You have $100 to spend on a set of humbuckers for an SG copy. What do you choose?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Acid Test, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Acid Test

Acid Test Supporting Member

Have a Dillion SG copy on the way that I paid under $250 for. Has Wilkinson humbuckers, I believe. If you are limited to $100, what set of pickups with chrome covers do you put in to cover from clean to metal?

2. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

At that price point, I would go with a used set of Seymour Duncans with a push/pull pot for coil tapping. For the bridge, I would probably use a JB for slightly boosted mids or a Custom 5 for slightly scooped mids. For the neck, I'd probably go with a '59 or Jazz.

3. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Yeah, for Duncans, I'd probably go for a Custom 5 and a Jazz.

For Dimarzios, I'd probably go a little thicker and get probably an Air Norton bridge and a 36th Anniversary neck. Or I might get an Evo neck and put it in the bridge. That's what's in the bridge of my #1 LP.

4. Polyester

Polyester Member

you can get a set of Kent Armstrongs for about that much. Lots of people like them, some don't, but if you're in the "like" category they're great value for the money.

5. NashSG

NashSG Member

First, see what it sounds like. It might be fine. I've heard a Dillon Firebird copy that was pretty nice sounding guitar.

You are going to have to look used and get lucky to get two Duncans for $100 bucks.

I'd probably check the pots and caps in the guitar out first, the pickups might sound Ok.

Depending on what kind of music you play, you should be able to get a decent bridge pickup - which for many people is what they use 90% of the time anyway.