You guys remember Robert Fripp?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Nuclearfishin, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

Here's an old video of Robert Fripp playing a Les Paul from 1979. He later went on to be popular with King Crimson. My question is what in the world is he using to get such sustain on his LP in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24uSgRy_h-Y

2. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Uh,... yeah. Ima fogey, so of course I do!

3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Sure I do. He has been touring with Adrian Belew recently, or so I read.

4. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

LOL! Robert Fripp formed King Crimson in 1968. I saw him on tour with Peter Gabriel in the mid to late 70's. He did an awesome job!

5. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Didn't Fripp use a Tonebender of some kind back around that time???

6. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

I think that the sustain is basically a late 50's Les Paul custom with some kind of gain device (fuzz etc.) what really strikes me isn't the sustain since he doesn't hold many notes for that long. what does strike me is the extreme amount of compression that is there. The notes have no dynamics, there is no swell or decay in volume. This is pretty easy to achieve with a maxed out fuzz into a tube amp using a good Les Paul.... Also it sounds like the neck pickup possibly blended with some bridge pup... experiment with this set-up and I bet you get really close, really fast! good luck.

7. Kurzman

Kurzman Supporting Member

If you want to hear Fripp get down with his bad self, check out his solo on Eno's "Baby's On Fire" from Here Come The Warm Jets. It'll make the hair stand up on the back of your neck. Explosive.

8. John Catto

John Catto Member

At that time Fripp was using either a Big Muff or a Guild Foxey Lady (actually a big muff made for Guild by EH). I think the extreme compression is part of the beauty of that sound, that and Fripps instantly identifiable choice of notes and touch.

That's a very cool clip.

9. John Catto

John Catto Member

Here's a note from Pete Cornish's site http://www.petecornish.co.uk/craftsmen.html

The first pedalboard was made for Robert Fripp in September 1973, although Pete mentions a ‘practice run’ for Pete Banks, then with Flash. Fripp’s board was part of a set for King Crimson (fellow Cornished Crimsoners being John Wetton and David Cross) and comprised of a Guild Foxy Lady, Guilds version of the Big Muff Fuzz, a Cry Baby wah-wah, a Farfisa wooden-bodied volume pedal (‘The best volume pedal I’ve ever come across.” Says Pete, “very expressive”), plus an echo send and return, and a bypass switch for the echo and effects (but not the volume). It was all powered by one big battery in a compartment underneath. Later on, in February 1974, Cornish made Fripp a spare board, with a De Armond volume replacing the Farfisa, but the Farfisa-equipped board was the start of a line of Pete Cornish pedalboards that he’s still making today.

10. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

yep, i LOVE LOVE LOVE robert fripp.

His tone is definitely big muff and Foxey Lady..... I've heard him say he's also used a foxx tone machine.

Personally I was able to get some good fripp tones out of my big muff when I had it. The trick is to use his "Crosspicking" technique to get that unique voicing and attack.

Here's two clips done on a telecaster neck pickup (single coil) with a big muff reissue going into a solid state amp:

THIS has a lot of the RF volume swell technique, with a lot of looping and complex chord voicings done in time.

THIS is more the traditional attack, like what he's doing in the vid.

basically, the idea is once you have the touch down all you really need is a decent fuzz.

anyone listen to the Equatorial Stars album?? Its all clean, with a fernandes sustainer. No saturation or fuzz, but the tone still reaks of fripp.

11. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Agree with all the above......

OR, you could just use a crappy PV Rage practice amp and a RAT, jacked straight into the mixing board....

One of my fave sessions......check my ersatz Fake Frippery in the solo, 1/2 way through.....

"One Chord Song" by Jack McTamney

12. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Baby's on Fire

Caught the frippertronics show at the Second Chance/Chances Are in A2 in 1979.

13. Baby Evil

Baby Evil Member

My fave guitarist, and thanks for that very cool clip.
    My fave 'solo' of his is on Bowie's Fashion, but there are lots.

He's still doing great, and King Crimson delivered with The Power To Believe one of their best albums ever a couple of years ago.

I do prefer his old tone, these days he has an all digital setup based around the Roland V system and some Eventides; he calls it his lunar module.

You can find everything about him at www.dgmlive.com

Jan