York Audio Impulse Response Library

god.machine

Just getting into the modeling game with the purchase of the Headrush MX5. I'm waiting for it to be delivered, but ended up just buying a couple YA IR packs.

My question is, do I load ALL of the IR's onto the MX5 and just keep them there, or do you test out the ones you like and delete the rest? Does it matter?

York Audio

Vendor
Hey @York Audio, any plans to make full blown Helix/Kemper/etc preset packs that feature your IRs? I'd totally be down for some of those!
Helix presets are probably doable since their firmware updates don’t tend to make drastic impacts on previously made presets. I’d have to give the Kemper another shot, but it’s hard for me to get past the sonic imprint it puts on every profile.

It’s a possibility though, and something I’ll definitely consider.

Just getting into the modeling game with the purchase of the Headrush MX5. I'm waiting for it to be delivered, but ended up just buying a couple YA IR packs.

My question is, do I load ALL of the IR's onto the MX5 and just keep them there, or do you test out the ones you like and delete the rest? Does it matter?
Thanks for grabbing those packs, and welcome to the awesome world of digital modeling!

Everyone has their own method for IR selection and storage, but here’s what I normally recommend trying:

First of all, don’t delete any files. Back then up on an external drive so you always have access to everything.

To audition IRs, I like opening my DAW and using an IR loading plugin. It makes auditioning quick and painless without having to load stuff into your device.

Start by creating a new preset and pick the amp you want to use. Load Mix 01 into the IR loading plugin (make sure all low/high cuts are turned OFF as well as any other parameter offered in the loader for the best results) and tweak your amp to sound good with that IR.

Then, try the other Mixes and make notes about your favorite ones and then load those into your unit. You can follow the same process for Single Mics if you feel the need.

Pro tip: Use a Looper at the front of your patch and play a chord progression. Doing this keeps the acoustic volume of your guitar from skewing your tonal perception and helps you to hear your tone more accurately and make better decisions.

I hope this helps. You’ll have to let us know how you like your MX5.

b80

Helix presets are probably doable since their firmware updates don’t tend to make drastic impacts on previously made presets. I’d have to give the Kemper another shot, but it’s hard for me to get past the sonic imprint it puts on every profile.

Thanks for grabbing those packs, and welcome to the awesome world of digital modeling!

Everyone has their own method for IR selection and storage, but here’s what I normally recommend trying:

First of all, don’t delete any files. Back then up on an external drive so you always have access to everything.

To audition IRs, I like opening my DAW and using an IR loading plugin. It makes auditioning quick and painless without having to load stuff into your device.

Start by creating a new preset and pick the amp you want to use. Load Mix 01 into the IR loading plugin (make sure all low/high cuts are turned OFF as well as any other parameter offered in the loader for the best results) and tweak your amp to sound good with that IR.

Then, try the other Mixes and make notes about your favorite ones and then load those into your unit. You can follow the same process for Single Mics if you feel the need.

Pro tip: Use a Looper at the front of your patch and play a chord progression. Doing this keeps the acoustic volume of your guitar from skewing your tonal perception and helps you to hear your tone more accurately and make better decisions.

Rad. I have a Helix Floor, so, whatever you put out I'd likely try! Thanks for the info!

blues bird

Gold Supporting Member

First, I'd like to say thank you for taking the time to be so active in the discussion here. I think it's cool and very useful when manufacturers discuss with their users.

I have a question about what you wrote: I have a FM9 and there you can set yes in two places (once directly for the IR's and then in the pre amp section) in the cab block LowCut and HiCut filters. I see many presets where this is used: typically around 70Hz for the LowCut and around 10 kHz for the HiCut. If you think of the frequency response of an electric guitar and the following guitar cabinet, this seems understandable.

What do you think of this practice, especially with regard to the optimal use of your own IRs?

