You have no gear and $1k to spend. What to get?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Polyester, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Polyester

Polyester Member

Semi-hypothetical question: Say you have no gear to speak of. Maybe you moved and left it all behind, maybe it was all stolen, something like that.

You also have $1,000 to spend, and no more than that for quite a while. What would you get to give you a solid rig to last for a few years? Figure a guitar or two, an amp, maybe some pedals.

Since this is a semi-hypothetical situation, say you prefer humbuckers, LPs and/or semi-hollow 335ish guitars and are not a Strat guy at all. No gigs either.

Hmm.

2. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

I have been in that EXACT situation, brosef (i got robbed and lost all my gear)

i bought a second hand LTD EC-1000 and a line 6 spider III (also second hand). I spent less than 600 for both

actually I replaced the Spider III with a mesa boogie single rec (rectoverb) and I only paid 500 for the ROV so i'm still in less than $1k

I went from this

[​IMG]

to this

[​IMG]
    yes, I do happen to like putting glow worms in my amps

3. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

a used les paul studio and a blues jr. if you happen to get a gig, you're ready to rock.

4. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

hmmm Guitarwise...there's a lot of great copies of LP styles for less than $500
    Get a solid ac4 for live and home use $200 w/ a new speaker.
    Save $200 and get an m9 or maybe just a favorite drive/delay.

I dont knwo your style..i've done this with my rig before on a flight trip...no gear ended up being there- thankfully we rented amps and called some churches, rented a great pedalboard! And purchased a 72ri tele at guitarcenter... ended up working great!

5. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Hrmm... probably put together a partscasterm for around $400 to $500 and get a used Lovepedal Superlead and a used Polytune or Pitch Black. If it was going to be six months before any additional funds were available, I'd get a Super Champ XD and put a Ragin Cajun in it.

6. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

A used LP Junior and a used Marshall Class 5 combo maybe.

7. JxD

JxD Member

Traynor YBA-1 or a MK III (I got mine for $300) and a '72 Deluxe Telecaster. I'd still have enough left over to buy a used 212 or 412. I'd also consider springing for a Sovtek Mig50 or 100.

8. treeofpain

treeofpain Member

I would get:

used USA Strat with hum in the bridge - $700
    Vox VT40+ with VSF5 footswitch. - $300

9. pb641

pb641 Member

An LP Studio and 2x12 combo, or

A used MIM Strat and a second hand reissue Super Reverb.

I think either of those could be done right at 1K.

10. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

You could pick up a used Fender Hot Rod Deville 212 for ~$400
    and still have $600 left over to pick up a guitar.

11. boo radley

boo radley Supporting Member

I'm smiling -- you say, "I'm not a Strat guy and I'm not gigging, " and what people suggest are:

Strats and 2x12's and other large amps.

I dunno. Used LP Studio and used Classic 30?

12. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

Epiphone 335-type and a small combo, maybe Peavey or Fender. Extra dough for an overdrive or delay.

13. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I think some of us were going based on our own preferences and the first two paragraphs in the OP otherwise, if making suggestions against our own preferences and against our own situation, you'd likely get a lot of 'whatever guitar and amp YOU think would best suit YOUR needs.

:p

I think a strat with a bridge humbucker covers a hell of a lot more ground that I need to cover than any dual HB guitar. I live on the neck single coil tone and there's zero chance my only guitar would lack it.

At least I suggested a small amp.

14. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

I'd get an a PRS Hollowbody copy with changed electronics, a blues junior, and a good drive + M5

15. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

A used 90's Les Paul Studio ($600) or a PRS SE (<$500)

Used Fender Blues Jr ($300), Super Champ XD ($200), or Vox AC15C1 ($400)

If there is money for a pedal, a used OCD ($100) is a good all around rock overdrive.

Personally, I'd go used 90's LP and Vox.

16. FLStratcat

FLStratcat Member

I'd surf pawnshops for a beat up $150-$200 mexi strat, freshen it up (level/crown/polish or replace the frets, replace the nut with a Tusq (another $30), get a GFS brass trem block ($35), set of raw vintage springs ($20), cut the trem arm down, put in a set of GFS '69 p'ups ($50), an SSL5 at the bridge, used ($60ish?), and a PiO cap from Allparts ($27), and a RadioShack toggle for the bridge ON ($6)) so I'm at $528 on the axe.

Probably find a used Blues Deville and do a couple mods to it. Should be at around $1k when it's all said n' done :D

To fit your situation: I dunno honestly, not a humbucker d00d :)

17. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

A used DRRI, a FSR MIM Tele and an OCD. I got just that for under a grand last year. I have a bunch of other stuff too, but that's my dive bar rig for now. Or sub a cheap Epi
    LP for the Tele. Or a Haze 40 for the DRRI. Or...

18. Varc

Varc Member

I'd get more money. :p

But in all seriousness.. If you're not gigging, amp wise you don't need more than like the Marshall mg30dfx for around $150-$200 used, but that doesn't have the greatest tone, so you could go with the Fender Blues Jr. for about $300 used. Now you've got no overdrive if you use the Blues jr. so you'll need a pedal. I'd go with the Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive, its based on a ts808 with true bypass and has two different voicing options. Its a solid pedal that you should be able to find used for around $70.

Guitar wise, its a bit of a crap shoot, but I'd probably look for a cheap used Gibson Les Paul Studio or 60's tribute or faded SG of sorts and hope that I had enough money left to swap the pickups for some '57 Classics.

19. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

ummmmm this is TGP you have to add a zero at the end

I say LP Tribute 60's and Classic 30 or Used Blues Junior

20. yoyoyoseph

yoyoyoseph Member

I'd get a Vox ac15 and a Reverend Double Agent. Tons of tones there. Blues Jr. III is good too.