York Audio Impulse Response Library

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by John Mark Painter, Dec 17, 2019.

1. the swede

the swede Member

@Drop the sun was right though... what the #€%& there's something really special going on in Zilla mix 8 (blended speakers folder). Cant put my finger on it though... Im still new to high gain and working every day to "find myself" with amps and IR for high gain... but that Zilla... the thing just rocks.

York Audio and Drop the sun like this.
  2. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Aaaaand now I need to buy that one. :D

3. the swede

the swede Member

well... usually... he touches an amp model with any kind of stock cab or IR and turns it into gold, and when I try... it sound like poo... that kind of dude :D
    But yeah... the Zilla is great. That and the Deluxe are my favorite York IR packs.

Drop the sun likes this.
  4. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

You know I had to grab the MRSH 20 this am.......I'm a sucker for anything G12-ish..................

5. Fireproof

Fireproof Supporting Member

Dang it - you and this discussion just cost me another $20.

Drop the sun likes this.
  6. the swede

the swede Member

Just make sure you got food and pay the bills and stuffs and you'll be fine :D

Fireproof likes this.
  7. PepAlmeida

PepAlmeida Member

I have bought the marsh m20 and the mtschless and man. I have to contain myself to not buy everything even though I have more IRs than I will ever need.

I already loved some clips from Justin he posted on the fractal forum, and i guess the sound in my head is very similar to what he likes because in different kind of sounds it really hits the spot for me.

And the marsh m20 really surprised me how it is more open and full range that a conventional greenback M25. I really recommend them

York Audio and GaryMcT like this.
  8. York Audio

York Audio Vendor

You guys are making me happy. Thanks for the kind words!

Soooooooo.... I just released a Vox AC15 with an Alnico Blue, and I'm pretty pumped about it. Here's a quick clip. It's not perfect, but I think it sounds pretty sweet. If you need me, I'll be in Voxy land for a while.

9. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

Sweet! I’ll be buying that this evening, I’ve been waiting for an Alnico.

York Audio likes this.
  10. Starquasi

Starquasi Member

[​IMG]

Gasp100 and York Audio like this.
  11. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Do the Vox impulses have a decent amount of low end to them? My pet peeve for them is when they are too thin and boxy. I like a little meat to them.

So I'm really enjoying the York Bogner V30 impulses at this point. I am using it on all three of the modelers I'm playing with (Helix, Headrush, Axe 3).

You know what the "secret" has been for me? More aggressive cuts!

The last few months with all the hype around cuts not being "needed", I've been fighting sounds that are overly bassy in the lows or overly bright in the highs. Well now I'm starting to use cuts that are closer to 100 Hz on the lows and 6-6.5 kHz on the highs and it's coming across as much more balanced for all modelers (well the Headrush tends to need high cuts closer to 8-10k as it's a little darker).

I still think the York impulses are "bright" but in a way that has a lot of high end content, not in a way that is harsh or unnatural or phasey or anything. In fact they sound really "clean" to me as they seem smooth through the frequencies. Kind of like how some 3 Sigma impulses can sound really pleasing as they are kind of scooped but that's too far to the extreme, the York stuff is pleasing but more balanced.

So using those fairly bright but balanced/smooth impulses with more aggressive cuts is giving a nice punchy tone without nearly as much fussing with amp EQ settings. I can use the Fractal Friedman HBE and not really touch anything other than get the high/low cut in place. Similarly, the Helix Placater with fairly balanced EQ settings sounds really good.

12. York Audio

York Audio Vendor

These definitely have some good meat on the bone with a healthy amount of lows and low-mids. You’ll probably end up cutting lows with humbucker guitars and you won’t have to goose the bass with single coils.

That’s great that you found the cuts that work for you. Like I mentioned earlier, look at it like two additional EQ knobs on your amp. Whether they’re off or cranked up, all that matters is that you get the tone you like. :)

dougb415 and Jarick like this.
  13. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Absolutely that's the way I'm using them...shape the highs and lows and then you have the sweet spot of mids coming through. Seriously I don't think the Helix ever sounded this good before, and I've been using it for a few years!

York Audio likes this.
  14. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

The AC15 IR are REALLY REALLY REALLY good. I really like them. Really.

Also try them with the Tweed Helix models.....

BozoTone, Gasp100, York Audio and 2 others like this.
  15. 108

108 Member

YES! Thanks Justin, I grabbed the Vox pack and can't wait to throw my Voxy amps (HW15, Bad Cat Cub, Matchless Lightning) through them in the morning.

York Audio likes this.
  16. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

I’ll have to try them when I’m next to my ac30 clone again!

York Audio likes this.
  17. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

Love it, awesome!

Shout-out to Justine's customer service too, I made a mess and he knocked it out of the park.

York Audio likes this.
  18. York Audio

York Audio Vendor

I’m liking the AC15 equally with the Helix and the Axe-Fx III (sounds great with the Iridium chime amp too). It has a surprising amount of body for a 1x12 and sounds a bit more focused compared to its 2x12 counterpart.

19. PepAlmeida

PepAlmeida Member

For some reason I usually prefer the 1x12 IRs even on some speakers that are mostly seen on rock in 412 like v30, greenbacks etc. It's definitely a different character and flavor!

20. stw500

stw500 Member

In post #243 I described the music genres i play and which sound I like. Thanks to John Painter I bought the DXVB Pack from York Audio. These are my impressions, perhaps also for the ones who never bought a york audio IR: In the DXVB pack are round about 400 IRs adapted to several devices. Using a headrush gigboard I choose the hightest bitrate IRs which are round about 100 pieces, devided in single captures and 10 mix-captures (two mics at once).

First of all I don´t expect all or even many IRs in a pack to be „my tone“. In relation to many other freely available IRs these ones are not spongy, unclear, muddled but really clean, transparent and open, which is really good to me. But I missed a warm and mellow tone I always prefer most, perhaps because of playing only at home and not in a band. Even the mix-IRs didn´t bring the tone i looked for, using several amps in the gigboard from fender to jcm800 to vox 30. But there is one exception, which is the 121-5 (Based on Royer™ R-121 mic), which contains all the warm and mellow tone and at the same time is clear and open. This one IR is now my always to use and best IR in my collection, so it was really worth buying the DXVB pack.

It amazes me that the AKG C414 is less warm than the Royer R-121, because I always noticed it as a very warm micro and the cabs stored in the gigboard were always the warmest with 414.

At the moment I still play with the thought to buy the MTCH 212, MRSH 412 Blackjack or especially VX15 112 BLUE, I am only in view of the small ratio with DXVB (100:1) uncertain whether with the aforementioned packs a sufficiently warm IR is really contained for me. What do you think of that?

By the way, in my opinion the sound sample for the VX15 on the website of york audio sounds a bit warmer (more bass) than on soundcloud. Different player, different sound or just my ears?