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve got the $1 Mesa 2x12. And the full matchless pack, I want to run two IRs using the matchless amp in the HX Stomp. Which combination of IRs have you found works well? And has anyone ever mixed one the matchless cabs along with the 2x12 v30 mesa cab?
Look at the mic combos listed in the manual as a reference

When mixing IR, listen to the difference between Natural and MPT.
Sometimes the phase cancellation of the Natural creates goodness :)

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
I picked up the Twin pack today and tested out with the Helix...one thing I don't like with the Helix is that the Double Verb Nrm is too boxy sounding while the Double Verb Vib is way too scooped. Usually I use the Vib channel for cleans but pair it up with a more mid-focused 2x12 or 4x12 cab. With the Twin cab, it's bright and scooped normally, and then switch to position 4 on a Strat and it's way over the top.

No such issues with Fractal by the way...much easier to tame the scoop with the Double Vib model. Not sure what voodoo Fractal does but most of the amps sound great with the knobs at 5, or only tweaked a bit.

god.machine

Wow, thank you for the detailed response. Can't wait to try them out. I assume I'll end up buying a lot more of these packs once I figure out what I'm doing.

the swede

I have an mx5 and if you have any questions about loading in IRs just drop by in the Mx5 thread and ask.

Short version: mx5 acts as an external drive in your computer, after you connected the cable and activate “usb transfer”. so you drag and drop (make sure to copy, not move) folders into the Impulse Response folder on the mx5, then unmount it and then press sync on the mx5 display. Then you go to the IR block and scroll through the IR pack folders. While playing guitar, the mx5 will audition the first IR located in the folder as you scroll the folders, very neat. If you then go into the folder itself you can play and audition every file inside. Optimally you will use one folder for each Cab containing a selection of IRs.

In my case I just go into the York pack on my computer, go to the 96k folder and take the “Mix” folder (wich contains the various mix IRs). I then rename that folder to YA Marshall M25. I take it a further step and rename the mix files to “mix 1 - 57+121” and so forth. When you buy a York pack there is a pdf file that tells you what each mix is. And similarly if you want to use single mic IRs.

Here’s what that would look like in the mx5

god.machine

I have an mx5 and if you have any questions about loading in IRs just drop by in the Mx5 thread and ask.

Short version: mx5 acts as an external drive in your computer, after you connected the cable and activate “usb transfer”. so you drag and drop (make sure to copy, not move) folders into the Impulse Response folder on the mx5, then unmount it and then press sync on the mx5 display. Then you go to the IR block and scroll through the IR pack folders. While playing guitar, the mx5 will audition the first IR located in the folder as you scroll the folders, very neat. If you then go into the folder itself you can play and audition every file inside. Optimally you will use one folder for each Cab containing a selection of IRs.

In my case I just go into the York pack on my computer, go to the 96k folder and take the “Mix” folder (wich contains the various mix IRs). I then rename that folder to YA Marshall M25. I take it a further step and rename the mix files to “mix 1 - 57+121” and so forth. When you buy a York pack there is a pdf file that tells you what each mix is. And similarly if you want to use single mic IRs.

Here’s what that would look like in the mx5

Wow, this is awesome, thanks! I have been reading quite a bit in the MX5 thread, which is what turned me on to the York IR's, so thanks for that. I'm sure I'll be posting more when I actually get my hands on the unit. Scheduled for delivery today.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
@slowburn I do an H30 and M25, both mixes. I’m not an IR tweaker so honestly have never dig into the single mic captures. I almost always end up on mix 01 or 02.

York Audio

Vendor
First, I'd like to say thank you for taking the time to be so active in the discussion here. I think it's cool and very useful when manufacturers discuss with their users.

I have a question about what you wrote: I have a FM9 and there you can set yes in two places (once directly for the IR's and then in the pre amp section) in the cab block LowCut and HiCut filters. I see many presets where this is used: typically around 70Hz for the LowCut and around 10 kHz for the HiCut. If you think of the frequency response of an electric guitar and the following guitar cabinet, this seems understandable.

