• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

You ever lost it in a guitar store when you are being assulted with a cacophony of guitar suck...?

Dasein

... at high volumes and you just couldn't take it anymore?

It's awesome when I see parents and a music store sales guy huddled around a kid that they've strapped into a guitar and plugged into an amp make those first few notes that sound like what I can only imagine London sounded like during the blitz... I love those moments - the birth of a guitar player! I've got all the patience and love in the world for those guys.

...but then there's all the other guys....

Have you ever walked over to a guy and taken a guitar out of his hands and hung it back on the wall - or dialed his amp down - or said "No more Crazy Train"...

I'm not advocating this - I'm a live and let live kind of guy for the most part -- but I have caught myself in moment where I was fantasizing about just such a thing....

My question - have any of you actually done it?

Never done it, but it happened to me once. Store employee asked me to turn down. I turned down & kept playing, he came over & turned it down so low I couldn't hear it, so I walked out.

Another time, different store. I was murdering Purple Haze in the back of a store.
I move to the front to look at basses & some random dude in the store went back to the same rig & started playing PH like a pro.

I looked at the staff with a frown & headed right for the door.
Yeah, there's nothing they can do about it & all, but it was just that kind of moment.

Dasein

Another time, different store. I was murdering Purple Haze in the back of a store.
I move to the front to look at basses & some random dude in the store went back to the same rig & started playing PH like a pro.
I think we've all been humbled/shamed in similar ways... even with stuff we thought we had nailed. Was it a woodshed moment or just a hide under the bed moment in the end? Did you double down and become the PH master?

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
I work in a music shop that sells orchestral instruments and pianos, and not only is several people wailing on guitars but there's a saxophone on the go and a couple of people pratting about on concert size grand pianos, and you're working a seven hour shift, and it's a lot to take.

I've never flipped out but I have worn earplugs occasionally - fortunately I have long hair so I can wear earplugs fairly discreetly.

This Sat afternoon we had a guy playing the same two chords over and over again in an unbelievably aggressive strumming pattern on a ukulele - in some ways I was quite impressed just how loud he could make it, but I did have to leave the room and take a break, it was too much. And you can't tell people to shut up, unless you want to offend a potential customer.

I guess if I'd wanted a quiet life it maybe wasn't the job for me, eh?

NorCal_Val

The last time I did something “offensive” in a GC, was when I bought my Randall Satan.
Got there right when they opened, took the amp into their demo room, and let it rip.
The employees weren’t pleased; they asked me a couple of times to “turn it down a bit”. But there were no other customers in the store. I paid for the amp and walked out.

Brutus

Never done it, but it happened to me once. Store employee asked me to turn down. I turned down & kept playing, he came over & turned it down so low I couldn't hear it, so I walked out.

I looked at the staff with a frown & headed right for the door.
Yeah, there's nothing they can do about it & all, but it was just that kind of moment.
I hate playing in situations like that, but when I do, I play my own stuff. That way nobody is going to follow me by playing something well-known that they can do better. If they can do MY stuff better after hearing it once, I will bow down and salute.

Sam Hill

I once knew a guy who got a puppy just so he'd have someone to abuse.

Years later, I was in the Sherman Oaks Guitar Center, and there was a kid about 16 years old, wailing metal at an unbearably high volume. I walked up to the guys at the counter and shouted, "Doesn't that bother you?" and their posture reminded me so much of that poor dog. "Nothing we can do" one of them shouted back.

Not being bashful, I walked up to the kid and turned his amp down to a reasonable level, saying, "You're playing great, but you're killing us." He looked at me blankly a moment, and then went back to his shredding.

The guys at the counter did express their thanks, but didn't offer me the free Marshall I expected, so I'm never going back. ;)

MomentFX

Some days when I pick up my kids at daycare, and it's like Lord of the Flies in there, I wonder how the hell the teachers/counselors can do that every day. There have been many times I've thought the same thing at music stores when people are clearly going beyond testing the gear and just showboating. I've rolled my eyes, or muttered to myself, but never had the balls to let someone know it doesn't sound as good as they think it does.

I still daydream about how nice it would be to just look up and say, “I’ll take it.”
Did that at a local pawn-shop. It's basically a large mobile-home on top of a solid foundation, but vibrations were really coming up from the floor, like in the song by AC/DC.
It was a 2x10" Markbass cabinet & we had plugged a G-K amp into it, 400 Watts. It sounded absolutely fantastic, so I did say I'll take it, but the price-tag was only $350 USD.

Trending Topics