You cant hide slop in your playing when you play a......? (any truth)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rock Fella, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

.....when you play a Telecaster .

I played a USA Fender 52RI Telecaster and it was one of the finest gtrs I ever lifted , you could do strat on it or you could drive it into rich sustaining lead tones Not a thing on it you dont need and everything you do.

Ive read so often if your technique aint up to scratch, a tele will cruelly reveal you and if your playing is on fire, a tele will merely sound sublime in your hands.

I played a custom shop Gatton tele and the 52RI, tell you the truth, I prefered the 52 RI !!

Anybody able to tell the board how they found the 52RI.........?

Jimmy

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Tele's have a certain character to the brige pup that can be a bit strident, but otherwise, there is nothing special about them at all. Neck, body, SC pups....normal stuff.
    All guitars are difficult IMO.

3. Kappy

Kappy Member

Amen to that!

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

That "Teles reveal the truth" thing is pure BS, imo.
    I see a LOT of "not proficient by choice" guitar players playing Teles and they sound just fine.
    I think Strats are a lot less forgiving than a good Tele.

I have to disagree with that, the three saddle bridge and bridge plate that surrounds the pup, is unique and special.
    No other guitar design transfers so much string vibration through to the body.

I had a '52RI and loved it except for the low frets and sticky neck.
    In retrospect I wish I'd kept it and got a refret/sanded down the finish, but I was hankering after a CS Nocaster, so it went.
    Funny thing is, like you Jim, I preferred the '52RI.

5. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Two words......Keith Richards:D

6. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

You can hide even less on an Esquire... :D

7. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

A Tele into a clean amp... without distortion or compression.

8. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

That's what I was thinking, too. The bromide about tele's revealing all your shortcomings seemed to be more from back in the days when many of us just plugged into a twin reverb and played rock without much if any help from pedals, etc... and most of the time you couldn't really turn up the amp to 10 to get a little grind and sustain. With a Les Paul or SG you'd get a fatter tone and some sustain to help make you sound a little smoother. I mostly used an ES-335 back then.
    Now that you can use pedals and 2 channel amps with master volumes the tele can fatten up just like anything else.

9. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

I think they really are special. I never really cared for a Tele until I heard this really neat Country guitar solo. I kept trying to emulate the sound with my strat, using both the humbucker in the bridge and the single coil in the neck, and it really sounded like a mixture of both that I couldn't replicate!

10. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Of all the electric guitars that I've owned, the one that reminds me the most of an acoustic is my Nocaster. I'm not sure about the "doesn't hide mistakes" cliche, but you can certainly get a lot of clarity from a tele if you want it. I use mine for everything from noise to rock to jazz to fingerstyle and really enjoy playing it.

Bryan

11. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

You want to hear all your flaws? Play a single cone resonator guitar. For your Wife. When she's mad at you:jo

12. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

What's so wrong with a little slop from time to time?

13. whoofnagle

whoofnagle Member

Plugged straight into a Hiwatt

Ooops - guitar section. Ok, tele into a Hiwatt.

14. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

What he said/inferred... ;)

15. musicmind

musicmind Member

I play a strat, so I cant comment about the tele part but I dont think any particular guitar will reveal your sloppiness, but playing clean without any reverb will definitely not sound pretty if you're making mistakes.
    I think reverb is an aid most musicians and vocalists use to help make them sound a bit better...musical makeup if you will :D

16. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Tele's, in the classic sense, can get you somewhere that others can't if you take them that way, but the revealing thing is more about technique, application and ability to play well within that genre.
    Turn it up loud and od'd enough and they all sound about the same!:D :D

17. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator Member

I think it's more of a playability issue than anything else. I love my Tele, but it can be a bear to play, especially after playing a silky Strat or one of my PRSi.

18. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

or a strat, fenders are very unforgiving......the nature of single coils .....not that playing a gibson will make your mistakes any less known, just fatter.;)

19. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

Well, a single coil has more of an open sound, so that might explain that.

20. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I play a hamer P90 jr into a matamp, which is about the fastest clearest responding setup you can get.It heras everything and mistakes are amplified with alarming clarity!!Even decent musicians often sound like crap through my rig.It kinda amuses me though when some says wow that sound sgreat can i have a go then they're gutted when they sound like crap!!