York Audio Vox AC30 is the U2 sound, and more

I just downloaded the new York Audio Vox AC30.

I finally found what I was looking for (U2)

I easily dialed in early U2 sounds, that were never quite right with the Celeston Alnico Blue IRs

but the best early U2 were not with the included U2 IR.

This one is THE Vox AC30 sound. The best Vox so far.

I like it more than the York AC15. More chime.

The closest to my Goodsell 17 and 33 so far.

Now that I finally have my U2 sounds,

it's time to warm up the Brian May guitar and play with phase settings.

LolainNB

Please, tell me more. Been struggling with a bad U2 tone for a while now. Some days are better than others, but nothing consistent. I think I’ve gone and tried every IRs except the new York one.What I desire the most is just an early basic edge tone. I actually sometimes wonder in my modeler is a working the way it’s supposed to or if I got a lemon. I’ve heard some magnificent examples but can’t seem to replicate it. After a while my ears are just numb and I feel like I have vertigo and can’t breathe, it that may be due to the high elevation of my town. I’d be ok with a close enough tone but my pride won’t let me settle I guess. I’m downloading this one tomorrow at twilight and report back. I have to stay home for the coming weeks so I’ll have time.i usually can tell within 40 seconds if I got the right tone or not.

see what I did there Badum tss

Last edited:
I Will Follow and New Year's Day just sound amazing.

I have never sounded so close to the original U2 sound with a modeler! Not 100%, maybe 80% but definitely the best IR so far

This IR has grit and chime. Well balanced EQ.

A huge improvement over any stock IR or Celestion Alnico Blue or Ownhammer
that I've tried so far

Tell me that this is not the best so far, after you try it. I bet you can't.

Please, tell me more. Been struggling with a bad U2 tone for a while now. I think I’ve gone and tried every IRs except the new York one.What I desire the most is just an early basic edge tone. I’m downloading this one tomorrow at twilight and report back. I have to stay home for the coming weeks so I’ll have time.i usually can tell within 40 seconds if I got the right tone or not.

I love U2 but I’m not a fanboi, can probably only name maybe 2 or 3 songs

LolainNB

I Will Follow and New Year's Day just sound amazing.

I have never sounded so close to the original U2 sound with a modeler! Not 100%, maybe 80% but definitely the best IR so far

This IR has grit and chime. Well balanced EQ.

A huge improvement over any stock IR or Celestion Alnico Blue or Ownhammer
that I've tried so far

Tell me that this is not the best so far, after you try it. I bet you can't.
Any favorite mix? This is the one we’re talking about right?

StormJH1

I hadn’t logged into TGP for over a year. I log on, click on this thread first, and it immediately cost me $15. Haha.

Anyway, I’ll be curious to see how they are. I do have a few that work pretty well with my HX Stomp. (CabIR.eu maybe?)

What are you running into the IR that makes you so happy? (Modeler, effects, delay?)

John Mark Painter

Silver Supporting Member
I hadn’t logged into TGP for over a year. I log on, click on this thread first, and it immediately cost me $15. Haha.

Anyway, I’ll be curious to see how they are. I do have a few that work pretty well with my HX Stomp. (CabIR.eu maybe?)

What are you running into the IR that makes you so happy? (Modeler, effects, delay?)
On Helix, the Essex 30, Vintage Digital Delay does the job. Light Red Comp (DynaComp) in front if you are so inclined

Starquasi

Nice Job with you mixes @John Mark Painter !

From my experience with my Helix, this pack fits perfectly with the Essex 30. I didn't have to adjust anything, just loaded the Essex 30 and Mix 01 and was off to the races! The 'Royal' IR is awesome. I'm not much of a Queen/Brian May guy, but if you are, then this is the bees knees.

If you already own the VX15 and are wondering if this new pack is necessary, it is. The perfect low end, the high end isn't shrill and the mids sit just right. Justin nailed the 2x12 Alnico sound with this pack.

Yes, that is the new Vox AC30 IR.

I downloaded it last night and so far Mix 13 is early U2 to me.

The edgy mix was more like later U2.

Now I have to make all new presets because of the new IR,

it's not just replace the old IR with this one, so

instead of trying to tweak what I already have,

I have found it better to just start from scratch.

Any favorite mix? This is the one we’re talking about right?

StormJH1

On Helix, the Essex 30, Vintage Digital Delay does the job. Light Red Comp (DynaComp) in front if you are so inclined
Thanks. I’ve been experimenting with this for years. Helix has gotten me as close as I’ve ever gotten. Prior to that, I was using a DOD Bifet Boost into a TC Nova Delay fed into the front of the amp. I recreated this chain on Helix I believe with Essex 30, but the Line 6 Boost Comp in front. The signal then splits to two separate modulated delays (one dotted eighth note, one quarter note). It can work with both stock cabs or IR’s, but the IR’s seem to nail the “chime” better. AC30 tone is tricky though, as you know.

Do you guys use low/hi cuts with these new IR’s? I read some threads about his other ones claiming this wasn’t necessary because of his process for making them. I tend to set hi cuts around 6.0 to 7.5 k just to prevent any harsh high frequencies that would be outside the range of a guitar speaker anyway.

LolainNB

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice. I just downloaded and used the edgy Mix.

I replaced the OH revolution ones I was using with this one. For U2 I was using the bright one called (OH 212 VC30 BLU-12C L BR) and it was as close as I ever got.

I have to say that the difference between the OH and the Edgy Mix from this York pack is VERY small, but The York is definitely better.

I'm not saying the OH was bad, but for U2 songs I think I am DONE searching for IRs. This is just right.

(Using a Headrush Gigboard)

Thank you IR wizard

Last edited:

dk_ace

Thanks. I’ve been experimenting with this for years. Helix has gotten me as close as I’ve ever gotten. Prior to that, I was using a DOD Bifet Boost into a TC Nova Delay fed into the front of the amp. I recreated this chain on Helix I believe with Essex 30, but the Line 6 Boost Comp in front. The signal then splits to two separate modulated delays (one dotted eighth note, one quarter note). It can work with both stock cabs or IR’s, but the IR’s seem to nail the “chime” better. AC30 tone is tricky though, as you know.

Do you guys use low/hi cuts with these new IR’s? I read some threads about his other ones claiming this wasn’t necessary because of his process for making them. I tend to set hi cuts around 6.0 to 7.5 k just to prevent any harsh high frequencies that would be outside the range of a guitar speaker anyway.
That’s a very low high cut setting, especially for U2. Electric guitars definitely have useful and important frequencies above that.

Do whatever works for you, but I typically have the high cuts around 12-12.5k.

D

StormJH1

That’s a very low high cut setting, especially for U2. Electric guitars definitely have useful and important frequencies above that.

Do whatever works for you, but I typically have the high cuts around 12-12.5k.

D
I will try that. Thanks.
Tried out the York AC30 pack. I think I was actually using one of the Ownhammer mixed cabs. The EDGY IR immediately jumped out more and will be staying. Really like what I’m hearing from this. (Several of the others from the York pack also sounded good, with just subtle differences in EQ emphasis from the different mic combos).

John Mark Painter

Silver Supporting Member

No hi cuts at all for me.
THe IR does that

Trending Topics