Young Fuzz:the 1st Album

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Pale Rider, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Supporting Member

Anyone know what fuzz Neil Young was using on his 1st solo album on
    "The Loner" and "I've been waiting for you"...the 2nd and 4th songs?
    also, what is the twelve string-y effect of the 2nd song?
    Thanks
    I have looked but no one talks about it-

2. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Supporting Member

3. shakti

shakti Member

I'm pretty sure he used a Vox Tonebender, not to be confused with the Sola Sound Tonebender Mk II. The Italian-made Vox Tonebender had a two-transistor circuit somewhat similar to a fuzzface, but with a unique sound. If you check the D*A*M site, there's lots of info there. The D*A*M 1966 will be a very accurate clone. I have one, and it does do a pretty convincing Neil Young-style fuzz sound like the first album, but I don't have a Gretsch like Neil probably used, and I don't know which amp he used.

The 12-string effect on The Loner is probably a Leslie, he definitely plays through one for the solo on "I've Been Waiting for You". Lots of studio trickery on that album though, sounds like he goes straight into the board on several guitar parts too.

4. Judson

Judson Senior Member

Ive got a D*A*M '66 and I can get many early Neil tones with some 'buckers and great later day (up to that soundtrack he did with johnny depp) tones with the attack knob lower and with single coils. And a TON of my own soudns as well.

I highly recomend that company. Fuzz is my favorite effect and I have had PLENTY and since the '66 I have bought one fuzz (in 2 years) and am about to sell it. BUT having said that there are many other great tonebenders I have tried with things like 9 volt tap and such.

5. seiko

seiko Member

Almost undobutedly NY used his Fender tweed deluxe amp and you're right on with the Vox tonebender. Very similar to the setup Lou Reed used on the Velvet Underground and Nico in fact.

6. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Check out the video demo from ProGuitarShop.com of the Durham "Crazy Horse" pedal. You can find it nearby in the thread titled "Durham Zia Drive". That pedal had a overdrive/distortion and a fuzz in the same box so it is extremely versatile and built like a tank.

7. shakti

shakti Member

I'm almost 100% certain he didn't have his tweed Deluxe at that time, I think he got it sometime between the first solo record and Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere. With Buffalo Springfield you'd see him onstage with Fender blackface amps IIRC, not sure which types, but I think they were mostly stacks and not combos. Probably Showmans or Concerts or something, but don't quote me on that.

8. emjee

emjee Member

Amazing, that he was a seasoned veteran with roughly half a dozen albums under his belt by the time he cut his 1st solo LP. I have an old songbook from '73, and it has many pictures of him w/crazy horse, CSNY, and one of the stray gators in his barn with a tweed deluxe AND what looks like a white concert or showman, and a blackface combo. ANother pic showed him with a MArshall stack playing a Gibson Korina V with Nash playing a Gibson black slope shouldered acoustic. In other words the pictorial evidence shows him playing multiple amps, so its a distinct possibilty he may have used several different amps on any given album.JMHO.

-MG