Yngwie tone - another perspective

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by t0neg0d, Sep 20, 2005.

1. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Hi everyone...

In another discussion regaurding YM's tone, I posted this clip. That discussion has disappeared and I was actually interested in feedback as to similarities, difference and your take on YM's tone clones and what gear you used to get the sound?

Yngwie tone clone?

In this clip, I used a JMP 50watt, a treble booster with no added gain and a strat with Fraylin's. This was a one shot attempt... and I didn't bother figuring out what he was actually playing... so it is an approximation strictly focused on tone. I think the mic'ing needs a little work (that boxy sorta overtone you hear in his recordings)... you?

In the way-back machine I used to really dig YM and I thought this was a fun discussion. Your input is overly welcome!

2. Deaj

Deaj Member

I was posting a response when the last discussion was deleted. I don't understand why it was pulled - seemed an interesting topic to me.

Thanks for reposting this clip and reopening the discussion. I still listen to 'Rising Force' and 'Marching Out' from time to time - great stuff! While I can't even pretend to play that way I do dig the tone.
    :dude

Allowing for differences in recording methods, actual equipment used, and the player I'd say you're clip comes very close to the tone on the actual track (posted below for reference).

Black Star clip from Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force album

Pretty close man! The attack in your recording is more prominent (in your face) and a bit harder but similar otherwise. You definitely have the 'wailing' that his sustained notes and vibrato had nailed down very well.

Your playing is smokin' too!!! :dude

3. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Really excelent points Deaj... couple questions. Not that YM's tone is the end all be all... but trying to reproduce a recorded sound got me think about a couple of things.

Do you think the volume it was recorded at plays significant role in the recorded sound?

Do you think that the recording were done using ambient mic'ing only? I am starting to think so... because the initial attack of each note is so indistinct. I noticed the overtone of the ambient mic I used helped shape the sound a lot in this recording.

Do you think the media it was recorded to (i.e. tape) is playing much of a factor in the over-all sound in the final production? Thoughts were kinda veering towards tape saturation playing a part in the indistinct attack to the notes... if you listen to the original record... the same kinda blur can be heard on the drums and bass as well.

Thanks a ton for the feedback you two!

4. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Ok... I took the same tracks... knocked down the direct mic'ing, panned the 2 guitar tracks left and right like in the original clip and played with a tape sim plug-in to see what effect that would have. Just backing off the direct mic'ing changed the initial attack dramatically. Let me know whatcha think...

Yngwie tone clone 2

Starting to think that I may be right about the recording with ambient mic'ing exclusively.

-- EDIT --
    No... this can't be right. The phase between the two mics is distinct in the initial recording. Maybe the direct mic is backed off a bit?

5. Deaj

Deaj Member

I think that any/all of the factors mentioned will impact the outcome cumulatively and experimentation would likely yield a resulting tone so close it'd be hard to tell them apart. Interesting...

6. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Well... this was fun. Just as a side not, the sound I was hearing in the room was vastly different than that on the recording I submitted. The mic's and mic placement played a significant role in the final product... more than I would have initially thought. Definately gives me some new info to chew on.

7. unix-guy

unix-guy Member

Hey t0neg0d,

its pretty close, but YJM's tone (comparing your clip with the original posted) seems a little "rounder" and "fatter" to me. Maybe a little volume and/or tone roll-off on the guitar? Your tone seemed a little brighter and thinner.

Also, maybe just mixing the whole track thru a little reverb my get that sound...

Kevin

8. myles loud

myles loud Supporting Member

hey tonegod!!!
    nice post!! i think there's too much treble on your clip, tho it could be due to mic placement. but even the first clip has to much. try scratchin' the treble booster.
    what guitar are you using? what cab are you using?
    myles

9. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Heya Myles...

I actually have the tone knob turned all the way up (max treble)... I'll try another go with the tone knob adjusted before killing it all together.

The guitar is a koa bodied strat... rosewood neck and fret board.

The cab is a 4x12 w/ vintage 30's (which I am not overly fond of... but like the way they record)

I'll post another go when I get a chance... this is actually been a cool learning experience. It is neat to see how much mic's and mic placement plays into a recorded sound you like.

10. myles loud

myles loud Supporting Member

hey toneking!!
    i've read about some great results mic'ing the side of the cab with a condenser mic, very woody sounding.
    also of to the side of the cab, just like when you find the sweet spot for listening to your amp, maybe try mic'ing that spot instead of directly in front.
    i'm listening on alesis monitor ones for reference.
    is your fret board scalloped? you've got some nice pickups in there, fralin???
    myles