What do you think of this practice, especially with regard to the optimal use of your own IRs?
You definitely don’t want to mess with the cuts in the preamp section of the Amp block. Those settings are accurate to the amp’s preamp section, so changing those would be like modding your amp. If you NEED to use low/high cuts, use the ones in the Cab block.

The general answer is that you can use those cuts if tweaking your amp’s controls doesn’t give you the low end and top end response you’re wanting.

Personally, I keep the cuts off when dialing in the amp. The mic hears what the mic hears, and the IRs accurately reflect the natural low end and top end found in those mics and mic positions. If I’m recording, I’ll set the low cut to around 80 Hz just to clean things up a bit, but that’s it.

As far as presets that have the 80 Hz low cut and 10k high cut… I think that’s something that started happening a while ago when modelers weren’t as good as they are now. They had more piercing highs rather than the airy top end we have now in some units. Cutting at 10k shaves off a lot of energy that gives your tone separation and life… and makes it easier to get lost in the mix. IF a high cut is ever needed after tweaking the amp, I gradually take it down just to the point where it helps my problem area. Typically, that’s around 15k or so, but I wouldn’t suggest going any lower than 12k.

I picked up the Twin pack today and tested out with the Helix...one thing I don't like with the Helix is that the Double Verb Nrm is too boxy sounding while the Double Verb Vib is way too scooped. Usually I use the Vib channel for cleans but pair it up with a more mid-focused 2x12 or 4x12 cab. With the Twin cab, it's bright and scooped normally, and then switch to position 4 on a Strat and it's way over the top.

No such issues with Fractal by the way...much easier to tame the scoop with the Double Vib model. Not sure what voodoo Fractal does but most of the amps sound great with the knobs at 5, or only tweaked a bit.
The Middle on a real Twin is more like a low-mid control. If you feel like the Normal channel sounds boxy, try bringing that down to see if it balances things out for you. The real amp doesn’t have a Presence control, so try bringing that down too to see if that helps.

The thing to remember is that Twins are typically pretty bright amps, and the treble knob can have HUGE differences turning it up or down even a single number, so pay close attention to that knob in particular.

blues bird

Gold Supporting Member
You definitely don’t want to mess with the cuts in the preamp section of the Amp block. Those settings are accurate to the amp’s preamp section, so changing those would be like modding your amp. If you NEED to use low/high cuts, use the ones in the Cab block.

The general answer is that you can use those cuts if tweaking your amp’s controls doesn’t give you the low end and top end response you’re wanting.

Personally, I keep the cuts off when dialing in the amp. The mic hears what the mic hears, and the IRs accurately reflect the natural low end and top end found in those mics and mic positions. If I’m recording, I’ll set the low cut to around 80 Hz just to clean things up a bit, but that’s it.

As far as presets that have the 80 Hz low cut and 10k high cut… I think that’s something that started happening a while ago when modelers weren’t as good as they are now. They had more piercing highs rather than the airy top end we have now in some units. Cutting at 10k shaves off a lot of energy that gives your tone separation and life… and makes it easier to get lost in the mix. IF a high cut is ever needed after tweaking the amp, I gradually take it down just to the point where it helps my problem area. Typically, that’s around 15k or so, but I wouldn’t suggest going any lower than 12k.

The Middle on a real Twin is more like a low-mid control. If you feel like the Normal channel sounds boxy, try bringing that down to see if it balances things out for you. The real amp doesn’t have a Presence control, so try bringing that down too to see if that helps.

The thing to remember is that Twins are typically pretty bright amps, and the treble knob can have HUGE differences turning it up or down even a single number, so pay close attention to that knob in particular.
Thank you for the insight - very helpful!

PS : I was talking about the cuts in the preamp section of the cab block - emulates a mike pre, I guess. But of course, one could argue that those are bit redundant since there are already cuts in the IR section of the cab block…

York Audio

Vendor
Thank you for the insight - very helpful!

PS : I was talking about the cuts in the preamp section of the cab block - emulates a mike pre, I guess. But of course, one could argue that those are bit redundant since there are already cuts in the IR section of the cab block…
Ah, now I gotcha… sorry I misunderstood you the first time. The cuts in the preamp page of the Cab block are like “Master Cuts” that affect everything in the Cab block, so it’s not meant to emulate a mic pre or anything.

