• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

You want to hear some of the best guitar tone ever? (kimock live-on stage mics)

mprvise

Yeah, good stuff. I've got a few of these shows that Charlie recorded this way - love 'em! And I agree - great tone and quality.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Guitar sounds ok, but that bass drum popping is really annoying.
I hear what you're saying about the bass drum popping, but I think the guitar sounds a bit better than ok.

6Tones

I find Kimock Very enjoyable to listen too :)Very musical
Seen him once live and prob will again this summer.

YoungMansBlues

Never really listened to Kimock before, saw your thread and thought this would be a good place to start, and WOW! I can't believe this was done live!!! I'm finished with class for the day, and I've got a while before anyone else gets up, so I know what I'm going to be listening to with the lights off and the smoke rilling for about the next few hours....:rolleyes:

B_of_H

i'm glad some people agree. I think people try to record guitar sounds in the studio with great equipment and still don't capture tones this well.

Is it just one mic? (i don't know much about the subject) I always assumed it was a stereo stage split, that would make it even more impressive.

The delay work of mitch stein is also impressive to me.

BTW, I did lights for this show which was a real treat for me since it's not something I do professionally but was asked by the promoter so I did my best.

also, i'm listening to this through some boston acoustic cr7's with a powered onkyo sub...the tones really jump out. It doesn't sound all that impressive through my computer by comparison.

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
Wow, I actually traded for that show, back in 2002. Great stuff! That thick, meaty Alphonso Johnson bass tone. I like to compare different field mics of shows, just for comparison's sake. Those Rode NT2's sound great. Here's another show from the same year, that Charlie has recently remastered, and sounds even more astounding. Also with the NT2's.

http://www.archive.org/details/skb2002-02-22.flac16

Here's one that's a soundboard/Rode matrix mix. Oh, and all of these are fantastic performances, btw!!

http://www.archive.org/details/skb2005-10-01matrix

Here's one of the Schoeps CMC mics.

http://www.archive.org/details/skb2004-09-24

Hmm, I can't seem to find any of those older Ron Keyser ATSM ST-250 Soundfield recordings. Well, I have some at home that I traded for way back when. You'll have to take my word for it, but they are sublime!

Holliman

Triad Abuser
I'm finished with class for the day, and I've got a while before anyone else gets up, so I know what I'm going to be listening to with the lights off and the smoke rilling for about the next few hours....:rolleyes:
Enjoy it while you can young jedi. I miss college.

Randaddy

I've been at TGP for a couple of years, but I've still never listened to Kimock for some reason.

This sounds great! I like what I'm hearing.

Good job Kimock. :AOK

Trending Topics