You like your tone but its shouldn't sound like it does?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by edwardsforest, Dec 16, 2009.

1. edwardsforest

edwardsforest Member

Sorry for the confusing title. Anyhow:

Ever get that feeling when you dial in a cool rig/tone/sound which, you like and totally dig, but in the back of your head you aren't 100% truly satisfied with because essentially its some tone you are trying to replicate?

For instance, if one were to use a cheap overdrive with a cheap solid state amp to get near something to that of a dumble or marshall superlead. Yeah, you may have reached something near the actual tone and it is pleasing to your ears, but you know its not truly authentic, and therefore it kind of brings you down, almost as if it still won't be good enough until it were the exactly a dumble or marshall. Or maybe that feeling almost as if you were cheating? Or as if someone were to hear it and see it and say, "Yeah man, that sounds alright, but that sure will never be the same as a cranked plexi!"

Sure a behringer distortion and a peavey solid state amp can bring fun for some, but still, it will not be the same thing as plugging straight into a JMP. We all know this. Point is, I find it interesting how I am still distracted by the fact that image and authenticity has clearly overrun my ability to have fun and be pleased with what I have. Now that I reach this point in my digression, I do realize I am beating a already VERY dead horse. BUT, I think this truly connects with some of the jokes and irony that goes on around this board, mainly how there are a select amount of people who buy the dumble, get the tone, and well, you haven't exactly reached any sonic nirvana because really, you are still playing that same cream riff you were playing the day before through your peavey classsic 30. Funny stuff.

The internet has ruined us all!

Alright guys, I'm ready for whatever you've got to throw at me:boxer

2. D4vidgd

D4vidgd Supporting Member

:agree

3. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

I suspect the second person who picked up an electric guitar after they were invented, and every person since then has felt the way you describe at one point or another, for greater or lesser periods of time.

Here's some things to consider... Why would you pick the instrument up if you didn't like the way it sounds? How do you know what it sounds like if you haven't heard someone else play it? Wouldn't you naturally try to create the same sounds? While imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, it's human nature to be at least somewhat hedonistic. When we enjoy something, we naturally try to enjoy it more, even if we have (ahem) help ourselves.

The whole music industry would be in a world of hurt if that were not all true. We've been buying distortion boxes and modifying our amplifiers ever since Mr. Hendrix and some like him showed us what ripping signal to shreds and abusing amplifiers sounded like. The pioneers of many enjoyable sounds have spawned an industry dedicated to making it possible for us all to make those sounds, because we enjoy them and demand the ability to make them ourselves.

But, to get back to what your point - who cares? And I don't mean to dismiss you, I'm just saying not to be distracted by appearances. If I could get the sound of a Marshall JCM900 out of a $25 Kmart bent can rack amp, you can bet your last nickel I'd do it. I don't care what the box says or looks like. I care what it sounds like.

For instance, Behringer gets a lot of grief for sourcing equipment that's "nothing but a rip-off". Well, duh! Nearly everything in the music industry is a rip-off. The only differences are usually how good a job they do and how much they charge for doing it.

So, don't sweat it. Concentrate on the art. And remember: The Fender Stratocaster is a rip-off of the Gibson Les Paul <grin>

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  4. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I think places like this have made a lot of us overthink things. If your getting a tone you dig out of a $29 stompbox and a $50 peavey amp then roll with it. Don't worry that it's not "Real". If it sounds good and you like it then it's real.

Scott