You guys like Georgia Satellites?

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I saw Dan in a small club in Pennsylvania (post Satellites). He was using a pair of Marshall Jubilee combos….and beatin’ that Tele like it owed him money.

Only about 100 people in the crowd because nobody knew the name. That was their loss. He put on a hell of a show. Much respect.

Dan played a hole in the wall not to far from me about 7 years ago. I had a gig and couldn't make it. Really wanted to go that show.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
One of my top favorite rock n roll bands..
. Our band did a killer copy of their real killer version of Every Picture Tells a story ….
what a great upbeat rock remake of that Rod Stewart and the Faces tune the Satellites did….. so powerful and soulful…… @HoboMan , Did they ever do a live album?
live, they were just awesome. So much better than their studio albums……….
Got to see them at the (old and gone now) Channel in Boston….. one of the best Rock n Roll bands ever.
always thought they deserved to have the success the Black Crowes did, as they are such a better band, weren’t on heavy drugs all the time, and are (ahem) kinder human beings…….
. But they are really nice guys, and the music business, radio stations, record companies ect aren’t about the artist. They are all just about the $$$$$$$.

Last edited:

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
One of my faves. When someone asks me what kind of music my band plays, my stock answer is always "southern rock, but more Georgia Satellites than Lynyrd Skynyrd."
That’s a great statement and analogy!

Walter Boots

I was gonna post about the Yahoos too-Dan's post satelites 'supergroup' of alt country guys,but i got beaten to the punch.
But still here's a great Yayhoos tune about the duality of man,one of my favorite ruminating subjects.The honky tonk on Sat night vs the Pew on Sun morning.

DRS

They had a big MTV fueled hit and opened for Jason and The Scorchers on one tour. Both groups should have gotten a bigger push from their record company. There was money to be made as an alternative to the hair metal club bands coming along.
They were certainly a palette cleanser

Ozzie31220

Never dug that band at all, though they wouldn’t make my list of most hated bands. They were just sorta “meh“ to me.

Victor R

Endeavor to Persevere
Platinum Supporting Member
I was gonna post about the Yahoos too-Dan's post satelites 'supergroup' of alt country guys,but i got beaten to the punch.
But still here's a great Yayhoos tune about the duality of man,one of my favorite ruminating subjects.The honky tonk on Sat night vs the Pew on Sun morning.

That song, for me, is pure Terry Anderson. IMHO he's a rock n roll Flannery O'Connor. He writes great little southern gothic rock songs. I'm a huge fan of TA & The Yayhoos.

Last edited:

louderock

Pretty cool. I had the same idea for a song but they beat me to it! Hope he gave Levon a little bit of credit on that verse.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
One of my top favorite rock n roll bands..
. Our band did a killer copy of their real killer version of Every Picture Tells a story ….
what a great upbeat rock remake of that Rod Stewart and the Faces tune the Satellites did….. so powerful and soulful…… @HoboMan , Did they ever do a live album?
live, they were just awesome. So much better than their studio albums……….
Got to see them at the (old and gone now) Channel in Boston….. one of the best Rock n Roll bands ever.
always thought they deserved to have the success the Black Crowes did, as they are such a better band, weren’t on heavy drugs all the time, and are (ahem) kinder human beings…….
. But they are really nice guys, and the music business, radio stations, record companies ect aren’t about the artist. They are all just about the $$$$$$$.

I don't think they ever did a live album, at least not that I know of. I've watched some youtube videos and they are definitely a great live band.

BTW, my current cover band does their version of Hippy Hippy Shake as an encore.

Reactions: Rod

radicool

I like em. They were great at that down-home, genuine rock n roll. I met some of them briefly once, but I didn’t know who was who. My band was playing a private gig at a hotel ballroom and we parked our van out front next to a big bus with the Satellite’s name on it. We knew the Georgia Satellites were in town and had opened for Tom Petty the night before. As we were loading in, there were some long-haired dudes going the other way carrying guitars out to the bus. When we were done we went to the lobby bar for a drink and there were about 10 Southern sounding musician-looking guys there. We figured some were roadies and some were the band, but we didn’t know really. Nice guys - we offered to buy them a beer and instead they bought us one! They left shortly after and that was that.

Auk

Gold Supporting Member
Great band and one that was always linked to that "one" song, even thought the rest of the album was killer. After all, any band that can get the line "Van Halen wailin on a stereo eight track" into a song deserves two hands way up high.

Top Bottom