Yngwie Malmsteen Says His Debut Album Saved Fender From Going Out of Business

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Yamaha 350, May 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 83stratman

83stratman Supporting Member

Aug '87. Late '80s...

2. 83stratman

Late '70s/very early '80s, it most certainly was true.

3. runningman

runningman Member

not sure if this has been covered, but I worked in music retail about the time that album came out, and we were a Fender dealer (this was Rondo music's brick-and-mortar store before they went online and full-Agile).

We had that scalloped signature Yngwie strat and IIRC, they had to more or less give it away because no one wanted the scalloped neck.

That, and I don't recall anyone ever indicating that they were inspired to buy a Strat by YJM. SRV, Clapton, Beck, Gilmour, Edge, Jimi...absolutely and IIRC Jimmy Vaughan's sig strat came out around that time (early '90s)

mlj_gear likes this.
  4. 83stratman

Back then? The hair metal guy.

5. 83stratman

WTF? Another "I hate it, but I have never heard it!" response. LOL. TGP doesn't disappoint!

CJReaper and tribalfusion like this.
  6. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

I can read.
    The magazine was a little late.
    I recall the [post-Hendrix] Strat thing coming on strong mid-70s w/ Sweet Home, Sultans, Blackmore, then in the '80s w/ SRV of course, and countless radio tunes by Alan Parsons Project, Michael Jackson, and so on.

7. Coopster

Coopster Member

There's truth here. Gibson and Fender couldn't give guitars away in the 80's...or more correctly, the only people you saw playing them were people that that's the only thing they could afford or country and funk/soul artists, and country wasn't the booming industry it is now. If anyone "saved" Fender (which they honestly didn't REALLY need any help) it was Cobain and his Jaguar and all the rest of the bands of that era. And the reason they were all playing Gibson's and Fender's? Because they were cheap and easy to get. Man did that change, look at them now... Or wait... maybe the switch is flipping again. Of course that's all U.S. based bands and music... The strat was huge with the Brit's and their uber clean, new wave, reggae pop leanings.

Kind of like Vai. I've seen a lot of people complain about his ego but any time I've ever seen him talk about how awesome he himself is, his tongue is firmly in cheek. And the only time it wasn't was when he described himself as a pain in the ass to work with.

I wanted a Les Paul because Tom Keifer played one. I never cared for Slash at the time, of course I appreciate him (and Izzy) more now.

8. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I'm pretty skeptical Malmsteen had more success in the 80s than Dire Straits.

9. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

Except in the world which exists entirely in Yngwie's mind, where he's unparalleled!

A-Bone likes this.
  10. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

He may have saved a spandex company from going out of business, but not Fender.

11. Bobby Brown

Bobby Brown Member

Malmsteen during the worst days that Fender ever seen brought the guitar to the masses' attention as an unexplored territory, he gave an alternative to the possibility of electronics with something unseen by the masses that feeds big brands like Fender. He didn't save anything directly but he did more than anybody involved in old styles as Vaughan, Clapton and many others. I don't like Malmsteen's music but I have to agree with him.

skhan007 likes this.
  12. Honch

Honch Member

Well... (II):

[​IMG]

Came out late 84, when half of the 80s had passed.

13. Honch

Honch Member

If we should get into spelling, he actually spells his name:

Lars Johan Yngve Lannerbäck. ;)

Yngve is his THIRD name.
    Malmsten is his mothers maiden name.

Both spelled correctly. It's a very common name in Sweden, so he added the J. initial to separate him from the dime a dozen other Yngwie Malmsteens out there...:D

14. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

But the sounds he got using them, that stuck. It was much more present than harmonic-minor scales when it came to the charts in that era.

I get what you're saying about image, and it's not wrong. But Niles and those hits kept Fender sounds alive and relevant and that started even before Yngwie came out with his take on how Strats should sound in rock.

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  15. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

Made it about halfway through this thread. There's so much misinformation in it.

Yngwie's debut in the U.S. was with Steeler, fronted by Ron Keel. The debut album came out in '83. He left shortly after that to join Alcatrazz.

SRV released Texas Flood in '83 also.

Fender released the Eric Clapton signature Strat at the same time as the Yngwie signature Strat in 1988. Eric Clapton is a MUCH bigger household name than Yngwie will ever be.

Yngwie uses stacked single coils so it's not accurate to say he was using pure single coils in metal.

Glenn Tipton, K.K. Downing, Dave Murray, and Brad Gillis were just a few hard rock and metal players who were playing Fender Stratocasters before Yngwie came along.

I can't think of a single big name player who switched to playing Fender Strats in the 80's after Yngwie's debut.

The guitar heroes of the 80's continued playing Kramers, Charvels, Jacksons, Explorers, Flying V's, BC Rich, etc. throughout the decade until Glam Metal lost popularity.

I'm pretty sure Fender was still selling Telecasters in the 80's as well as Strats.

Strats remained popular in New Wave, pop, blues, R&B and other genres throughout the decade of the 80's.

I love Yngwie as a player but he's delusional.

FusionRock and Honch like this.
  16. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I'm not sure how much he even played on the things he produced in the 80's. But clean funk rhythm with compression and chorus was common in 80's pop.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  17. Honch

Honch Member

Both Yngwie and Clapton about the same time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Eric_Clapton_Stratocaster

"The Fender Eric Clapton Stratocaster is the signature model electric guitar of English guitarist Eric Clapton. It was the first signature model guitar released by Fender in 1988."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yngwie_Malmsteen

It was a month difference between them. In launch. The wikipedia site cites "1986" but that's way too early. Both were released around the same time, and within a month. I think Claptons were "less" of a signature, as Yngwies had scalloped frets and so on. DiMarzio pickups and so on.

And no, I don't think anyone that had any GAS for strats thought "ahh, the Clapton signature is out, but I'd rather wait until Yngwies hits the shores".

;)

18. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Yup true. But the HS-3's are really low output and sounds very "stratty" wih gain. Dull with clean tone though, but who use that? :D

19. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

That's really my point, and thanks for narrowing it down. It's not that Niles -- or anyone -- "saved" Fender, it's just that 80s R&B used the hell out of Strat sounds that were pretty hard to get from other planks, no matter who was playing the licks.

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  20. Wagster

Wagster Member

Yngwie brought the Strat back into metal/hard rock. I've met Yngwie in Miami while I was in town for a gig. He was very friendly and self deprecating. I'm sure he was a mess back in the heavy drinking days, but so were a lot of others too.

skhan007 and CJReaper like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.