You stop listening to new music at age 33...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Brian D, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Brian D

Brian D Member

...earlier for parents, study finds.

I don't necessarily agree, but it's an interesting study (text below, additional images and audio at link above):

Article posted by Dave Shumka in Pop

If you're worried about losing your love of new music, your fears are justified. That's according to new research that finds listeners reach "maturity" around age 33. In other words, you're done with discovering new music when you reach your mid-thirties.

The study compared multiple sets of data, including the age and gender of Spotify users, their parental status, and the overall popularity of artists. The study found that teenagers listen almost exclusively to the most popular artists, but their tastes evolve steeply into their mid-twenties, and then slowly until they level off in their mid-thirties.

According to the study, there are two reasons for this.

"First, listeners discover less-familiar music genres that they didn’t hear on FM radio as early teens, from artists with a lower popularity rank. Second, listeners are returning to the music that was popular when they were coming of age — but which has since phased out of popularity."

The research also found that men gravitate away from popular artists further and earlier than women, and that at any age, parents listen to less music by popular artists than their childless counterparts. Check out the entire study here.

But don't worry too much. According to other surveys, 33-year-olds are too busy and happy to care.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  2. loudboy

loudboy Member

I listen to more new music now, at 58, than I did as a teenager.

3. JasonElGato

JasonElGato Member

I listen to less new music after 33 but still plenty new stuff all the time

4. Bankston

Bankston Member

I still seek out new music. When you stop discovering new music, you get old.

wstsidela likes this.
  5. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

All music has been crappy since I was 33. Lol.

6. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

Right. So if you don't buy a Nikki Minaj or Justin Beiber record you're out of touch, over the hill, and yelling at clouds. What a stupid study.

EDIT: adding this to clarify for those who didn't understand my post.
    The problem with "studies" like this is that they completely ignore an ENORMOUS factor: the decline of popular music. Recorded music has been around for 100 years now. For the first 80 years or so, records were made by musicians who had spent their lives honing their musicianship. But in the last 20 years or so, technology has advanced to the point where non-musicians can make records. Lindsey Lohan and Kim Kardashian have made records, for example. If you're going to say that THEIR records are as good as the records made by dedicated and talented professional musicians, I would say your ear for music is extremely under-developed. If on the other hand, you tell me that the primary reason I don't respect their music is because I belong to the wrong age group, I would say you are completely brain washed.

Most of us spend a lot of time and energy seeking out new stuff to listen to, whereas the average Mom doesn't have that luxury. She'd rather wait for another Celine Dion record to come out than to try to dig on the latest T-Wayne hit. According to this 'study' it's because of her age- not because the radio plays dog ****.

7. Calaban

Calaban Member

I'm not sure that's exactly what the study said.

I don't think they mean 'new' music as in, exclusively modern pop artists. I think what they mean is that by 33, most people have developed their tastes and probably don't stray too far from that.

I'll admit that I only read the summary in the OP, not the study itself.

I look for new music all the time, but most of the new (to me) music I find that I actually like fits nicely into the types of sounds I had settled on by the time I was roughly 33. Granted, I like lots of different sounds, but not everything.

Doesn't seem like a stupid study to me :dunno

8. Porrig

Porrig Member

52. I seek out new music all the time.

9. Brian D

Brian D Member

Neither did I before posting it, so I followed a link that had more information. It's a bit too large to paste here, but it offers more info on the study and how it was conducted.

10. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I think it comes and goes for me. It's true that music from before my mid 30s is home base for me in a way newer things arent, but I think I still tend to expand my tastes and discover new music (although some of the "new to me" music is way old). For instance I've probably listened more to hard rock/metal in the last 2-3 years than in the previous 40 combined. And I like discovering things.

But then there'll be periods when all I want to listen to is my my home base - the core stuff that I have a history with

11. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

The idea of that is just aweful. Old and calcified at 33.

12. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

[​IMG]

13. grill

grill Member

sure, i listen but it doesn't take.

14. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I quit when Puddle of Mud and Nickelback came out :waiting

22Top and MONSTER ZERO like this.
  15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I didn't listen to David Cassidy or the BeeGees in the 70's.

I do still listen to the Ramones though.

MONSTER ZERO likes this.
  16. kimock

kimock Member

That study's a bunch of crap. .

17. Doug G

Doug G Silver Supporting Member

That point is key and I would certainly say has applied to me. Jazz, Blues and other genres that didn't appeal to me as a young man now do. I seek out new stuff, but the music geared towards younger people today doesn't necessarily resonate with me and probably isn't meant to.

18. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Well, they do have a point about listening to less new music when you become a parent, unless you count Raffi. :(

19. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

Well thankfully I've never "matured".

20. Peeb

Peeb Member

Because at that point the art of music had been perfected, so why search further? :cool:

I find this study interesting and generally accurate (tho exceptions are not uncommon for you lifetime searchers!).

Didn't read the source study- just the summary. Does it account for the 'echo effect' that I listen to more music as a really-old codger due to exposure from my teenaged kids?