Your All Time Life-Changing Gear Purchase. What was it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by football, Dec 7, 2017.

1. blong

blong Supporting Member

The true life changer was purchasing my Rivera Rake about 15 years ago. I had a collection of 60's and 70's Bassmans and a Marshall JMP 2x12. I had gigged with some, others I purchased when I had the funds just b/c of my love of their tone. Then I got a Rake, having never played one, but hearing they were great at the Fender and Marshall thing. Well, it replaced everything I own. It's the best amp I have ever owned with all the tones I love. I have attempted to replace it with other amps, and every time I A/B them, it smokes 'em all, for my taste, anyway.

The other piece changed my life, sort of, b/c I had wanted one for about 30 years, since I was about 17 and got to play one, and it is a 1956 strat. I bought a real-deal, authenticated by Gruhn's 1956 Fender Strat for about what someone would pay for Custom Shop strat. It needed a refinish and frets, but it is all there now. It's the best strat neck I've ever felt, and a unique tone. I own about 15 or so strats from different eras, a few non-Fender, a couple I built, and this one is just unique and fantastic. I never thought I could afford one, or would be willing to, and my buddy sold me his at an incredibly reasonable price.

That's my life-changers.

Bob

2. DGrig

DGrig Member

I would say that I have had possibly three that have significantly changed my outlook on music. The first is the J-45 that I bought when I turned 40. I intended to use the guitar to teach myself to sing and I did. Learning to sing helped me become a far mopre complete musician by a wide margin. The second was the Strat I bought last year. I should have bought one decades ago. There is no electric guitar I would rather play. I love my Strat. The last is the Hiwatt I got last summer. I am a huge Pink Floyd fan and a signature David Gilmour Hiwatt came up for sale locally. I picked it up and have been building a Pink Floyd rig ever since. To hear David Gilmour's tone come from my guitar and rig is deeply moving and signifies the completion of several lifelong goals for me.

3. Binaural

Binaural Supporting Member

The Telecaster, SG, and Firebird all changed how I approached playing.

David Garner and football like this.
  4. AustinIsPresent

AustinIsPresent Member

A 94 Gibson Nighthawk Special. It was my first good guitar. At least, my first "good for me" guitar. I had a Gibson Flying V before that, but it just never felt right to me, and as someone who didn't play metal or hard rock, it always felt a little funny as "my" guitar. It was also huge compared to my tiny body. That Nighthawk, though... it was weird in ways I liked. Sort of a Fender, sort of a Gibson. It introduced me to minihumbuckers, which remain my favorite pickup to this day. I learned to play in a band with that guitar, made my first record with that guitar, played my first show for a real crowd with that guitar, and got to know what I am and am not naturally inclined towards on a guitar on that instrument.

football likes this.
  5. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Beat me to it.

6. rusty

rusty Supporting Member

hearing an alan hamel tele pickup for the first time totally changed my outlook on the tone chase.

justabubba and football like this.
  7. football

football Silver Supporting Member

WOW. KILLER story. Awesome.

8. football

football Silver Supporting Member

Almost bought one of those in the 90's as well. Wish I did. Felt the same way about it as you mention. Weird in ways I liked.

AustinIsPresent likes this.
  9. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

60’s Bassman I got my first when I was 18, and that’s my sound. Chase over. I play a ‘66 right now.

Or

‘59 Les Paul Junior. Another “that’s my sound”, coupled with the Bassman. I bought mine when I was 20, and I still play it at almost every gig.

This pic is circa ‘00, the ‘68 Bassman and Les Paul. Basically same rig today.

10. Byrdseye

Byrdseye Supporting Member

Hitachi Vibrator

AustinIsPresent and Cal Webway like this.
  11. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Supporting Member

AC30. All of a sudden I could make the sounds I'd always wanted to make. And it's a really touch responsive amp, picking lightly to picking hard give you totally different sounds. I still have one, though my main gigging amp is now a Bad Cat Black Cat, which bears more than a family resemblance to the AC30 but has more versatility.

12. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

The day I got my first vintage Marshall 2203 (a 80 JMP) and realised that was THE sound that all the modern Marshalls, expensive boutique 'Marshall killers' and MIAB pedals promised but couldn't quiet deliver.

Getting my 06 Faded LP Special with Pearly Gates and 50's wiring about 2 years ago and finally having a guitar that can give me the most of the LP tone and feel without most of the weight and that could give me such great rolled down cleans in any pickup selection /combination that I can do just about anything.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    football likes this.
  13. GA20T

GA20T Member

1. a good K. Yairi acoustic early on
    2. Leo's Jazzmaster design
    3. the RAT

football likes this.
  14. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

It was the summer of '91, I had been married for about 2mo and had been hacking out songs on a mediocre boat anchor of an S-copy for about 3 yrs when a musician friend confided that he had knocked up his girlfriend, had decided to "do the right thing", and needed some quick cash. He offered to sell me his backup guitar; a barely played Desert Yellow RG550 for the princely sum of $125 and I jumped at the opportunity to own a "real" guitar. Owning a guitar that I could play chords in any position on the neck and they were still in tune, a guitar that I didn't have to re-tune after every song was such a game changer. I still have that guitar...

15. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Mine was building a 5e3 Deluxe. It was the first time I realized I was not just playing a guitar and using an amp to make it louder but I was playing the amp too. Then I built a pine tele. All the Teles I tried to love before were cold and unloving but this one was so warm but could sting too. Matched with the 5e3, I could make it snarl and spit or resonate like an acoustic. Just those 2 pieces of gear covered so much ground, so much more than any "versatile" piece of gear I had owned before them.

16. Decal

Decal Member

single-coils. Fender in general. the scale length.
    the bolt-on, the designs...all of it.

my Danocaster is the best Fender I've yet to play..

jimbobaby, Cal Webway and football like this.
  17. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Marshall 20W.

2nd place: Maxon AD900

football likes this.
  18. Nasty troll

Nasty troll Member

I wouldn't say life changing but did change my views, and my collection. I came across a First Act Custom Shop Lola several years ago, I kinda knew what they were but the seller obviously didn't, so I bought it pretty cheap. These days I own 8 First Acts. Weird Huh.

jalmer and football like this.
  19. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Mesa Boogie MkIII half stack. Freak find at my local Guitar Center, and my last major guitar purchase from them (over 17 years ago! :eek: ). No surprise, the low IQ chowderheads there didn't know much of anything about it or how to dial it in, so I did that over time myself and with a little help from the internets.

Things are just different when you're in love with your tone. :cool:

20. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

A tweed Champ a friend gave me in the early 70s. A volume knob and a great plugged-straight-in sound that made me think of effects pedals as distractions ever since.