• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

You thought you hated fuzz until you heard _______.

datguytim

Silver Supporting Member
Never really ‘hated’ it, loved Jimi from the get-go, but was too young (8) to realize he was using a fuzz face. Years later I found fuzz to be NOT my cup of tea- too harsh compared to cranked & modded Marshall’s. Now (40 years later) I’ve recently realized the coolness of a good fuzz. Got a Sunface BART on order to go with my new Strat - should be fun!

MeHereNow

I build myself a sunface on vero with sockets for the transistors.
Really diggin it and like the bc 109's best.
So for me: fuzzface circuits are thé fuzz sound.
Didnt care for mufflike sounds I found out.
So my thorpy Fallout Cloud was sold.

Buzzard Luck

3rd stone from the sun of the foxy lady feeling free, sounded great, and then again decades later thnkx EJ violin tone. Still don’t own one never bought or tried. (Mad Prof loud and proud had function but thin and fidgety and was 300$)
Recently was like....hmmm maybe I need a fuzz and a tube screamer!!!
Tube amp hard rockin boys like me will always chase a certain 70’s lead guitar friendly sound set up no matter the gear is.

Mtt02263

I've always loved the sound of fuzz, but hated playing it and didn't understand it until I rolled the volume back on a Fuzz Face. I would play it wide open and because at the time I never touched my guitars volume knob, it was just this muddy mess. Once I rolled the volume back, a whole new world of tones was available. Fuzz Faces are still my favorite fuzz types because of their responsiveness and versatility.

gingerale

I build myself a sunface on vero with sockets for the transistors.
Really diggin it and like the bc 109's best.
So for me: fuzzface circuits are thé fuzz sound.
Didnt care for mufflike sounds I found out.
So my thorpy Fallout Cloud was sold.
I did exactly the same thing the other week with the same result. The Sunface is really great with all the trimpots so you can adjust it to taste.

I nerded out and measured my AC128 transistors for leakage and gain and selected those closest to the recommended gain levels. Couldn’t be happier. Goes from clean to almost more of an overdrive, to fuzz just by turning your guitar volume.

Spider Mark

Hate fuzz? Never. Use fuzz myself? Well...

My first pedal purchase was a Black Arts Toneworks Coven - a Colorsound Overdrive and Tonebender in one. Instant Doom when I wanted it (and it took some advice from TGP to get the Pharaoh side right and how to use the Black Forest gain - that initial good advice has kept me here).

The Strictly Fuzz thread also gave me some great ideas and suggestions and I still think of it as the best Thread on TGP hands down - and put me onto Basic Audio, Fuzz Faces, Spaceman Fuzz (love my Sputnik III and Gemini IV) and so on.

Nevertheless, it does take some time with a good Fuzz to get where I find it useful rather than tone chasing - which I enjoy too, but these days I prefer to work out a part that needs fuzz over bashing about. An Ambient Noodler by inclination, I love putting some wild fuzz or long, sizzling sustain over the top or way back in the background to enhance the soundscape.

And some riffs and licks just cry out to be Fuzz, while other parts "demand" light gain or none.

It's all fun to me. YMMV.

klangmäander

the lick at 1:44 changed everything for me. it is a perfect example of how the often uncontrollable nature of fuzz can be used (controlled?) in an artistic way.

another one would be the moment when Hendrix stepped on the Octavio during We Gotta Live Together on Band Of Gypsys. one of the most musical uses of fuzz to date imo.

BlueWolf

Platinum Supporting Member
I thought I hated fuzz until I got my Analog.man SunFace BART. That pedal rocks and can range from subtle to in your face, which is why I like it so much.

Outo-Tune

I thought I hated fuzz until I got my Analog.man SunFace BART. That pedal rocks and can range from subtle to in your face, which is why I like it so much.
Straight BART or Hybrid with RCA? I am debating those two options right now. I have a Surface BC 183 but also want a germanium. I like the idea of the temperature stability of adding the RCA, but since I have the BC already, I am leaning full BART. Go BART or go home as they say.

LPSlinger

The three players who got me into fuzz: Marc Ford and his Germanium fuzz tone. David Gilmour and his Silicon fuzz tone and Big Muff tone. Billy Corgan and his Big Muff tone.

BlueWolf

Platinum Supporting Member
Straight BART or Hybrid with RCA? I am debating those two options right now. I have a Surface BC 183 but also want a germanium. I like the idea of the temperature stability of adding the RCA, but since I have the BC already, I am leaning full BART. Go BART or go home as they say.
I went with the straight BART.

Serious Poo