• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

You See Me Laughin': The Last of the Hill Country Bluesmen

I Am Misery

why am i not at all surprised at the lack of interest in these guys by the many "blues fans" of TGP?

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
It's one of my favorite documentaries! I bought the DVD a number of years ago and watch it every few months. I've loaned it out to friends and everyone has enjoyed it...I cannot get enough of the Fat Possum collection.

This is REALLY worth watching for anyone that wants to experience some deep blues and artists they may never have heard of before!

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
Fat Possum recordings have been in my collection for ages. I think all the old blues guys in the movie are dead now. Great movie. Could've lived with Bono.
I assume that you meant that you coulda lived WITHOUT Bono in the movie, but his story is SO priceless...U2 learned something that night. :D

DRS

A great documentary for anyone to see who thinks that blues is about 10 minute, million note guitar solos!
Fat Possum caught the tail end of true roots blues & thank goodness they did.
Great doc. Saw it a few months ago. This is the blues. Forget haunting mids, HRM, and diminished scales.

choucas09

Only watched a bit as it's late here, but what I saw looked very promising. Will check it out tomorrow. Thanks for posting.

Holliman

Triad Abuser
I consider it a blessing that I got to regularly see RL & Junior while living in Oxford. There is no better feeling than catching a buzz and dancing with a pretty woman to some hill country blues. Fun times...

I Am Misery

I consider it a blessing that I got to regularly see RL & Junior while living in Oxford. There is no better feeling than catching a buzz and dancing with a pretty woman to some hill country blues. Fun times...
man, i can't even imagine seeing those guys in person (especially Kimbrough). i know we didn't quite have the portable recording tech back then like we do today, but i think it's a horrible shame that there aren't more (barely any?) live recordings from the 90s when they were playing often (?). even some boombox recordings would have been fantastic.

Burnside, Kimbrough, and T-Model get all the mention, but i've found that i REALLY dig Asie Payton and Charles Caldwell.

Holliman

Triad Abuser
I used to have a live recording from Proud Larry's in Oxford of RL, Kenny, Cedric and a Japanese bass player that found his way from Okinowa to Potts Camp MS and started playing with Kenny. He couldn't speak English and Kenny called him by some random name like Yoshi or something. That recording was clean and RL and Kenny were on fire. The best part of the recording was the beginning of the first set. The house music was up in the mix a good bit and had a real funky beat behind it. Cedric picked up the beat and Kenny jumped in with his slide and they jammed a good 8 minutes before RL even got to the stage.

The very first time I ever heard of RL Burnside was while I was still in high school in Columbus back in like 94 or so. RL played a blues night at local kick ass restaurant in West Point MS. I swear to God he drank a half gallon of Jack Daniels straight throughout his set. His flask was a toy baby doll that had a container of some sorts rigged inside of it. The head would screw on/off.

I actually played bass quite a bit behind a more obscure Alabama blues man by the name of Willie King. He lived across the line over in Pickensville AL. Willie and I got pretty tight. He passed on a few years ago.

Hill Country Blues, where the I iV V don't mean a ****ing thing.

Lotis

Gold Supporting Member
the absolutely real deal. For a change. Some people think the blues started with SRV. Nope.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
I loved watching that. I used to get all those Fat Possum discs for review. It's true that some of the Blues Nazis were horrified when they remixed R.L. Burnside's music. They should have gotten lives.

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
I used to have a live recording from Proud Larry's in Oxford of RL, Kenny, Cedric and a Japanese bass player that found his way from Okinowa to Potts Camp MS and started playing with Kenny. He couldn't speak English and Kenny called him by some random name like Yoshi or something. That recording was clean and RL and Kenny were on fire. The best part of the recording was the beginning of the first set. The house music was up in the mix a good bit and had a real funky beat behind it. Cedric picked up the beat and Kenny jumped in with his slide and they jammed a good 8 minutes before RL even got to the stage.

The very first time I ever heard of RL Burnside was while I was still in high school in Columbus back in like 94 or so. RL played a blues night at local kick ass restaurant in West Point MS. I swear to God he drank a half gallon of Jack Daniels straight throughout his set. His flask was a toy baby doll that had a container of some sorts rigged inside of it. The head would screw on/off.

I actually played bass quite a bit behind a more obscure Alabama blues man by the name of Willie King. He lived across the line over in Pickensville AL. Willie and I got pretty tight. He passed on a few years ago.

Hill Country Blues, where the I iV V don't mean a ****ing thing.
Thank you for sharing that!

Incredible that you played with Willie King. A staple in my CD collection is Willie King's "Freedom Creek." I love that disc...I think it's fantastic that you were able to play music with him.

Let's not forget Jessie Mae Hemphil.....I don't think I've seen her name mentioned yet. She was so cool...:)

conanb

Great doc. Been in my collection for a few years. Alongside The Blues According To Lightening Hopkins () it's my favourite blues doc.

ShadowCanAm

That's a cool documentary. I saw it on IFC a few years ago...back when they still showed real indie films.

I watched You See Me Laughin', and The Blues Accordin' To Lightnin' Hopkins, two or three times before it was posted here. Last night I watched it again. I dig it.

Trending Topics