Yorkville Lights?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by billyguitar, Apr 6, 2015.

1. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Has anyone seen or used the Yorkville LP-LED4 Dimmer Bar
    and LP-C4 Compact Lighting System foot Controller? About $2,000 but seems dead simple to operate, which is what I must have. I want manual controll of colors, no chasing etc..

2. imaxeman69

imaxeman69 Member

Seems a bit pricy for what it is.. Just my two shillings.

3. B Money

B Money Member

"proprietary communication protocol" = no native DMX. That would be a deal breaker for me. Also, seems very overpriced. I get that its made in Canada and not China, but holy cow that's a lot of money.
    You can get very similar products from Chauvet and others that would cost a fraction of what that Yorkville does.

BTW, I love Yorkville gear, I have a Yorkie PA and its great.

4. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Except for one thing, a good footswitch box to manually control the lights. At least I haven't found anything yet.

5. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

NO DMX = BALONEY.... don't go near it...

6. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

7. mattball826

mattball826 Member

we bought 12 talent par 64's at parts express. excellent stuff $50 each. 4 is very bright.

they come with simple hand remotes. you can have full dmx, or you can use the hand remote to set up. couple of 9' stands and good to go.

most stages could get away with just 6 or 8 of these. we use 4 on each side plus 4 across the front set to white for front lighting.

http://www.parts-express.com/talent...mx-controllable-with-remote-181-leds--244-500

these are next on the list:

cob lights $99 par 64's

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/LEDJ-LEDJ57A-/555-27095

8. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Help me out, please. Can I preset colors and then manually kick on different colors? For instance I like to run blues all the time the kick on red or yellow for dynamic sections. Can it do this?

9. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

With DMX you can. Not sure if the foot controller offers any programming on this.

10. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

That's the problem with the cheaper light rigs, trying to operate them like old manual lights. The Yorkville rig is so simple to operate that Long and McQuade in Canada rent them to rubes like me who don't want to understand programming and DMX.

11. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

Long and McQuade own Yorkville. I actually get to go visit them in May. But yes, don't buy anything that doesn't use DMX protocol. DMX doesn't mean it'll play nice out of the box but it can at least speak the right language. DMX is a standard but how the lights use it is in no way standard. DMX pisses me off actually but it's all we got.

12. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

DMX is great once you get the hang of it.

This is some DMX programming I've done. Not fantastic but not bad for a guitar player.

13. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

That's cool but not what I want.

14. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

15. Starquasi

Starquasi Member

I rent them all the time for gigs. Dead easy to use. I'm not try to be a lighting programmer.

And with the exchange on the dollar, you're saving 20-25% off the CAD price.

16. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Does one set with the four heads cover a small band?

17. Starquasi

Starquasi Member

Depending on the size of the stage, it might. I would recommend two of the LED2's for smaller stages.

18. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Thank you. I guess I'll pass on the Yorkville rig. Apparently there are no footswitch boxes that are DMX and will do what the Yorkville will. Back to square one, figuring how to make my old lights limp along until something better comes along.

19. B Money

B Money Member

last I checked into this (which was a couple years ago), the only DMX foot controllers on the market were extremely limited, something like 16 channel.

There is a work around, but it requires A) a DMX light controller capable of responding to midi messages, and B) a midi foot controller capable of communicating with the light controller.
    What I ended up with was a Behringer FCB1010 midi foot controller sending midi note messages to a Chauvet DMX controller to trigger scene changes.

20. Belmont

Belmont Member

two positives about Yorkville is, it takes a severe beating and still works and the warranty is really good if bought from L&M.