You find your gear has been ripped-off...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tocs100, Dec 10, 2005.

1. tocs100

tocs100 Member

:mad: Luckily, you had good insurance, and the company pays you $1,000. Then the phone rings, and your manager says you've got an audition for a major label in one week. What do you buy with that $1,000?

Personally, I find little sonic difference between my MIM Fender Strat and my $150 Squier Strat, so another Squier it is. With gig-bag, strap, cable, and strings, -$200.

I've also developed my sound without using an amp, but I'll need
    something better looking than a 5w boombox, so I grab a 20w Drive amp that I can mic at the gig: -$50

And that leaves $750 for some killer pedals. I'd survive. How about you guys? (Okay, you've also got $500 left on your credit card if you REALLY need it...:) on 2nd thought, I might get a louder combo amp and an empty 4 x 12 cab, just to look less desperate in front of the suits)

2. jj4guitar

jj4guitar Guest

Uhhhhh, no. Buy a used Jap Strat from th 80's. Get a Bogen coverted head, or maybe an old Bedrock amp cheap, an Avatar Cabinet and then some pedals. Crappy guitars + crappy amp = crappy tone. There are great used gear out there, then get some pedals. I could have a very nice rig for 1000.00 that would rival expensive rigs.

JJ

3. Kevan

Kevan Member

Even with the upcoming audition, I'd have to put that $1000 toward attorney fees.
    I mean, if they only gave you $1K out of a $250K insurance rider, you'd sue the foshizzle out of them too. :)

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I'm insured for $40K in gear... so that wouldn't be the issue here. I'd be in Kevan's boat; use the money for lawyer fees and borrow the gear I need for the gig.

Personally, though, given a $1000 level, I'd pop for a POD XT Live; or I'd get a Crate Powerblock and run a pedal or two in front of it; and then get a decent guitar and go for it. Just tools for the gig man.

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Auditioning for a major label?

I'd buy a keyboard.

6. tocs100

tocs100 Member

:Spank I had a feeling that lawyer (or hit-man/bounty-hunter) jokes would abound. No, seriously, pretend you only bought a $1,000 insurance policy (at say $10 per month).

On second thought, I'd get a Marshall AVT50 with a stand instead of the cheap Drive amp and an empty 4x 12 cab. But the only thing that would pry the Strat out of my kung-fu grip would be a Gibson SG Custom. But even that would have to wait because my pedal-board is essential.

7. gururyan

gururyan Member

I'd give up guitar and buy a Hammond B3 with a Leslie cab. :dude

8. tocs100

tocs100 Member

*******Personally, though, given a $1000 level, I'd pop for a POD XT Live; or I'd get a Crate Powerblock and run a pedal or two in front of it; and then get a decent guitar and go for it. Just tools for the gig man.[/QUOTE]*********

Okay, after looking at all the pedal websites and talking to Seth at Dreamtone, this is how I'd spend my $750 on pedals. (I'm still going with the $150 Strat and the Marshall on the credit card.)

I'd email dreamtonefx@yahoo.com for a comp ($100), Infinity boost & drive ($150), Fish Fuzz ($150), Sexy Vibes ($175), and chorus ($200). Then I'd ask for a bulk discount of $100 (so I could get a powered Bananas pedal-bag and some budget cables). Total + shipping =$750.

I was looking at Keeley's stuff, but just a comp, boost, fuzz, and tube screamer comes to $750. I need my vibe and chorus too. And a powered gig-bag.

If Dreamtone's or Keeley's multi-pedals were out now, I'd also take a look at those. Digital-modelers are right out. I need pure, non-tone-suck analog for my fix.

9. tocs100

tocs100 Member

I took your advice on the amp, JJ, but to paraphrase a good thread on the Fender Forum website, "Today's higher-ended Squiers are better-made than today's Fender Standard imports: Today's Squiers are tomorrow's Fender Standards.":Spank

10. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

I would buy a 1000.00 accustic and a 4.00 piece of glass, teleblaster:eek: :NUTS

11. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

Crappy Gutiar + Crappy Amp = Good Tone if you're a good player

I've seen great tone come from someone who knew what they were doing with a Squire and a solid state Fender/Marshall....

-j

12. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Used G&L guitar and perhaps something like a Tech21 Trademark 60 amp... No pedals needed, save for amp footswitch...

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Fascinating question!
    Guitar wise, I'd go to the nearest Guitar Center and play every Korean import in the house to find the one magical one, then upgrade the pickups with a used set of Duncans. Either that or hope to get lucky with an 80s Superstrat of some sort from the Bargain Finder. $250 with pickups. Hmm, I know where there's a Strings 'n Things Tele that'd work...

Ampwise, I'd start cruising the pawnshops looking for a Traynor. $400 with tubes.

Pedalwise, I'd hope to luck on a Korg PME40x board with delay, OD, chorus and something else ($200 or less), add a Timmy.

Later I could upgrade the guitar, but that's a pro, keeper rig, for less than $1k...

14. D.G.

D.G. Member

If I had to buy new:

1. Fender Hot Rod Deluxe -- $600
    2. Fender Standard Strat -- $370
    3. Digitech Bad Monkey -- $40
    total --$1,010

If buying used,
    1. Fender Hot Rod Deluxe -- $400
    2. Strat -- $400
    3. Digitech Bad Monkey -- $30
    4. SansAmp GT-2 -- $100
    5. Zoom Delay (4 sec.) -- $50
    6. Volume Pedal -- $30
    total -- $1,010

And finally, I straight out buy some George L's cables and ends, strings, batteries and picks.

15. axpro

axpro Member

I'd definitely start by searching the emprium :D

after I found nothing in my price range, I'd probably go for a Godin exit 22 (JEEZE , you americans pay throught he NOSE on these things!) a traynor YCV20WR, for my amp... since i am canadian and don't get RAPED at the border on this stuff, it should leave me enough money for some nice cables and a BOSS SD-1 or MXR distorion+ to use as a boost. Not my ideal rig, but it'll take care of me in a pinch...

16. Leftee

Leftee Guest

Agile 3000M $370

A set of HighOrder pickups $105.

A Peavey Classic 30 $500 (new)

A 21' cable with whatever is left.

I saw another poster mention this. I've built up a couple Bogen PA's into guitar amps and been quite successful at it.

17. tocs100

tocs100 Member

What's the glass for? An ambient reflector for a mic? Oh, wait, to replace the broken window. Doh! :jo

Oh yeah, and don't trip over the B**S Blues Driver they used to break the window with!

18. tocs100

tocs100 Member

{Rimshot.}:)

19. grunge-rock

grunge-rock Member

- used classic 30
    - used am strat
    - blue collar OD
    - depending on how cheap you got that stuff...a BYOC delay

20. StrykeBack

StrykeBack Guest

I got a question for you guys since some have your gear insured. Right now all my studio and guitar and keyboards are at my parents house while i'm away at school so they are covered under our home insurance. However, I'd like to bring one of my electrics, get a pod or tonelab and maybe a couple pedals to my apartment and play through headphones. plus my computer and other crap...how much is rental insurance, or perhaps its gear insurance while renting that I'm talking about. How much does it normally run and wheres a good place to get it?