You Shiva Players!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by avenerjimmie, Mar 23, 2006.

1. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

I am once again considering my OD options into my Shiva (currently I only use a Skreddy Ernie into my clean as far as pedal drives), and wanted to get an idea of how other people use their amps. Do you run a TS type pedal set low into a hotter drive channel, or a hot TS into lower gain? Do you just use a clean boost? Any and every way you use a drive pedal into a Shiva, I'd love to hear how you do it (and sure, hear it if possible).

For reference, I have an old Blue Collar that needs some repair, and a Timmy with a switch problem. Once it's fixed, would the Timmy work well as a clean boost, or as a higher boost over a breaking up OD channel? I am also very happy with amp's OD tone, but wanting to broaden its options.

I'm also very much curious if anyone has had good results with a TBIAC into a Shiva. Any helps at all would be radical, thanks!

2. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

The one time I tried this head it was at Fat Sound and it sounded too compressed. I dug the erganomics of it and wanted to buy it. I also am starting not to like amps and this includes some great amps that have to have the internal boost on to sound good. I know Suhr amps have the boost. Does the Top Hat Emp.? I played the el34 Shiva. How does the 6l6 sound.

3. sws1

sws1 Member

I set the gain on lead channel to about 10 or 11 oclock. Then use either a FullDrive, TubeScreamer, or Fuzz Pedal, set low to kick the Shiva into higher gain.

4. mlavin00

mlavin00 Member

I'm wondering the same thing myself. I just picked up an EL34 head and I'm going to get either the OCD, FD II, or the MJM Blues Devil for my OD pedal and do you have any preferences? I was thinking about using the od on the clean channel and keep the dirty channel failry saturated, but the reverse sounds cool as well.
    Mitch

5. bobbtoz

bobbtoz Silver Supporting Member

I've used a variety of different boost pedals w/ the shiva and all have sounded fairly good. Things can easily become muddy on the od channel of the shiva if its pushed to hard. I've been setting the shivas od gain at 9-10 o'clock. I use either a MI Audio tube zone or the catalinabread scod to slam the od. Sounds really good and the notes sound clear (no muddy tone). If you increase the gain above 11 o'clock things get really saturated and articulation gets lost.

Both the tube zone and scod are fantastic pedals. The TZ has a thicker low end and has a nice warm tone. The scod has a big push in the mids and complements the shiva very well. Do you remember the Van Halen song "Where have all the good times gone?" The scod and the shiva nail that tone to a "T".

6. kselbee

kselbee Member

I too was looking for a lead channel on my Shiva. It's got the goods everywhere else, but I never could find a lead channel there. Tried a few pedals and still never was completely happy. Then I plugged an old ADA MP1 into it and HOLY SHAMOLI!!!! I'm ordering a TC Electronic G Major and a MIDI pedal and then just run these into the loop return on the Shiva and I have an infinite number of channels (ok, 256). Simple rack, then head, then cab. I know this is not the kinda setup many folks around here would consider, especially Shiva owners, but I gotta say it is SMOKIN!!!! And, an MP1 can be had on ebay for beans.

7. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

I played mine with the clean channel dimed and an RC Booster when needed.

I started with the OD channel, gain dimed..but it was too dark..backed it off to about noon and used the gain bootst and rc booster as needed.

Eventually I gravitated to the clean channel dimed and the master at about noon, then set gain about 10-11 o'clock and set gain volume accordingly given the high master setting...but the master at noon or higher really makes that amp sing.

The reverb seems very responsive to higher master settings, so putting in a 12t7 for the reverb driver really helped tame the reverb some.

8. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

I tried diming the clean, but noticed some added noise (kind of a rattle) that Greg at Bogner said was caused by overloading the channel. I now run both of my channels at about noon (which he recommended). I love the tone of my OD channel at 3 0'clock for rhythm, but it's not quite there for leads. I also love the tone of it at noon-ish for lighter rhythm (no boost) and it definitely does retain clarity there. Cranking the master is also nice, but I rarely get to go above 9 o'clock in any settings. I am going to get the Timmy fixed and see what that (or the WMB) do for it, but the SCOD is interesting. Any chance of clips Bobbtoz? Or at least settings you use?

Another random thought here: I was thinking about getting a loooper or someone else to make a latching pedal with loops built in so I can switch channels and activate a pedal specific to that channel. It would be the perfect alternative to midi controlling with analog pedals. I could assign the TBIAC to my clean, and maybe an FD-II to the dirt, and then plan ahead for whether I want it on or not when I switch. Dunno if it would work, but it seems pretty realistic.

9. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

10. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

My Addrock Boostmaster sounded great with both channels of the Shiva. It sounds great with every amp I've tried it with, actually.

11. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

What applications did you use it in? Lead boost?

12. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

That looks like a sweet setup! That give me something to think about. I was thinking about doing the same thing with my dual rec. By the way man, nice tunes, I just checked out your myspace. I really dig that song "Sinking Feeling", nice work! :) Is that the Shiva on those recordings ? Also, where did you record at and can you give me a rough estimate on cost. A buddy of mine runs a studio, but they charge $55 and hour and that a little much for me :)

13. s_brink

s_brink Member

I have an EL34 head that I've been using pretty steadily since 2000. A bunch of different projects in that time, so I've used the amp in a number of different ways. I can always seem to find a solution with the Shiva. It's like a hammer, and everything I throw at it is a nail.

For pop and rock stuff I use the gain channel. I tend to run the gain at 9 or 10:00 and the channel volume higher. Overall volume and tone I adjust to the room. For hooks and leads I used a FDII for a long time. Set it mostly as a volume boost with the compression off. Pushing it that way gets me out in front of the mix while keeping the voice of the amp, which I like.

More recently I switched to a Tim, then a Timmy. Same formula, better results.

A recent project has me using the clean channel with pedals for OD. I run the channel at about noon.

This has been a lot of fun, and I've bought a bunch of OD boxes to mix and match. I usually run two on my board. The Timmy is a staple for light OD on single note stuff and songs where I need to have chords that sustain. Also to push the second OD if I'm using that one for rhythm.

For the heavier OD I've liked the OCD and especially the BB. Very amp like for rhythm work. Just this week I got a Lovepedal Eternity and have been absolutely floored! The voicing and feel of that box is pretty much perfection.

Here's a couple examples. The first one is a Wolfgang standard and a FDII in the studio. Gain channel.

Shiva Studio

This one is a live cover band. I think it was a Melancon mahogany Tele variant with P90s. FDII on the gain channel, and a light univibe.

Shiva Live

14. devbro

devbro Member

One thing that's not been mentioned is the pick-up's your using. I noticed that My EL34 Shiva sounds very different using single coils than himbuckers. I really like the Zen for lower gain and the FDII for more high gain. The Timmy didn't really work too well for on the Shiva. (Sidenote: I almost sold the Timmy until I tried it with my Fuchs ODS50 and I finally understand what all the Timmy hype is about)

I found the Shiva drive channel a too dark but recently Biased the amp a little hotter and it sounds a little better. Of course it could have something to do with brand new Winged "C" tubes.

I love the Shiva clean channel but the drive channel just never really did it for me. As previously mentioned, it's pretty compressed and difficult to get that "blooming" sustain. I mostly use the clean channel with pedals for drive.

15. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

Thanks man! Yeah, all of the recordings we've done have been almost 90% Shiva. The lead is a Fuzz Factory into a Deluxe Memory Man. There are a few rhythm parts recorded with a Rivera Rake as well. As far as recording, we worked with a guy named Joel Wild. He doesn't run a studio per se, and we're the only band he's recorded in years. I can't really tell you prices or anything, or whether he wants to record anyone else at this time. Sorry I can't be more helpful in that respect.

Also, S Brink: the clips sound great. So, what settings are you running your Timmy at? Do you ever use the amp's boost alongside it? Also, how gainy can the BB or Eternity get with your setup? I really need to send my Timmy off for repairs. I barely even had a chance to try it out...

It does seem like setting the Shiva to lower gain and using pedals will widen my options significantly. I have a friend with an Eternity. Maybe I'll try that out sometime soon. If you listen to the songs in my sing's link, you can get an idea of the tones I lean toward. Gain of Shiva at 3 o'clock, boost engaged most of the time. One concern I have is losing that tone (possibly my favorite tone in the amp). Tone searches are tricky business huh?

16. bobbtoz

bobbtoz Silver Supporting Member

I'm not set up to do any clips at the present. Here's my general settings. Shiva od gain set at 10-11 o'clock. Scod vol set 3 o'clock contour- to taste and gain 9 o'clock.

I'm getting the MI Audio Crunch Box tomorrow so I'll give you guys a heads up on how this performs w/ the shiva.

17. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

Awesome. I'd definitely love to hear how that goes. Thanks man.