The individual cuts in each IR slot was actually a wish list request of mine. It lets you use what you want from each IR without impacting the whole mix. For instance, say you’ve made a 57-421 mix and love the midrange character of a 421, but the top end is too aggressive and the low end is woofy. You don’t want to cut anything in the 57 but just want to tweak the 421. You can set the 421’s low cut to 140Hz to get rid of the low end you didn’t like and can set the high cut to 12k to get rid of some of the top end you didn’t like. Now your mix sounds awesome and you play a bunch of guitar. :)

That’s pretty much it. I don’t use the individual cuts too much these days, but it’s a cool tool to help you craft your cab tone.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member

Interesting, so you don't really use high or low cuts anymore? I still find I need to take the high end down around 10-12k unless the amp is particularly harsh.

York Audio

Vendor
Interesting, so you don't really use high or low cuts anymore? I still find I need to take the high end down around 10-12k unless the amp is particularly harsh.
No, I don’t really use cuts at all except for around 80 Hz when recording. My studio is professionally treated and I’ve got some pretty awesome monitors, so my listening environment helps that tremendously. If you’re playing in a room that isn’t treated very well, you could have lots of harsh reflections that get less abrasive if you cut some top end… I did that before moving into my current studio and had no idea how much my room was affecting what I was hearing. I also don’t use headphones when playing guitar because they color the sound so much. But if I have to use headphones, I actually really like the Slate VMR headphones. They sound very neutral as standalone headphones, so I don’t even use the VMR plugin with them.

But that’s just me. If your listening environment or headphones makes you want to use cuts, go for it! As long as you like what you’re hearing, that’s all that matters.

blues bird

Gold Supporting Member
Ah, now I gotcha… sorry I misunderstood you the first time. The cuts in the preamp page of the Cab block are like “Master Cuts” that affect everything in the Cab block, so it’s not meant to emulate a mic pre or anything.

The individual cuts in each IR slot was actually a wish list request of mine. It lets you use what you want from each IR without impacting the whole mix. For instance, say you’ve made a 57-421 mix and love the midrange character of a 421, but the top end is too aggressive and the low end is woofy. You don’t want to cut anything in the 57 but just want to tweak the 421. You can set the 421’s low cut to 140Hz to get rid of the low end you didn’t like and can set the high cut to 12k to get rid of some of the top end you didn’t like. Now your mix sounds awesome and you play a bunch of guitar. :)

That’s pretty much it. I don’t use the individual cuts too much these days, but it’s a cool tool to help you craft your cab tone.

Thanks again. So cool. I never thought of it that way but it makes total sense what you‘ve said about the individual cuts on each IR slot. It is same like on a recording console (or DAW for that matter): using each mikes channel filter to sculpture the mike blend.

b80

OH yeah, the room matters big time!!

In my experience, the same preset has sounded different in my house and in the various places I play live. What I usually do to combat this is add a separate EQ block in my Helix chain and adjust that instead of trying to adjust the amp or IR blocks. Seems to do the trick for me, at least!

squealie

I didn't read 194 pages of this.

I'm a 4x12 guy. I grabbed the YA Mesa OS cabs several months ago. I spin up Mix 03 on all of my patches and never look back. These are superbly shot IRs. I've been down the rabbit-hole with lots of IRs and found lots of frustration. I think that lots of guys could benefit from just committing to ANY IR and tweaking the rest of the rig accordingly.

Anyways, thanks Justin. I love your riffs, and love your IRs. I think I was using your stuff before it was commercial.

MrTAteMyBalls

If I am not mistaken, on the real Fender amp setting it "flat" means something like

Bass-3
Mids - 8
Treble - 6

So, maybe start there and see if it removes some of the scoop to have the mids knob quite high in comparison to the others.

No idea if it will help.....just a shot in the dark here.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom