member

Thanks. Those do seem very cool, but are too expensive for me, and probably too complicated for my tastes. I tend to find a few good sounds in a piece of gear and stick with those.

I've been intrigued by the Magic Stomp since it came out, but I've never gotten one. Again, maybe it is my tendancy to try to keep things simple that keeps me away from the MS.