You own a Kemper or Axe. Are you still a pedal junkie?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by amigo30, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I've never been big into pedals in 30 years of playing and performing. For decades I used an original ProCo RAT (bought new), CE-2 (bought new, probably the famous style MIJ?) and an Ibanez Tube king. I think at one point I added a DD-3 and used it to run stereo backline (Fender Bandmaster + Peavey Classic 2x12). That was my collection for decades.
    The huge appeal for me with top tier digital like Helix, Kemper, AxeFX is ease of implementation, super high quality FX and presets, snapshots, scenes, etc.
    I'm in rig limbo right now and when I weigh the pro's/con's of full on modeling vs. pedals in front of amp it's always the same thing... cost of a board, cost of powering the board, cabling, keeping settings between gigs, etc.
    EDIT: But that one shot of the two pedal boards earlier in this thread is beautiful.

Elric and amigo30 like this.
  2. hippietim

hippietim Silver Supporting Member

I don't look at any of the common stuff anymore - drives, chorus, delay, etc. The pedals I still buy are synth and pitch effects.

amigo30 and JiveTurkey like this.
  3. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Member

4. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Supporting Member

I've never been a pedal junkie but they are super fun. I have a couple of drives coming this week as a matter of fact :anon

creative360, mikekim and amigo30 like this.
  5. Tomi JR

Tomi JR Member

I personally love using my pedalboard to come up with different tones when tracking. It’s just so much fun having the board at your feet so you can adjust things on the fly. It’s an amazing way to get inspired.

After I have finished tracking and have a clear idea of the different tones I need live, I’ll use the effects from the Kemper to do it all, so I don’t need to drag my board with me.

[​IMG]

6. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

No. One of the form factors I love about my KPR/cabinet rig is that I only need 1 AC power plug and the Ethernet cable to PoE the remote. I have my KPR in a lightweight 3u shallow Gator case and just treat it like an amp head. I can set up and be ready for downbeat in 3-5 minutes from unload.

every pedal added gives 2 potential failure points, plus potential added noise and AC hum from additional power supplies. There’s nothing I need that’s not already in the Kemper.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Gasp100, newfmp3 and amigo30 like this.
  7. mikekim

mikekim Member

also forgot to mention i have one of these as well :p

[​IMG]
    cant beat like sticking it in front of a plexi Profile..

8. Tricerapotamus

Tricerapotamus Member

Never used a pedal with my Axe-FX II and haven't felt the need for one... but I miss my Strymon Deco tape saturation effect.

9. darkphader

darkphader Member

Yes. Love the Kemper, but love the amps and pedals as well. Lately for rehearsals been using a small pedal board with the Iridium instead of dragging the Kemper around; it's a lot lighter and a quicker setup.

Gasp100 and FlyingsCool like this.
  10. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

Been on the Kper wagon for two years now. No additional pedals needed. Absolutely not necessary.

creative360 and amigo30 like this.
  11. vladorg

vladorg Member

Still a pedal junkie even after a Fractal FX8, HXFX, HX Stomp and a Kemper...sadly. It's an addiction!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    blueprint, amigo30 and JiveTurkey like this.
  12. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

No but I never was one.

Back when I had tube amps I was always super frustrated by pedals, especially OD/distortion. I struggled to get them to work properly with the amp. The best I was able to do was when I had a Marshall DSL50 set up as a crunchy tone and then used a boost, then it was kicking ass. But I had no clean tone. Using Fender amps every dirt pedal sounded like ass.

Shortly after that I embraced modelers. I've got more control and it's all in the device.

Gasp100 likes this.
  13. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

Has a pedalboard (or three) full of pedals = Pedal Junkie

Has a $2000 modeler to replace all those pedals = Pedal Zealot

Has lots of pedals and one or more modelers = Pedal Kingpin

mikekim and amigo30 like this.
  14. telecast

telecast Member

Darkphader, what do u think of the amp sounds in the iridium compared to the amp sounds in Kemper?

15. otter5555

otter5555 Member

kemper owner here, i have no use for ANY kind of pedal. the kemper alone does all i want to do.

16. darkphader

darkphader Member

They're both very good. The Kemper is more versatile, can emulate any profiled amp, plus all the efx are built right in; the Iridium is more limited, much smaller, much lighter, and with a few pedals can get the job done. No good reason not to have both, as well as a few good amps.

Gasp100 likes this.
  17. mikekim

mikekim Member

I know this is sort of heading off in a tangent to the original thread, but before Darkphader responds I surmise the following:

The Iridium and Kemper are two totally different units, so comparing them against each other is pointless.

The Kemper can sound like any amp & cabinet/speaker combination ever created (as long as you have the correct profiles) and given the right captured profile can sound identical to the amp its recreating.
    The Iridium on the other hand can emulate a Fender Deluxe, Vox AC30 and Marshall Plexi Super Lead (with cabinet variations)... admittedly very well.

Don't get me wrong, the Iridium is a stunning piece of kit (from all of the demos I've seen about it) and after I've had a chance to play one I'll probably buy one.. it looks a far easier solution for an easy grab and go rehearsal solution, but its no Kemper...

edit... ninja'd by Darkphander while writing out the post :)

18. Aquinas

Aquinas Silver Supporting Member

As a Helix owner and former owner of a Kemper and Axe II, no, pretty much don't look at pedals anymore. I only really use fuzzes and some "oddities" as pedals - things like the WMD Geiger Counter or Crowther Prunes & Custard. Occasionally use some things that the Helix can't do, like the envelope-controlled Empress Phaser (though the Axe can do that, the Helix can't).

Still look at fuzzes. Don't care about much else.

19. clothwiring

clothwiring Member

I believe I've owned the Helix for 3 years at this point. I was an early adopter. I think I've sold all my old pedals at this point and have not purchased any new pedals since.

20. telecast

telecast Member

Yeah I was referring to sound quality only. I understand the limitations in the features of one vs. the other. So if u had both going through the same monitor, cab, frfr, whatever, and u were comparing the deluxe reverb model in iridium with your favorite deluxe reverb profile in Kemper, using the same IR, how would they compare? Is iridium close but not quite? R they on par?