You might not think so, but you NEED a 2 amp rig to get the best of both worlds...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by michael.e, May 24, 2008.

1. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

In a no-compromise situation, 2 amps are it. Get the best cleans that you can find and couple it with the absolute best OD/Lead tones.

Clean-AC30BM with a Z-Vex BoR: Everything from gorgeous flutely, chimey cleans to crushed glass/blizzard of nails/pick responsive OD.

Dirt/lead-Orange AD50HW from the Custom Shop: Supa stanky dirt to woody, sweet meat/liquid tones that have bite and girth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had the Orange at our band rehearsal studio for quite some time. Da band loves it. I have done some serious consolidating and this is all I have left...:(

Not to worry too much for me tho boys, I do have an incredible JMP combo from '72 coming in soon.

I will assult your ears with a little taste test very soon...

Anyway, I have had some incredible experiences with some GREAT channel switchers, but, alas, they are all gone. I need all the help that I can get and I cannot stop until I find the absolute best tones that work for me.

As soon as this is compleat, I am going to be looking for the BEST Fender type tones in BF, Blonde and Tweed.

Throw out some suggestions on that please!!

Emee

2. H_V_C

H_V_C Member

I pretty much agree, however, it's just not practical unless your playing huge concerts and you have plenty of roadies and a guitar tech.

Also, my choice would be a blackface super reverb and blackface pro reverb for cleans, and a Komet or 2 for dirty tones. :)

3. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

4. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

5. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I agree, in a recording situation. . .You need a Fender type amp for that type cleans, and a Vox type amp for that type of cleans. It also helps to have a Marshall type amp for grind. Then, it's a choice of OD boxes for lead.

Playing live, it's another thing. Although I'm not playing out anymore, if I did, I think it's a great idea to have two amp heads and a 2 X 12 that you could live with and a Radial Headbone or something like that to switch between amp heads. I've got a Germino Club 40 (grind) with a Germino 2 X 12 loaded with 2 Heritage G12M's and I'm going to pair it with a Two Rock Jet (cleans and Lead). The Germino sounds great through the cab, and so does the Jet.

6. doublee

doublee Member

Totally agree but if its impractical at least have an extension cab to aim the sound in 2 slightly diff directions.

7. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Stark amps.

8. H_V_C

H_V_C Member

BTW, for a practical solution, I use vintage fenders and then use BJF stuff to get my other amp tones.
    Sure it's not the same as having different amps, but during the show, you won't care or miss other amps, not really anyhow.

9. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

He had Sex amp #10!

Michael,

Wait until you hear the Marshall clean, OMG!!!

Fender cleans, I love two Princetons in stereo.

I agree, that's why I usually take two amps to gigs. With my Bradshaw rig I can preset clean to lead tones for each guitar. I get the best of both worlds.

10. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

Rivera can do it with one amp.

11. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

I need a two-amp rig like I need a raging case of hemorrhoids.

12. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

michael.e, that is one serious rig, sir!

13. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

OR, you could just plop this down on your favorite cab and have FOUR great tube amps, two parallel loops, one serial loop, one preamp insert loop, one cab switcher, fantastic built-in reverb and dozens of voicing options at your MIDI-controlled command!

[​IMG]

14. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

I agree about the two amp rig. I have my "Marshall" sound covered, but I REALLY miss my Fender clean sound. Nothing beats Fender clean and verb imho...

Two of my old rigs...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I'm only running this...must get another Fender rig....

[​IMG]

15. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

Killer Rig, Mike!!

What are you using to split between the amps? I find that everything I use changes the tone too much. :(

16. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

:BEER

17. michael.e

Nice rigs guys and thanks for the compliments! :BEER

Ya Gilbert I cannot wait to hear those cleans!!

Steve, I know what you mean about ANYTHING detracting from the tone of the rig.
    I have used my share of the high dollar ABY's. Some are pretty nice, some completely change the tone.

I have found a way to combat this. I have taken the switcher that has the least circuitry, yet has high quality componentry, and bumped the signal back up with a very special little box...

Guitar, via Evidence Lyric HG, goes in to a Daiz Squareface Fuzz....
    Fuzz, via George-L .155 shorty, goes to a Radial ABY [the little one]......
    "A" side goes straight to Orange via Lyric HG
    "B" side goes to the Z-Vex Box of Rock, then to the Vox via Evidence Lyric.

Both cab's are mic'd for spatial effects.

I must add that I rarely dime my guitar volume controls, I play with them quite a bit.
    As much of a pure signal tone chaser as I am, I am perfectly happy with this setup [for now] with regard to touch response and feel, as well as tone. I have not found a better setup for retaining that "plugged straight in" feel.

Emee

18. Uncle Pat

Uncle Pat Member

My personal gear philosophy...the average listener probably doesn't care how many amps I'm using or how clean my cleans are, or how lush my overdrive is. They want to be moved by good note selection and placement of those notes.
    An amp selected for my needs and a guitar setup to fully utilize those volume and tone knobs from stop to stop gets me there, every time.

Oh, and I'm lazy as hell too.
    I don't like packin' a lot of stuff.

19. michael.e

See that's a difference in philosiphy Pat.

Here is the way I like to see it.....

My rock career is not going to be that long, I need to make the effort to use this stuff NOW.
    Really, dragging 2 amps around [yes, up stairwells also] is not THAT hard. Yes, it is a pain in the ass, but use the right tools and the work is well worth it.

I have played gigs through average gear, I have played gigs through stellar gear. Stellar gear wins each time. True the audience does not care if I am playing through a Komet or a Sovtek, but I do. The audience comes to hear a performance, I am there to give them the best performance possible. That does not mean "listen to my amp", that means listen to OUR performance. I am most effective in the band collective when I am using the best gear possible in order to get the highest level of touch response, feel and tone possible.
    In my experience, using a high performance amp takes my whole musical/performance experience up a few notches. That translates in to the audience getting the very best of what I can give.

So yes, I could do gigs with an Agile, Whirlwind, Peavy TKO setup.
    Yes, the audience may not notice I did not bring my "A" rig..

But...

As I have seen it so eloquently put in somebody's sig..

"Life is too short for a "B" rig"

Emee

20. Uncle Pat

Uncle Pat Member

I agree with everything you said except the part about two amps. :p
    I've played with mediocre gear for most of my adult life, only in the last 6 or 7 years being able to grab some nice pieces.
    And yeah man...they do inspire!
    Part of my stance is based on that, too. It took me so long to get some good guitars and amps (couple of Dr Z's, Valvetech Hayseed 30, Fender Vibro King at the present, and been through Carr, Marshall, other Z's etc along the way) that I'm really tickled with what one of these amps will do when you "work it"..pick attack, vol/tone controls on the guitar etc
    So, one good amp does it for me.
    :BEER