YJM neck tone... in my CHARVEL? (competing with a JB bridge)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ruger9, Feb 11, 2012.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Big fan of YJM's tone, I know he was using the Dimarzios and now of course he uses the SD Fury. Here's my deal: I have my old 80's Charvel, with a JB in the bridge (which I will never give up, love that thing.) But looking to inject some "YJM neck tone" into the axe, was looking to put a YJM Fury in the neck position... but, I read they are medium output? Will the Fury be able to balance with my JB? (I do coil-split the JB for Yngwie bridge tones, so the Fury would be competing with a SPLIT JB)...

Any other suggestions welcome... but PLEASE, let's not turn this into a YJM BashFest, as many YJM threads turn into.

disclaimer:
    yes, I know without the DOD and Marshall cranked, I'll never get his tone lol. I'm not a purist, just looking to get in the ballpark with his neck tone.

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Look for a DiMarzio HS3, balance sound as best you can by having it set fairly close to the strings and drop the JB further away from the strings...

3. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Why the HS3 instead of the Fury? I read the Dimarzios were WEAKER than the Duncans?

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

In large part as they are the pickups YJM recorded the songs/solos you like with... He's been w/ Duncan, what, two years? Has he even recorded/released anything w/ them yet? Dimarzio's a kickass company (so is SD).

5. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Well, Relentless just have out in september, so yeah I guess so?

I just thought there was some TECHNICAL reason for your suggestion, as opposed to an artistic one. I suspect the Furys sound an awful lot like the Dimarzios, and I'd have no problem using either... except I have read the SDs are more output than the Dimarzios, which is something I might need with it going up against a JB in the bridge?

6. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

If your using gain tones for example, and go to the neck pickup for a solo etc, the gain/output difference will be huge.

Even though this is not a true single coil, i love the tone and sound of this pickup in the neck of my strat more than anything (Much higher output also).
    It gets me in the Malmsteen feel, and much closer matches a medium output Bridge pickup.

http://wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_Twin_Blades.html

[​IMG]

7. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

The neck pickup position always has more output. Because there's more (string) energy there. So it should sound fine.

8. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Really? Keep in mind, I'm using the JB SPLIT. So the Fury neck only has to be close in gain (volume I can adjust with pup height) to the SPLIT JB.

9. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

This is my conclusion as well, especially since I'm splitting the JB when playing Malmsteen. I just wanted some opinions before buying, because trying to re-sell a BLACK YJM Fury, I would no doubt take a big hit. So I wanted to be relatively sure this would work out before buying.

10. Tito83

Tito83 Member

+1

I'd try something like a Dimarzio Cruiser or a Fast Track 1.

Than it should be ok :).

11. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

Humbucker from hell?