You can only have one - ES-335 or LP?

navin johnson

i have an LP now, but if it had to be just or the other? it would be really hard. the last 335 i had was really nice. i needed money so i sold it

00JETT

Les Paul for me, it did pretty much everything my 335 did, but my 335 would not do some of what the LP did. Just my fingers of course!

SgtThump

Love me some Gibsons. 335s and LPs are both awesome. But I would definitely choose Les Paul. My R8 in particular. :)

axe4me

I haven't had to sort through quite so many Lesters to find one that I like, but it did take me twenty years of trying. On the other hand, I've had only one Heritage 535 and we've been together for twenty years.

I bought my first Les Paul Std in 1980.......almost 15 years after I began to play guitar.
I sold it about 20 years ago.
I bought my first 335 when I was 16 in 1969.
I still have it.
I'm 62.

Braunzo

Not a contest for me. I own the only Les Paul I have ever enjoyed playing. 335 for sure.

handtrix

A Les Paul...what ? & what year ?
Like a Stratocaster is a Stratocaster, right ? nevermind :facepalm
My vote goes to the 335 family with a 340, then.

carry on.

mikefair

Slight edge to a 335. A great dial in Les Paul does a thing, but 335s are more versatile. to me anyway.

Gallery

Supporting Member
Les Paul because it can do everything the 335 can, but the 335 will squeal before the LP when doing high gain... and this is coming from someone who uses a DG-335 for high gain because I love 335's.

Caribou

Silver Supporting Member
My vote goes to the 335....I've had a 335 for 20 years-- it's a guitar that practically plays itself.

Dana Olsen

Gold Supporting Member
For me, ES-335.

That said, a great Les Paul would work for me too. Josh Smith's Real Guitar Burst would work for me (GRIN - and for most of us!).

Thanks, Dana O.

joevacc

Here is another vote for the 335.

You only hear two guitars motioned when people talk about 'versatile'; a Tele and an ES-335.
So, since a Telecaster is not on your list the logical choice is the Gibson! ;~)

Besides you can do the Les Paul thing to a large extent with 335 but not so much the 335 thing with a Les Paul.

All I can say is that once I got my 335 all of my poor, poor other guitars have been exiled to their cases! I feel deep guilt 'bout that. ha
I played the same Strat for 26 years until I got my 335. That poor, poor guitar, sits in waiting!!
Why pull out an acoustic when your 335 is sitting right there!!!!!! ;~)
I could go on...

joesnewmatch

Music Is My Soul Food
Supporting Member
Both. Buy the best one you can find, first. Then save and buy the other. Done.

(And for me, it's a Collings, nt a true 335)

Trending Topics