Your all-time favorite guitar solo and why.

epo

Great choices all around! For me, I *always* get goosebumps when I hear the solo that starts around 2:55 in Frost*'s "Black Light Machine"

Or at about 5:56 in this live in studio version (due to Jem's intro chat)...

And for everyone who mentioned the awesomely "perfect" solo from "Stairway..." check out 3:50ish in this video of Giraffe's "Waiting For The Rain"...

Apparently Kevin wanted the "perfect" outro solo... he got it! ;)

And take your pick of the solos in this, which never fails to bring a smile to my face!

Last edited:

7thString

Some awesome responses so far. Really enjoying listening through all these, cheers guys. Figured I should add some of my other favourites
(Sneaky Hendrix performance)

Paleolith54

Martin Barre, Aqualung
Clapton, While My Guitar...
Gilmour, Comfortably Numb

I like and cover plenty of newer stuff, but these are just ground so deeply into my brain that they'll always be favorites.

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
Likely Allan Holdsworth's solo on the studio version of "Devil Take the Hindmost"

Runner up would be Jan Akkerman's out-there solo on "Anonymous II"

Ritchie Blackmore's solo on the studio version of "Lazy" sure meant a ton to me as a young player.

"Self Control" by Frank Ocean. Perfect guitar solo. Emotive, goes somewhere, simple. The tone is unusual and the best fit for the song.

rhinocaster

Silver Supporting Member
This is the one that changed the way I play and approach soloing.....the great one for me. And it's funny, I'm much more of a Souther Culture On The Skids/Setzer/Lonnie Mack/Albert Collins kind of music fan and player. Still, this solo is the one....solo at 3:25.

Lone Bear

Not so much a solo per se but Brian May - March of the Black Queen (starts at 13:45):

Last edited:

T92780

Gold Supporting Member
With the warning that I think 90% of guitar solos are for the guitar player and not the audience...
Probably my favorite. Not much to it really, but it is natural and full of the feels.
Subjective, but sounded like a TGP member playing drunk...sorry. Love the band, guitarist, etc.. just surprised that's someone's choice as "fav", no less from bands strong library.

NoBrakes

From a non-solo oriented band The Replacements "The Ledge" Which guess would have been Paul Westerberg as Bob Stinson was gone and Slim Dunlap has no credits on the album .... Just like that one.. raw, simple and effective for the song

Last edited:

7thString

Subjective, but sounded like a TGP member playing drunk...sorry. Love the band, guitarist, etc.. just surprised that's someone's choice as "fav", no less from bands strong library.
I actually really enjoyed listening to this, although I can see where you are coming from. There's something enjoyable about some of Frusciante's more 'tongue in cheek' (aka kinda purposely 'wrong' or weird) solos if you will... eg:
and more on the comical side:

and then on the more polished side of things:

Trending Topics