York Audio Impulse Response Library

John Mark Painter

Supporting Member
Can someone recommend me 4 packs that I should definitely get. So far I am definitely going to get the Vox. Which of the two Mesa ones should I get? Besides that thinking of maybe one Marshall one (which one?). Any other that is highly recommended?
The “food groups” Fender, Vox, Vintage 30, Greenback. Then there are variables with the cabs and speaker wattage

Yeah

I tried YA IRs with the 1$ Mesa and the result was dropping all other previous IRs i was using! So i also got the Friedman IRs = high gain heaven (mostly using Mix 05/06 of the Blend with the Helix Placater).

Been reading many recommendations for the YA M25 Greenback, how does it compare to the GB M25 mixes in the Friedman pack?
Nice nice....I did the same exact thing. Was blown away with the $1 demo pack so I purchased the Friedman pack as well. I’m also using mix 06 of the blend pack pretty much with all the high gain amps in atomic amplifire 6. Very satisfied with YA so far. I m also interested in the M25 and T75 packs as well

the29band

Supporting Member
Okay so I am getting the VX30 212, MRSH 412 M25, DXVB Verb Deluxe....I'd like to get one more out of the MES412, MES412 TRAD or FDMN 412. Which one would you recommend of these three?

glanum3

Can someone recommend me 4 packs that I should definitely get. So far I am definitely going to get the Vox. Which of the two Mesa ones should I get? Besides that thinking of maybe one Marshall one (which one?). Any other that is highly recommended?
Totally want to play this game!
1) Matchless (this my choice clean/EoB IR)
2) Friedman (goto for crunch)
3) Mesa 2x12 (I love 2x12) (goto for edgier stuff)
4) this one is hard. Vox 1x12 or fender 4x10 bassman.

I love the Marshalls too! M25 (got this model my non-digital rig with a Marshall 425 vm cab)

johnnyg88

what up! I want to get one more Marshall pack. I have the Friedman. for the cleanish funky Hendrix stuff (with room for fuzz of course), is it the M20 or 25? thank u!

theevilone

I'm writing this from memory but I think the Friedman one is more open, sizzly top. The other one has less top end and more middle. I hope I got this right.

But what I'm sure is that I like the "regular" non Friedman one better.

In theory I like everything Friedman so I was certain I would like IRs also. A long ago I bought ML Sound Lab Friedman pack and after good first impressions, eventually I didn't like it so much because of that top end that is sizzly and all around IRs were quite scooped for my taste. I hear the same sonic signature in York Friedman IRs but I think that is the confirmation that these cabs just sound like this. I think Friedman would be the perfect fit for modern Marshally sounds. They are not worlds apart, you still hear that Greenback but in different flavour. Are they worth it? Definitely yes.

On the other hand I never really bonded with Mesa sound but the York 212 Mesa V30 Blend 1 is one of the best IRs I have in my large collection.

Madmax25

Vox AC30 (from reputation)
Fender Deluxe
Bogner V30 4x12
Marshall M25 4x12
Matchless
Marshall M25
Friedman
Mesa Trad
Totally want to play this game!
1) Matchless (this my choice clean/EoB IR)
2) Friedman (goto for crunch)
3) Mesa 2x12 (I love 2x12) (goto for edgier stuff)
4) this one is hard. Vox 1x12 or fender 4x10 bassman.

I love the Marshalls too! M25 (got this model my non-digital rig with a Marshall 425 vm cab)
Bogner
Mesa 2x2
Fender
Friedman
...so you guys are basically saying get them all... :D

John Mark Painter

Supporting Member
The different speaker wattages and cab designs can make a significant difference.
until you play them with your gear/hands in a few different applications and mixes its hard to know what your favorite will be.

Luckily, they all sound ‘good’. And experimenting with $15 is much more fun than experimenting with thousands

If all I had was the AC15, Mesa 212 and Ampeg I’d be set (basically what my personal gear has been over the years). But it’s fun to have some extreme options like the T75 and Friedman to blend in and use for stacking

Last edited:
It is almost scary how the mesa 2x12 sounds good for everything you throw at it.
Its pretty smart that he made the 1$ demo with that massively ambivalent pack.
I would say its the safest pack of all...other packs could be "better" for some specific sounds/flavors...but the mesa 212 will always deliver

1º Mesa 212
2º Marshall m25
3º either Fender, vox, matchless depending on the flavor of clean sounds you prefer (I fell in love with the matchless demo)
4º depends on your needs because i think those 3 packs cover everything in the spectrum:
the ampeg is great if you do any bass at all. Mesa 412 OS delivers the metal high gain. Marshall t75 if you are into the 80s sound, etc...

Yeah

I bought the Marshall T75 pack last night and just finally had a chance to test it out. At first I loaded up the YJM IR and I did not care for it. It was dark and bass heavy. Then I loaded up some of the other mixes 01,06,10 and I was really digging them. Then I thought about the YJM IR some more and I figured I should probably really setup a YJM setup so I broke out my Yngwie strat, used a plexi amp model with bass down, mids, treble, presence up, OD infront dimed volume and drive and It aounds amazing. I played for 2 hours then I switched over to a Charvel, lowered the gain on the OD and played for another hour. Completely lost track of time I was so into playing. That YJM IR turned out to be Amazing I love it. Just had to turn bass down and up the highs on the amp model. I didn’t think I was going to like these YA IR’s so much. Pretty sure I’m going for the M25 pack next!.....or maybe the Bogner.....or one of the Mesa 4x12’s....

