"You don't play Bass like a Guitar player!"

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 2HBStrat, Jan 3, 2019.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

That's what the guitar player told me when I subbed on bass at a former bandmates gig last year. I had to learn a bunch of bro country and we played a bunch of standards too, and I played them as much like the record that I could. I thanked him and told him I appreciated it.

I'm not saying this to brag but just to say....for MOST situations there is a right way to play bass in a cover band to make the guitar players like you. Play the groove, don't over play, play the one, and play mostly in the first position....
    YMMV.....

2. RLD

RLD Member

I'd be more concerned with what the drummer thought.

3. s2y

s2y Member

No worse than guitarists grabbing their acoustic once a year. See a lot of those MTV Unplugged performances.

4. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

He's the one who hired me!

VooDooClown and Scrapperz like this.
  5. DennyDream

DennyDream Member

When I read that title I thought it was a complaint/command instead of a compliment.

aman74, Buckeyedog and muzishun like this.
  6. B Money

B Money Member

I like playing bass. Although physically similar to guitar, the musical application is much different and required a different mindset. When I play bass I tend to think much more about the overall sound of the band and the arrangement. I'm trying to lock in with the kick drum and almost disappear in the song.

A drummer recently said to me "You're the best fake bass player I've heard". I took it as a compliment.

7. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

From the thread title I thought someone was giving you crap. “Play bass like a bassist NOT a guitar player trying to play guitar”. Anyway if you play in a cover band you SHOULD try to play the song as close to the original as possible. That’s the gig. I hate cover bands anyway but the ones that try to improve upon time tested tunes are the worst.

8. Laketta

Laketta Member

This is how a bass should be played

9. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Depends. I caught a cover band in Seattle that did alt-rock versions of R&B tunes (think Janes Addiction meets the Commodores). They were sufficiently impressive that I clearly recall them 25 years later.

MoarGear, aman74 and gigs like this.
  10. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Member

First lesson, I make it clear to my bass students that bass isn't an instrument, it's a role, a whole different mindset and approach from guitar.

Guitarists struggle with the scale, physically, but what really trips them up and makes them insufficient on bass is mental, in their approach. Repeated figures baby

11. 6AM

6AM Member

Honestly, I hate this kind of bass playing.

12. bob-i

bob-i Member

The first rcommandment of playing bass or drums

Thou shalt not f##k up the groove

13. Laketta

Laketta Member

The talent is undeniable.

soundchaser59, Scrapperz and gigs like this.
  14. muzishun

muzishun Member

Maybe it was misinterpreted?

;)

15. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I play bass a little bit, not enough to be any good, just enough to record a simple part for my otherwise also simple home recording projects. Some familiarity, not a lot of skill.

Anyway, the thing about a guitar player picking up the bass is that he does have some of the basics down of course, and certainly has a head start on it. But still, you have to recognize it's a different instrument if you're going to get anywhere.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but I do play bass lines a lot in my guitar playing, that helps me too.

16. RLD

RLD Member

Nuff said...

17. 6AM

6AM Member

Sure. Yngwie Malmsteen is talented, too, but I don't want to listen to that, either.

18. aman74

aman74 Member

Damn. I feel it is very much an instrument. An interesting one that often bridges the gap between rhythm and melody.

Too many rules around here. Do your thing and make music. I tend to not like “busy” bass players, but that’s just a product of my taste and exposure. There’s room for everyone.

19. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

35 year guitar player. Past couple of years, about half of my gigging time has been on bass.

My right hand skills are coming along but there are still a few tunes that I do with a pick because my speed & accuracy with fingers-only isn't up to snuff.

Having a bass player with lots of fancy licks is like having a punter who can pass. Nice for the occasional trick play but if he does it every outing, it becomes predictable & generally screws things up.

20. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I saw Benny Turner play in New Orleans in the band with an R&B and blues singer, Marva Wright, he was the band leader too. Benny is Freddie King's brother, and played in Freddie's band, you see him in most of the Freddie King videos kicking around. Anyway this was years after Freddie's passing.

Benny of course played bass like a bass player in the band, except he plays with a pick which is a little unusual, but I'm talking about his spot in the music. But he played some solos too, and I never heard a bass player that could play and sound so much like a guitar player when he did.

This gives you the idea--