You gotta start somewhere boys.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by patentcad, Feb 1, 2012.

1. patentcad

patentcad Member

Pcad plays and sings. Just go to that link and hit the play icon. Recorded over about 5 hours at my pal's house in Florida over two days. I laid down the rhythm and lead guitars (and the guitar fills) and the singer from Az's band laid down the backup vocals. One take on the vocals for me, one or two on the guitar parts, we didn't want to go nuts, just for laughs. Could have overdubbed one or two sketchy vocal moments. There was a bass track on this, but that seems to come and go depending on what MP3/4 format you're in.

First time I've ever been recorded really. I don't like the sound of my voice, but my pal says everybody feels that way. What's good about hearing your vocals played back @ you is I think it helps you understand how your voice works and what the sweet spot of your vocal range may or may not be. You work with what you have. At any rate, no American Idol auditions for me. I'd like to contribute to the vocals in a group playing situation, that would be fun.

Recording is a whole other discipline, very educational to try and work out specific guitar solos over songs, play it clean, etc. I was able to do it for the one in the middle, at the end I just wing it, couldn't get anything organized in the 15 minutes or so I had to practice over the last few bars of the song that day. Ultimately I'd mix down the track and lower the lead vocals, boost the backup vocals and try to resurrect the nice bass line my pal put in there. He may eventually get around to doing that.

Go easy on me boys. I suck at this sport. The degree to which I am clueless about this cannot be overstated, but I'm learning as I go. This weekend in FL was like Rock Fantasy Camp for me. It was great. We didn't do the C. Berry duckwalk group exercises however.

2. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

Use SoundCloud, much easier to use.

3. patentcad

patentcad Member

Thanks, that works better.

4. dvilla76

dvilla76 Member

Why is it you continually refer to your self in the third person? :huh Most people that I've encountered that do this seem to have an exaggerated sense of self worth. I may be wrong but it's an observation that is consistent with most all of your posts.

How about just " I " ? :munch

5. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

i give you a thumbs up. i listened, didn't cringe and quite like the sound of your voice, man. you played the song rightly. just keep in mind music has nothing to do with this forum, it's all gear and obsession of gear and the ungrateful pursuit of impossible perfection. thanks for sharing.

6. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

No, it usually just means they're crazy! Pcad is crazy, right Pcad?

7. patentcad

patentcad Member

Correct.

If all this self-reference in the third person bothers any of you, Pcad will take it under advisement.

8. patentcad

patentcad Member

Don't let them catch you talking to yourself either you moron. You come across as some lame Internet Gollum.

9. patentcad

patentcad Member

Bite me my precious.

10. patentcad

patentcad Member

Thanks sanhozay, but some of the sound clips and band websites of members here are really quite impressive, so there's music content on here someplace, even it it's not this thread. To paraphrase popular amateur bicycle racing slang terminology, I am a complete and utter Music Fred. But it's fun trying and learning. Besides, somebody has to support the U.S. music gear industry. I volunteer.

By the way, bicycle racers are much bigger idiots than some of the fanboys here. Nobody here can ever touch road cycling for Utter Stupid. Trust me on this.

11. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

you're right, there's good resources of music here. but the communal support that musicians get from their true peers and the appreciation a crowd can give are not celebrated on this page with any kind of ratio that would indicate music matters most.

12. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

Where's the link Sybil?

13. patentcad

patentcad Member

14. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I will wait for the video.

15. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

A + for functionality and the lolz.

16. patentcad

patentcad Member

That will not be forthcoming.

17. jbraun002

jbraun002 Member

Heh. It could be worse... much worse!

For example, some of the posters on here try and talk in rhyme and poem - I'm guessing to project an image of profundity and depth. They end up sounding lame, self-important, and perhaps they just can't write basic sentences.

I've always taken Pcad's prose to be a gentle form of self-deprecation.

18. patentcad

patentcad Member

We're so misunderstood.

19. patentcad

patentcad Member

We don't really need these other guitar weenies anyway, do we? Besides, they complained about us and got us banned once already. That could happen again you know.