Your All Time Life-Changing Gear Purchase. What was it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by football, Dec 7, 2017.

1. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Hard time looking through the gear I have and deciding what really "changed my life", until I looked beyond the guitars, amps and fx and settled on the first PC I purchased in 1990, and then waited another year before I could afford the Turtle Beach Tahiti card and 4-track studio software. I bought that PC with the express desire to figure out more concerning MIDI sequencing and what it could do for me in general regarding music (and I played a lot of X-Wing too). First, learning to use a sequencer and then later getting to record 4-tracks of 16-bit audio and mixing it in my home at all hours was like a dream come true. Seems quaint now, but it started me on a path toward being able to record and mix full tracks, which lead to more variety of gear purchases and getting interested in areas of music making I would have never cared about.

justabubba and football like this.
  2. TaoInMotion

TaoInMotion Member

My first electric ... a beat up 71 LP Deluxe I bought in 79 ... have gone through at least 20 guitars since then and it's still my favorite.

rusty, 27sauce and football like this.
  3. mikebat

mikebat Member

I have two.

A 4104 Marshall JCM800, 1985. Everything has changed, the Marshall remains, the sound of rock. It’s just too heavy.

My 1995 CS Strat. Sure it’s a era cliche three tone sunburst, but every guitar I bought to that point was a mistake, “why didn’t I just get a strat”. It was my introduction to single coils, and that remains my preference over congested hot PAF’s or hotter. Freshly re fretted and tone pot wired to the bridge Texas Special....it may claw its way past my Reverend, Baja, and Stevenson back to the top spot!!!

football likes this.
  4. sonofiam

sonofiam Member

Two for me.
    1. PRS Brazilian McMarty. I could not believe how much better the quality was over any other guitar I had played to that point.
    2. Dr Z Carmen Ghia. Discovered that I didn't have to settle for the status quo and boutique amps were definitely worth it.

5. Lumpy Trousers

Lumpy Trousers Member

1. First good guitar: an early 70's Gibson Les Paul DeLuxe that I bought --- in the early 1970's
    2. First really good sounding amp: a Dean Markley CD-60. It was a poor man's Mesa Boogie channel switching all tube 1X12 combo

honorable mention: A book of Larry Carlton's solos from his first solo album (with Room 335 on it). Wow - nice to have a guide to what Larry was doing. At one point I could just about play everything on that album.

football likes this.
  6. 49Strat

49Strat Member

My HM Plaintop. :D
    [​IMG]

Microdot, David Garner and football like this.
  7. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

8. MR.K

MR.K Member

It happened recently, in stages.
    Bought a2016 Gibson CS '58 es335. Right away it was unlike any guitar I ever had, fantastic. Shortly after I was in the market for a lighter amp, a Fender tweed style. I found the Speed Shop Tweed Deluxe site and bought one. The 335 and that amp has been a life changer. It's a thrill every time I play this rig.

9. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

My Brunetti amps, Singleman 16 and Metropolitan. First time I heard them I immediately realized "THAT is the sound I'm looking for". Haven't even let another amp in my house in 5 years ;)

football likes this.
  10. MrGuitarhack

MrGuitarhack Member

My first nice guitar a 1979 Fender Stratocaster. I switched out the pick guard and pickups because I wanted to be like Clapton. That really got me started down the road of taking lessons, practicing, and working at being a better musician. Not sure where I went wrong. :p

[​IMG]

soundchaser59 and football like this.
  11. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

Japanese 50s tele w/ bigsby. It's been my number one for the better part of 12 years and is the metric by which I judge all guitars.

football and David Garner like this.
  12. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

Taking delivery of the first working prototype body of my company's SB1 series electric guitars. That got the ball rolling. A lot of credit goes to luthier Alex Watson for faithfully reproducing my drawings in the wood.

13. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Yep, the magic happens when you find the right amp and match it with the right guitar and all the subtle shades of clean to mean, light to dark, quiet to loud are all there at your fingertips.

football likes this.
  14. Bogner

Bogner Member

My first guitar. It started all this madness and I couldn't be happier because of it. :)

football and Lt Dak like this.
  15. Blahfingers

Blahfingers Member

1. First guitar (a Yamaha acoustic)
    2. My JS1200. Inspired me to learn how to play it properly (now an ongoing practicing obsession)
    3. My first decent acoustic (Taylor). Inspired me to learn to fingerpick properly

football likes this.
  16. Lt Dak

Lt Dak Supporting Member

3 purchases come to mind:

My first guitar was a musicman silhouette purchased from the guy who used it on Steve Perry's '94 solo album. Top tier piece of gear. Hooked me forever.

After the above was stolen in 02, I bought a Gibson LP standard plus, and a prs cu22 10 top. Both were purchased new at GC in fresno on the same day. I was 22. Walking out of the store into the 100+ degree heat, LP in one hand, PRS in the other, was surreal.

Both are still played regularly 15 years later. I love them.

Layne-o and football like this.
  17. doc

doc Member

I would have "liked" this, but I'm trying to stay politically correct.

I don't really have an actual answer to the question. For me lots of small incremental influences, and lots of missed opportunities followed by later understanding and picking up the pieces.

MIKEN and football like this.
  18. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I can't think of any piece of 'gear' that was 'Life Changing'.
    What changed my life was Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
    two albums - Deju Vu and 4-Way Street.

Actually I'll take that back - it was the Sears Record
    player with built in speakers (lovely 6 x 9s) - but I didn't
    buy it - My Dad gave it to me for Christmas - and then
    installed a Headphone Jack and gave me some Radio
    Shack/Koss Headphones - so he wouldn't have to listen
    to the stuff I was playing.

football and '62 Stratmaniac like this.
  19. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

My Quinn Dumble clones. Totally ended my gas for anything Dumble, and sold my Dumble. Its the overdriven tones I have always wanted but could never get. 8 years and I love them even more now. Magical amps.

MR.K and football like this.
  20. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

A guitar. :)

I used to play trumpet. :confused:

football likes this.