Your all-time favorite Country song

Bankston

Tons of great responses - and a whole lot of things I would like to contribute - so many great songs...

I'll throw out an oddball but I do think this is nearly a perfect country song - both the song itself, the lyrics, the melody, as well as this performance which is a duet between Bruce Robison and his wife Kelly Willis, and the arrangement how it builds, the accordion, pedal steel, and the baritone guitar solo. Just brilliant. This was a big hit for Tim McGraw and Faith Hill, and it is one of their and their kids favorite songs they've done for good reason ... just a classic. But I like Bruce and Kelly's version more (I'm a fan of both of them together and individually)

Thank you for posting this. I love this song, too. I first heard McGraw and Faith's cover and thought, "Wow, that's a real country song." It's very well produced and Tim delivered a great vocal on it.

But then I heard Bruce & Kelly's version and it broke my heart.

I cite the two versions of this song when I try to explain the differences between Nashville and Texas country music.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
I don’t think I have a favorite anything, whatever it might be I can probably think of others I like just as much, or in different ways that aren’t really comparable.

So for this I’ll go with one of my favorites, that I don’t think has been mentioned yet. Okay, two, see what I mean?

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
Platinum Supporting Member
Something by Hank Sr.

That guy was IT.

Just pure emotion poured out on a vinyl platter.

Love most old school country.

Waylon Willie Johnny and Merle.

But most all of it comes from Hank.

Pain and sorrow and story telling.

kkregsg

Gold Supporting Member
Townies van Zandt's Pancho and Lefty, in all its forms: original, Emmy Lou, Hoyt Axton, Willie and Merle. Just a well crafted, heart tugging song.

Trending Topics