Yngwie 1985 solo for fans

6Tones

Not his best but Some nice shred spots of course (6minute mark on for me ) and a hell alot of fury!
See kids no high gain needed! ;)
Prefer his sound then to the highgain pegged sound he has today.

guitguy28

One thing I like about Yngwie is his formula for overdriven tone: Low-output pickups boosted by a clean but loud preamp signal, and finally into a cranked non-master volume amp with hi-powered speakers.

He said in an interview that unless you play a power chord it should sound clean "that's my trick". Obviously it's not going to sound Fender Twin Reverb clean but I get what he means.

In my experimentation with gear and getting good overdriven tone, I've found that ideally, I'd use the same general setup strategy as Yngwie. Even if it were say, a Gibson rather than a Fender or a Fender amp rather than a Marshall, and I was going for a somewhat different tone.

Polynitro

the fury!

sounds like a cranked marshall and hes using the volume knob to get more or less gain.

as always,

volume =tone

paulvcarter

I don't like his music or even this style of music - BUT - his articulation and skill, speed etc are stunning. I also love the fact the tone is there due to his pick up mix and much lower gain than he could be using.

He's the kind of player that makes you put your guitar down for the rest of of the day......LOL

thornie

Silver Supporting Member
here's Yngwie at 15 years old, 1978. Fast forward to 10 minutes. He had it back then too.

somecafone

I went through an Yngwie phase years ago. Steeler, Alcatrazz, couple/three solo discs, saw him live twice plus once more at a festival. And, yes, for what he does, the single-string, harmonic minor, diminished arpeggio "thing," his technique is astounding.

My issue with him is his vocabulary. It's somewhat one dimensional.

I would liken it to James Earl Jones or Patrick Stewart reading the results of shaking the Magic 8 Ball over and over and over.

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
Saw Rising Force (with opener TALAS) in 1983(?). My face is permanently melted.
Probably '85 as I saw the same tour. Talas opened for Yngwie/Rising Force at a small club in New Jersey.
I had seen Yngwie the previous year when he was still w/ Alcatrazz, just before he split that band.

skhan007

here's Yngwie at 15 years old, 1978. Fast forward to 10 minutes. He had it back then too.

Cool! I had not seen this old footage before!! I've been an YJM fan since the plastic 45 came with Guitar Player back around the first album release. A few interesting things about that video- He's using the Blackmore setup with the Reel-to-Reel as a preamp. Where does a 15 year old get two Marshall stacks?? Also, it looks like he's playing the Duck strat, pre-road wear!