Your All Time Life-Changing Gear Purchase. What was it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by football, Dec 7, 2017.

1. _pete_

_pete_ Supporting Member

A Floyd Rose and a humbucker for my '74 Strat back in 1982. Nothing was the same after that.

Not Through Yet and football like this.
  2. Surfreak

Surfreak Member

I was 9 when my parents bought me my first guitar, a humongous Giannini classical guitar that was really shaped like a jumbo acoustic, with the thickest neck I had, or have, ever seen.

I would carry it on my shoulder, without a case or bag, up the staircase to my old guitar teacher, and at first I absolutely hated it. Then, after about a year, when the notes all of a sudden started to connect, and the clumsy sounds started to resemble a melody, that's when I really got hooked up.

Then life took over, fancy gear came and went, and that old, battered guitar sat in my mum's basement for 40 odd years, until last winter, when I came back home, my proper home, the home I was born in, went to the basement and took it to a luthier to have it fixed.

The old Giannini came back after a month, still battered and scarred, but now finally playable again, with a fresh set of frets, a couple of sealed cracks, a new saddle and nut, and a tone that brought me back to my childhood in 1977.

Many times in my adult life I have cried, when my father passed away, when my beautiful child was born, but the day I got my Giannini back, boy, did I cry! That old piece of wood and strings, that unwieldy shape, that coffer of my childhood dreams will never be neglected again!

3. kickstrat

kickstrat Member

Kemper for me because it slowed down my GAS for amps considerably.
    Kemper for my wife because her ears are not bleeding anymore ;-)

4. Gurn

Gurn Silver Supporting Member

Kawai K1 synthesizer. It changed my life.

5. Cosmiceddie

Cosmiceddie Member

Boss Katana Head

Rocco Crocco and football like this.
  6. Maltese Fan

Maltese Fan Member

M-Audio 1010LT. My first audio interface. Being able to record my music was definitely life changing.

7. Rob Taft

Rob Taft Supporting Member

Christopher Parkening Guitar Method Book 1. It improved my reading skills, and more importantly it developed my fingerstyle chops. Up until that point I was a pick player and playing fingerstyle opened up a whole new avenue for solo jazz guitar. I haven't touched a pick since.

8. rusty

rusty Supporting Member

after ditching new reissue fender amps and playing direct for a while, i decided to try a sf princeton reverb in a store one day...life changing for sure!

James and football like this.
  9. gigs

gigs Member

I bought this book when I first picked up a guitar and learned the chords back in '74. Never needed another book, just put records on and learned from ear. Without this book, I probably would have given up quickly.

[​IMG]

10. '62 Stratmaniac

'62 Stratmaniac Member

For me it was my first Strat, a CAR '65 that I bought in about '72, and sold my Daphne Blue '65 Mustang to pay for. Unfortunately, I sold the Strat (for $300) to buy a new Am. Std. when they were introduced, 'cause I was dumb enough to fall for the marketing hype touting the superiority of the Am. Std's 22 fret neck with 9.5" radius and the two point vibrato (I can't call it a trem, 'cause it ain't). I've bought many Strats in the meantime, but my CP 60s (my avatar) is the best I've ever had, whether American, Mexican, or Japanese.

aliensporebomb and football like this.
  11. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

The day I helped a good friend of mine interface an SPX-90 into the loop on a brand new JCM-800 2210 into a quad of EV speakers.
    I thought, "this is how you do it." Goodbye spring reverb, goodbye echoplex, goodbye Roland Space echo. I still like a good ghosty trashy gurgling analog delay though, right into the front of a blasting Marshall.

football likes this.
  12. beorn

beorn Member

13. football

football Supporting Member

Would you mind telling me some more details about the strat in your avatar?

14. dahctor

dahctor Member

They must have made the best guitars then. Mine is the same: 2007 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Guitar Center (VOS) G0). Love that guitar.

football likes this.
  15. Trobbins3

Trobbins3 Silver Supporting Member

Me too. I won mine in a golf bet ten years or so ago. The payoff ends up being the journey, rather than that barely playable old Epiphone acoustic...

football likes this.
  16. Madguitrst

Madguitrst Member

third stone from the sun, one step from the edge
    ADA Ampulators (2)

EVERYTHING that goes through them sounds MUCH better.

football and ctreitzell like this.
  17. '62 Stratmaniac

'62 Stratmaniac Member

The photo is not actually not my guitar, but a stock photo I got online. But, the guitar is a Mexican made Classic Player 60s Strat with glossy neck with 21 frets, rosewood board (current production is now pau ferro) 12" radius, medium jumbo frets, vintage style tuners, Custom shop 69 pickups, American style two point vibrato, faded Sonic Blue finish, Mint Green pickguard, and aged plastic pickup covers and knobs. It plays as nice as or better than any American Standard I've ever owned and the Custom Shop 69 pickups make the sound I hear in my head when I imagine what a Strat should sound like. They were $799 with gigbag when I got mine, they're now $825.

football likes this.
  18. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Member

Getting away from the whole SuperStrat thing in the early 90s and buying my first Les Paul, followed by a proper Tele and Strat, both Cunetto relics.

David Garner, rusty and football like this.
  19. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

Life changing? well, I want to say first guitar or elec tuner, a Heartfield RR-8 I won, my current #1, the first rack effect I ever bought (Ibanez DMD 2000), DAT machine....so many others...but the thing that stands out is a DAW. SAW Studio SE I bought off the shelf in 1998 in a package with Master Tracks Pro Audio. Once I got SAW up and functioning and realized I could see my recordings and manipulate them, I couldn’t sleep for a week. Currently, I use SAW Studio daily mixing and editing audio for various paid and unpaid projects.

football likes this.
  20. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

The most important piece of gear would have to be my first real amp = Peavey Bandit.

That was the missing link in my early days. I had an O.k. guitar in the form of a Hondo II Les Paul knockoff. I played with no amp for over a year because even though I had an amp it was REALLY crappy and I could only really play at night anyway and using the amp would wake up my sisters, which would earn me a literal beating, so........ What I had wasn't even an amp really but a chipboard box with (probably) the guts of an am radio in it. A Pignose would be lightyears ahead of this POS. When I bought the Bandit new in the early 80's it was a good, solid piece of gear with a good selection of voices. The "Saturation" knob (distortion) was addictive because it gave sustain. That changed my playing life.

The Bandit showed me that guitar + amp = more than sum of the parts

justabubba, Simon, Cal Webway and 2 others like this.