Your $1 Auction Luck

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Turi, May 19, 2015.

1. Turi

Turi Member

How do you guys generally fair pulling off a $1 auction on Ebay? Or anywhere else?
    Mostly interested in guitar being sold.

I did one ages ago - I could not bloody move a Fender Deluxe Players Strat I had - I had the price down to $450 on Gumtree and some other sites here in Aus - that's way lower than they usually go for.
    Garnered quite a bit of interest but no sale.

So after like two weeks of epic fails, I slapped it on Ebay for $1 - wound up being sold for $750~ + postage - way higher than I expected, and way higher than I had it advertised for as a straight up sale prior to that.

I'm missing my Gretsch G5420T so freaking much that I just HAVE to buy a new one because the guy I traded it to has since sold it.
    I mean I absolutely have to get an Aspen Green Gretsch G5420T back in my life.
    I have recognised the only fault I thought the guitar had (neck cramping my hands) was actually me not using proper hand posture.

So now I'm stuck here with no way to get it but to sell my ASAT which to be honest is a better guitar, hands down.
    But hey, I'm poor until I finish my law degree.

I've had it up for sale for the last two or so weeks, and no takers at all. Got some really nice pics of it, it's a beautiful guitar.
    I don't feel good enough for it in all honesty. It's like some uber high quality pro-level instrument and I'm just some nubcake trying to learn how to Travis pick.

So I'm thinking of slapping it up on Ebay for a $1 auction. But since it doesn't say "Fender" on the headstock, I'm way scared it'll sell for less than I need to get the Gretsch ($1165aud).

What's your experience with $1 auctions been? Please tell me it's been good.

2. IndigoBandit

IndigoBandit Member

Used market is pretty atrocious at the moment, I've sold a few things on ebay far cheaper than I would have liked.
    The benefit of a really low starting bid means you'll garner a lot of initial interest - you just have to hope that equates to bidding when the time comes.

3. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Very timely thread- I recently did two $1 auctions after having sworn them off. I hadnt done one in 10 years or so before.

Both items brought about 1/2 what they were worth, and to add insult to injury, one of the items the guy didnt pay.

So I am done with those- I will do fixed prices from now on (if I even ever do another, I am fed up with ebay for numerous reasons).

4. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

I'm a fixed start price man. I'll sell for the lowest I believe it is worth and I can wait it out and relist if the right buyer is not around at the right time.

Other times I'll price according to what it is worth regardless of what others may think. The prerogative is mine.

As it's been said before, items that are priced right will sell. (but sometimes, yes, people need cash asap).

I've always payed appropriately for something I want, sometimes that has been higher than I would have liked, but I know what I want and don't mind paying for it. If I get it a bit lower, that is a kind bonus.

I'm not going in for a net loss result, but yes I have dropped reserved prices at times...

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  5. Turi

Turi Member

Yeah its such a bad time to sell stuff. My asat is beautiful. Seriously.
    7 watchers, 1 bid ATM for $1. Lol.

It worked last time for me so eh. :/

Damn that sucks. I hardly ever sell stuff with fixed prices.. They just don't move..

I really hate eBay, tbh.

6. Turi

Turi Member

What if something you're trying to sell just isn't budging, even hundreds less than it should be selling for?

7. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

I'll leave it there at my lowest and let it sit.

When you factor in initial cost, looking after your gear, then selling fees and time packaging really safely.

If you don't need the money, it can sit and be re-listed. Use the time to save cash up for new purposes/purchases.

The way I see it, otherwise you are just giving stuff away.

I'm not giving things away that I worked hard for.

I've done my bit for this life time... I do not like losing money.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  8. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

The used market is glutted with utility gear. The sellers need to sell at a loss or just keep it. Nothing special about a mid line strat usa with lollars. Worth maybe $400, despite your $1100 "investment".
    Now be thankful that you're not selling older recording equipment or non powered PA speakers and racks of heavy power amps...

Stonebandit and hackenfort like this.