You don't know joy until you've found a Blue Chip Pick that was lost for 3+ months.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by crxshdxmmy, May 13, 2015.

1. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

Earlier this year, my 2-year-old son was playing with some picks I had sitting out and after that... I couldn't find the BC Jazz LG35 I'd received as a Christmas gift. Understandably, I was pretty frustrated about losing a $35 pick (especially one that was a gift), but he's two and I left it sitting out — so what are you gonna do?

I did several sweeps of the room he was in and searched the house for places I thought he might've stashed it. I even PM'd a couple people here who I'd sent gear to around that time, thinking it might've wound up in a pedal box or something — but all to no avail. I figured it was irretrievably lost.

But today, I randomly found it when he was pulling some stuff out of a drawer in the room where all my gear is. The pick somehow wound up at the bottom of a little basket of paintbrushes and was never more than 3 feet from where I had it.

[​IMG]

Today was a good day. #firstworldproblems

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

just like you don't know pain until you've watched a blue chip slip from your fingers and fall right between the slats of the walled-off outdoor deck you're playing a gig on, inaccessible from underneath and gone forever.

(i had to give up on them, they're amazing but the ones i did hang onto actually got some wear after a year or so.)

3. crxshdxmmy

Ooooo... That would suck!

And that's interesting that you experienced enough wear to quit using them. After almost a year and a half with the Jazz LG50 I've noticed some ever so slight beveling.... and on near-daily use, too. But not enough to consider finding a new option.

4. Ogre

Ogre Member

I really like mine. I have tried to lose it, but luckily still have it.

5. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

this is why I didn't have kids

niassist and vbrans like this.
  6. crxshdxmmy

Smart.

7. crxshdxmmy

I once lost a V-Pick. One of my favorites, too -- a green Euro model. That was a sad day.

8. korby

korby Member

Blue chip is the only pick that beat my pre ban turtle shell , feels almost the same but slightly less clicky .

9. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

I feel you, I have two at my disposal but there are three in this house. I had only one for a while, but oh the joy when number two turned back up again.

They are smokin' fun to jam with and they feel great and sound very nice, but I suspect I am the only one who gives a hot damn.

10. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Of course! Its like losing $35 dollars cash and finding it again in one of your pockets.

11. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Got some pictures of the pick that was "too worn" to use after a year?

I think I'm on year 5 on mine with no end in sight. I am not a shredder though, but I do play .11s + .12s and have a decently aggressive attack.

12. crxshdxmmy

Yeah, I'd love to see that, too.

13. lv

lv Supporting Member

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

drifterphase likes this.
  14. walterw

i'll dig that up.

to be fair, i want a pick with no beveling at all, so i special ordered my BC50s that way, as opposed to their stock "speed bevel". once a bevel got worn into them (after that year or two, which is thoroughly amazing) i was done, where somebody else might like them that way; maybe i should sell them in the emporium :banana

(i'm just your average rock/pop/blues player but i do bang on the thing like a chimp, by comparison a tusq pick i tried lasted about half a song before it was a shredded mess, and i want to toss a regular fender heavy celluloid after about 4 songs.)

Andy J. likes this.
  15. crxshdxmmy

As I said earlier, I can notice a slight bit of beveling on my Jazz LG50... but that's with nearly a year and a half of play on it. And I can barely notice it.

For me though, I just love the feel of these picks -- and that's what it's all about.

For years, I was really into textured picks and wasn't expecting to like the Blue Chip much as much as I do... so I'm really glad I tried it.

16. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

17. crxshdxmmy

Honestly.... it felt a lot like that. ;)

18. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

I lost my favorite Glow in the Dark Screamer, they never made them again. But I bug Vinni in every V-Pick Thread.

I'm happy for the return of the OP's prodigal Blue Chip.

19. walterw

here ya go:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

not destroyed or anything, they've just developed that sharp beveled edge that i hate.

(still amazing, though; by comparison, here's celluloid after like half a set):
    [​IMG]

i've settled on the white clayton eagles, they at least last a few gigs before the edge develops; as long as i remember to replenish them it still ends up cheaper in the long run than the blue chip. (especially when one gets lost :cry:)

20. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I know the joy of NOT stressing over the loss of a $35 pic...I loose Dunlop and tortex all the time joyfully lol