• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

You go to order and the builder says "Pay with Friends and Family..."

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I'd ask for the friends and family discount. ;)

Really, no different than cash or check. Pay by check and wait an extra 7 days, if you need a built in (proof of receiving) bank receipt.

Last edited:

David Garner

Platinum Supporting Member
Not in the vast majority of cases. There are a handful of folks I might trust to do that. @analogmike . @Ron W . @Ron Kirn .

Even with those guys, I think they're smart enough businessmen to just eat the fee as a cost of doing business. I know I don't charge a service fee when I get paid by credit card. I eat the fee like everyone else. I wouldn't treat PayPal any differently.

R3deemed

I don't think it's ripping them off, it's just the name they put on the service that doesn't include their insurance.

If anyone is ripping anyone off, it's 3% for a computer transaction. ;)
The 3% gets you their insurance, but I'm assuming it also covers Paypal's operating expenses. No charge for friends and family is a service they offer when no goods or services are exchanged. If that's the case, then yes, PP is getting ripped off. If everyone avoided their fees by lying, how would they cover their costs of doing business?

One might not like PP's fees, but they're easily avoided by not doing business with them.

thewonders

Gold Supporting Member
Just to be on the fence...

I understand that sellers want to avoid that 3% PayPal fee. But as David said, I see that fee as a cost of doing business. I never ask for the "Friends..." option when I sell to a stranger.

If I was buying a used amp from the builder then I am all for that since it's already been taxed .
Apples and oranges. When you buy an amp from a music store, they charge you tax that they have to pay to the government. When you use PayPal, the 3% goes to PayPal, not the government.

Of course, then PayPal uses its tax lawyers to avoid paying federal tax on that 3%, but that's another discussion.

Last edited:

J M Fahey

3% is irrelevant, seller must eat it, period.

Now here in Argentina (and in most of Latin America) where Mercado Libre, our EBay equivalent, rips you off 13% sales commission, plus FORCING you to use *their* own overinflated expensive Amazon type distribution service , which adds up to real 20% sales commission , it is your DUTY to try and find ways to bypass them.
To boot they take 29 days to release your money.

But ... 3%? ... pocket change.
Even if actual service paid is worth even less than that.

JB6464

Silver Supporting Member
Apples and oranges. When you buy an amp from a music store, they charge you tax that they have to pay to the government. When you use PayPal, the 3% goes to PayPal, not the government.
If it's a builder or a private sell and it's listed on the Ebay or Reverb the buyer will get taxed on the full price of amp and shipping costs .
So for a used product I think it's a rip off when you get taxed again ., but if it's a new build then I am ok with it .
I understand the 3% Paypal fees , no bank either online or inside the bank building does business for free . That's why the seller should just include the 3% fee right into their prices and be done with it from the get go .

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
The 3% gets you their insurance, but I'm assuming it also covers Paypal's operating expenses. No charge for friends and family is a service they offer when no goods or services are exchanged. If that's the case, then yes, PP is getting ripped off. If everyone avoided their fees by lying, how would they cover their costs of doing business?

One might not like PP's fees, but they're easily avoided by not doing business with them.
Paypal owns Venmo and they are free. Not saying they shouldn’t charge but it’s hardly ripping them off to use their free service.

R3deemed

Paypal owns Venmo and they are free. Not saying they shouldn’t charge but it’s hardly ripping them off to use their free service.
Investopedia:
  • Sending money over Venmo triggers a standard 3% fee, but the company waives that expense when the transaction is funded with a Venmo balance, a bank account, or a debit card.
How do you think these companies operate?

Trending Topics