Yngwie - Finally the Blues album we have all been waiting for...

GTRJoe

Supporting Member
And now for something completely different.

"When I woke up this morning I saw both cars were gone
Yeah I woke up this morning and I saw both cars were gone
And I felt so bad I threw my drink across the lawn"

Martin Mull

Would it have killed him to plug a Stratocaster into a Bassman and just played with a trio? Maybe a little room reverb. Whatever.
That is what I was thinking while I listened to the track.
There is no denying the man's talent, and I've never heard anyone say they didn't like his vibrato.
One of his favorite Strats, a nice OD pedal, and a good amp with a bit of reverb would have let the nuances of his playing come through.

It's unfortunate that he's a victim of the "I can do everything myself" syndrome, because a great singer who can write cool lyrics, and a producer with talent could have made this a lot better IMO.

Deuterium

Well, I have the following reflections on the song "Sun's Up, Top's Down":

As a song, it sucks donkey balls...and the lyrics are downright embarrassing.

The production is ******.

However, the guitar playing is quite nice. :D

Nevertheless, I predict that when he actually plays this live, he will increase tempo by 20%, and play way too fast and sloppy, as he has been doing for the past 15+ years with all of his tunes.

With that said, absolutely no one should judge contemporary Yngwie as a guitarist and as a musician, without having knowledge and listening to his early work, both studio and live performances. Despite becoming a caricature of his former self, and despite his less-then graceful aging...he is a living legend, and an archetype of an electric guitar virtuoso.

I am old enough to remember what a watershed moment it was to first hear that acapella solo intro to "Hot on Your Heels", as well as the first Alcatrazz album...and understanding that electric rock guitar would never be the same.

Drak

To be quite serious, playing blues like that, he reminds me of Walter Trout from a decade ago.
Sounds more like vintage Walter than Yngwie in this style.
I mean, that's what Walter sounds like, and has sounded like for a long time, that's his thing.
Just sayin', not disrespectin' anyone...

dankayaker

It's not that far off of what Joe B. does . . a little more speed, little more delay. Not knocking either player. Both great in their own right.

Balok

I would love to like this but... His strats are not strung with 11s, he plays Marshalls, uses delay, has no tube screamer, no bowling shirt or slacks, no slicked back hair and did not play one lick of Muddy's, BB's, T-Bones or Freddie's. In fact he's just making stuff up that has never even been recorded before.
Does he really think he can just wear and play whatever he wants?

luv

I couldn't make it. Bad lyrics. Bad video. Weird face. Amazing chops, but eh.............

Deuterium

It's not that far off of what Joe B. does . . a little more speed, little more delay. Not knocking either player. Both great in their own right.
Well except for the fact that Yngwie could play anything Joe B. could play, but the reverse is hardly true. :)

27sauce

If I were a record company guy suggesting an album concept to him it would be to do some prog covers. Let him loose on something like King Crimson's "Fracture."
He did a covers album in the 90’s that had songs by Purple, Rush, UK, Scorps, Rainbow...

And I think he’s his own record company guy.