Your all-time favorite guitar solo and why.

jtm622

I memorized this one over 30 years ago - still play it to "warm up with" today, and to get into that "Schenker" frame of mind:

But, I can't leave out this one for a very close second:

Last edited:

mcknigs

Silver Supporting Member
I have no absolute favorite but I've long said this is one of my favorites. A great example of an economical blues-based solo in a pop song:

Timboguitar

Can't post a link because of the copyright problem Beatles have with youtube, but for me it would be While my guitar gently weeps. Absolute perfection.
What an incredible song. The depth of sadness. The tragic realization. And the lyrics are as relevant today as they were when written. Here's another tragedy. An open discussion on the lyrics of the song would probably be against forum rules. Here. A forum of musicians. But what kind of pickups did he use? That's the real story.

micycle

The guitar solo from "She" and the jam that ensues after it on KISS ALIVE! pretty much brainwashed me into wanting to grow up and play guitar at a very young age. Because Ace f**kin' Frehley, that's why.

zryder

A couple:

Crazy by Aerosmith.
Here I Go Again by Whitesnake.

Not the most complex solos, but the note choices and phrasing are off the charts for both.

jmp2204

Spoonful by Cream, the studio version on Fresh Cream. The opening phrase.....so beautiful. To think a young guy could play like that! I love it even more than Crossroads. The solo in Spoonful is definitely ground zero for me, it's why I started playing guitar. Second would be In the Dead of Night by UK/Holdsworth; my first intro to Allan and a rock guitar playing "outside."

Judge Smails

This has always been one of my favotite solos , the tone is heavenly and the licks outstanding
2:45

And this at solo at 1:54 is as pure and melodic as it gets....Gives me chills every time i hear it

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
Had too many over the years to call any one favorite. I did love ruining speakers with the raw, simplistic solo on Sympathy for the Devil though.

Trending Topics