York Audio

Vendor
Oh my goodness, just dropped a bunch of new (to me) York Audio IR's in my FM3 and the YA Greenback 25 Mix 1 just KILLED me. Wow, that with a Plexi... dude. I'm in heaven.

Also picked up the Friedman, Vox 212 Blue (!!!!!!!!!), and T75. Freaking rock and roll!!!
Thanks for the kind words, Scott. I agree on the MRSH M25. That cab is pure rock n’ roll and sounds insane with a Plexi!

I tried YA IRs with the 1$ Mesa and the result was dropping all other previous IRs i was using! So i also got the Friedman IRs = high gain heaven (mostly using Mix 05/06 of the Blend with the Helix Placater).

Been reading many recommendations for the YA M25 Greenback, how does it compare to the GB M25 mixes in the Friedman pack?
The MRSH M25 is very different from the FDMN M25. I’d say the MRSH M25 feels deeper in the low end, more controlled in the low-mids, and a little smoother in the upper mids. The FDMN M25 is fuller in the low-mids and has more pick attack in the upper mids. They’re both great, just different flavors.

If it were me only getting four packs, I’d go with the VX30, MES 212 (great V30 all-rounder), and MRSH M25 for sure. For the fourth, that’s a tricky one and depends on what you’re looking for. If you get those three and feel like you have a tonal color you’re missing, email me and I’ll help you with some recommendations.

York Audio

Vendor
I'm writing this from memory but I think the Friedman one is more open, sizzly top. The other one has less top end and more middle. I hope I got this right.

But what I'm sure is that I like the "regular" non Friedman one better.

In theory I like everything Friedman so I was certain I would like IRs also. A long ago I bought ML Sound Lab Friedman pack and after good first impressions, eventually I didn't like it so much because of that top end that is sizzly and all around IRs were quite scooped for my taste. I hear the same sonic signature in York Friedman IRs but I think that is the confirmation that these cabs just sound like this. I think Friedman would be the perfect fit for modern Marshally sounds. They are not worlds apart, you still hear that Greenback but in different flavour. Are they worth it? Definitely yes.

On the other hand I never really bonded with Mesa sound but the York 212 Mesa V30 Blend 1 is one of the best IRs I have in my large collection.
Yup, that's just the character of Friedman cabs. They have big low-mids and some nice sizzle in the top end to compliment their amps, which tend to be on the darker side. I like that cab with a bunch of amps though. Just gotta tweak the amp's presence and treble to get it to sit where you want. The cab was MUCH brighter when I first got it, but I have a few things I do to new cabs to get them to settle in a bit and think the Friedman turned out great!

And I totally agree on the Mesa 212. That cab is hard to beat for V30s.

It is almost scary how the mesa 2x12 sounds good for everything you throw at it.
Its pretty smart that he made the 1$ demo with that massively ambivalent pack.
I would say its the safest pack of all...other packs could be "better" for some specific sounds/flavors...but the mesa 212 will always deliver.
That exactly the reason why I chose the MES 212 for the demo pack. It sounded great with every amp and guitar I used and thought it would be a nice neutral playing experience for people wanting to dip their toes in the YA water. :)

I bought the Marshall T75 pack last night and just finally had a chance to test it out. At first I loaded up the YJM IR and I did not care for it. It was dark and bass heavy. Then I loaded up some of the other mixes 01,06,10 and I was really digging them. Then I thought about the YJM IR some more and I figured I should probably really setup a YJM setup so I broke out my Yngwie strat, used a plexi amp model with bass down, mids, treble, presence up, OD infront dimed volume and drive and It aounds amazing. I played for 2 hours then I switched over to a Charvel, lowered the gain on the OD and played for another hour. Completely lost track of time I was so into playing. That YJM IR turned out to be Amazing I love it. Just had to turn bass down and up the highs on the amp model. I didn’t think I was going to like these YA IR’s so much. Pretty sure I’m going for the M25 pack next!.....or maybe the Bogner.....or one of the Mesa 4x12’s....
Thank you for proving the point that tweaking your amp is CRUCIAL in getting the tone you're after. I got a similar reaction from a customer using the VX30 Mix BMAY for a Queen tone. He thought it was too dark, so I had him turn his bass, treble, and high cut to zero like Brian does, put a treble booster pedal in front of the amp, and use a textured pick or a coin for the right attack. He made the tweaks and BAM, he couldn't believe how close he got to Brian's tone.

I'm so glad you're having fun with the MRSH T75 Mix YJM! That one took me forever to nail after listening to hours of Yngwie and A/B'ing. I don't use any tone matching to make my signature mixes, so it's all about trial and error in finding the right mic combos and placements to get the tone naturally. It makes me really happy that the effort was worth it and you're enjoying playing it.

dhdfoster

Silver Supporting Member
I just bought the Bassman pack for my Iridium. It’s my very first purchase of IRs ever. They sound great, but I’m a bit overwhelmed with all the choices.

My tastes tend to run towards pre-rock, roots/rockabilly tones, so I should probably start with the vintage condensers.