You Sound so good, what gear are you using?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by /13guitarman, Apr 20, 2015.

1. /13guitarman

/13guitarman Member

You Sound so good, what gear are you using?

I get this all the time and it's always from other guitar players.
    For once I would like to think I sound good from all the practicing I've done and years of playing in a band, but no. I know it's a complement, but sometimes I would just like to hand them my guitar and say go for it and good luck sounding like me.

I don't want to start fingers vs gear. I know my guitar and amp influence me to play better and does have it's own sound, but it does it in a way that complements my own playing technique.

2. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

When they ask what gear you use, tell them, but then hold up your hands and say, "and these!"

3. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Silver Supporting Member

Sure you don't.. The "you sound good" is a complement, the "what gear are you using" is curiosity. I always want to see what other guitar players are using. I have no interest in sounding like them.

4. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

1+ Totally agree

5. Cornbread

Cornbread Silver Supporting Member

So, what gear do you use?

:red

6. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

It always slightly annoys me when I get things like this because it makes me feel the person is more interested in my gear than what I was playing. Why doesn't anyone ever come up to you after a gig and say "you sound so good, I love how you handle the ii-V-I's in your solos, and the way you added the extra tension with the diminished chord before the dominant in that last song!"

7. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?

Well stated, and so true!

8. sleewell

sleewell Member

a lot of people think that if they can just get the gear of the people whose tones they like that they will automatically sound like them.

or they are just into gear and just wanted to start up a conversation.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  9. fezz parka

fezz parka Member

I swapped rigs at a jam one time with another guitarist who kept fawning over my rig. He sounded like him playing through my rig, and I sounded like me through his.

10. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

The best response to that was attributed to Chet Atkins.

When somebody commented on how great his guitar sounded, he reportedly put it down on a chair and asked, "How does it sound now?".

11. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

:rockin

12. billyjett

billyjett Member

Very true! Years ago, there was a big SRV fad going around in my neck of the woods where every cover band guitar player(including me!) was trying to sound like him. There was a big run on Tube Screamers, Fender amps, and Strats with heavy strings bought up by guitarist's who were trying to cop that tone.Years before that , it was Eddie Van Halen, all of a sudden everyone had to have a guitar with a whammy bar on it, and a modded Marshall because they wanted to sound like him. In both cases, nobody succeeded!! What you sound like is part of your soul, and who you are. If people are impressed enough with your playing that they approach you at a gig to ask about your gear, they might think it's the gear, but you know better. If their asking because they want to sound like you, that's a pretty good compliment in itself!

13. /13guitarman

/13guitarman Member

It would be cool to say great solo or how long you've been playing to break the ice first. I know they mean no harm and it is a compliment, and I'm lucky for that. Sometimes it makes you think I sound good but can't play very well.

14. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

many guitarists are incredibly awkward while complimenting other guitarists

15. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

The fingers thing is so tiring...

Most of us here are tone chasers and gear hounds. Why is it so difficult to accept that maybe another guitarist simply likes the sounds coming from your amp and is curious as to what gear you're using?

If I complimented someone like this and they gave me a smug answer involving their fingers, I'd suggest where they can put them and move on.

16. doc

doc Member

My cousin related a story about an ardent fan of Bill Monroe finally having a chance to play his mandolin in front of his hero. He had the Bill Monroe hat and outfit and right style mandolin, and he stepped up and played a number of his best Bill Monroe licks. Bill failed to offer an opinion, so the guy asked what he thought of his playing. Bill asked to borrow his mandolin, played a couple of licks, then handed it back. He then said, "Well, it ain't the mandolin".

17. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

18. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

19. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

I personally think "you sound good" is complimenting your playing. A person with bad technique will sound bad thru the best of equipment. 95% of the guitarist I know are into gear so that's why it's the logical next thing to say. I know in my life my job and family take up a majority of my time and I rarely get to sit and talk gear with anyone so if the opportunity arises I am all over it.

I also think as someone else stated most guitarist are ackward with compliments and rarely if ever give them to other guitarist. It's like them admitting someone else might be better at guitar than them that isn't a world renowned guitarist. I'm more than happy to get the you sound good from my guitarist friends because I know what they mean.

20. Valus

Valus Member

Holy crap, it's a compliment. Take it in the spirit in which it was likely given and get over yourself.

And people wonder why guitar players have the reputation of being prima donnas...