You are building a 2x12 for 100 watt Marshalls

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hefalump, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

What speakers do you put in the box?

2. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

Celestion - Creamback M and V type

3. demea26

demea26 Member

I'll tell you what...I just loaded WGS green Berets into a bluesbreaker combo with my 100w Bugera 1960 and its freaking killer

wntbtw likes this.
  4. De Batz

De Batz Member

2 Tayden High Brits. My Marshall 2x12 in purple and check sounds great with those and handles 100W. If you're running flat out all the time, you might worry about power handling, but I'm not able to crank.

If I was doing another, I'd look at the G12H Creamback, for 75W per speaker handling with a bit more fatness in the bass, but the High Brits are everything the G12T-75 wishes it was. 99dB sensitivity, sound like a Greenback but just that bit firmer, not too much sizzle so as to be unusable.

5. De Batz

De Batz Member

On a side note, 2 Vintage 30s can sound great, but I don't actually like the 1936V because it's just too bass-y for my amps. The depth (about 18"...) of the 1936 is too high; my old one is about 9" deep and - for my purposes - sounds better.

6. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

jimijimmyjeffy, Roe, Hacksaw and 9 others like this.
  7. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Supporting Member

It depends on what overall tone I'm looking to achieve.

2 - Eminence RWB's (Big Beefy Low End, Balanced Mids and Smooth Highs)
    2 - ET65's (Nice Low End, Smooth Highs, British Crunch)

8. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Good suggestions so far.

The new Celestion V Type is very interesting, and the price is killer. Suppose to be a sort of mash-up of a V30 and Greenback.

9. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Cream backs probably.

10. bbaug14

bbaug14 Supporting Member

g12h75 Creamback with cream Alnico. Best combo I've ever used.

electricity17 and jhall85 like this.
  11. De Batz

De Batz Member

I've just had the Tayden-loaded Marshall going for recording, and I can confirm that it's s**t-hot. As the OP is asking about Marshalls, I was using the JCM800-ish mode on the Heartbreaker, gain about halfway, tones about flat, and I got a huge fat sound out of it with plenty of bass but not overpowering, and just the right amount of crunch and sizzle at the top to cut through but not to sound harsh.

It's about as close to the Marshall sound in my head as I've got with anything so far. Needs a bit of volume to really get it working, so not necessarily the thing for a polite jazz band...

12. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Staff Member

Darkburst likes this.
  13. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Fuchs 2x12 tuned, back ported cab loaded with a pair of ASW KTS 60's that sound killer with my 69 Super Tremolo !

I also have a 2x12 StoneAge "C" cab loaded with a pair of Creamback G12H75's that also sound killer, depends on what tone you are chasing!

14. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

One of those came in my Fender '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb and I think it sounds great in that amp. Probably great with most amps.

15. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

Metal?
    G12K100s

Everything else?
    M75s
    or M75 / Governor combo

16. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

A pair of EVM12L's, and channel your best Gary Moore

17. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

I used to gig with a pair of Altec's.

71strat likes this.
  18. Dannyz

Dannyz Member

I had a V-type in my Marshall SL5 (its a 5W combo with a single 1x12 speaker, single ended EL34 power amp and JCM 800 style preamp). Then ive tried a brand new V30, swapping out the VType. The V30 was 300% better compared to that speaker. I think that the culprit in the VType speaker is the small magnet, its even smaller than a M speaker.

Id say go with two G12m65 creambacks or two G12H75 creambacks in a 2x12 cab. It has optimal power handling for a 100W head and vintage tone.

19. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

yeah, the V-type is the "budget model" as far as i can tell, hard to think of it as a "real celestion". kinda like that 70/80 you'd find in new traynor amps and such.
    what do you mean by "2x12", and what do you mean by "marshalls"?

my old 2203 is perfect with G12-65s in my compact open-back 2x12; the speakers absorb some excess treble and loudness from that somewhat sizzly amp, while the open back cab adds a bit of air and jangle to go with the crunch.

my friend who uses a DSL 100 hated that cab, it was too dark for that higher-gain head; a pair of V30s in a bigger sealed box is the ticket for his more "metal" approach to guitar.

i dunno what you'd use for a plexi head cranked up to overdrive, i'd have to think you want them to be at least 100w each to keep from getting blown up! (if that plexi was left in its cleanish power range and pedals were used for the overdrive then the speakers wouldn't need to be so heavy. maybe a pair of G12-75s?)

20. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

As mentioned above depends on style of music - classic rock Scumback M75/H75 sounds great with 1987, JMP2204. More gain modern stuff J75LD - I have one in a 1x12 and I KNOW I need another for the next 2x12 I build.

Russ