YOUR "always on" pedal for a BETTER tone

On this forum I often got very precious advice on which pedals to try before making a purchase with closed eyes, without first seeing what the alternatives were.

Despite all of us we have different amps and guitars and dozens of pedals, despite different musical tastes and different musical genres played, many users spoke of pedals that kept "always on" and that simply improved the overall tone of their gear.
From my last thread (in which I asked how to have a warm and vintage sound), various pedals emerged with HUGE acclaim.
That pedals are:
Klon (or a clone) Overdrive, Chase Tone Secret Preamp, Xotic Ep Booster, Diamond Compressor, Effectrode Fire Bottle Booster.

As you can see, different types of pedals, yet I was amazed at how, for each of them, dozens of TGP users agreed that they used at least one to "improve the overall tone", sayin' stuff like "this definitely makes everything sound better", "it's a special ingredient for a better tone".

I'm not asking you which is your favorite overdrive or the which one is the best delay on the market.
I'm asking to you which pedal you have always-on in your pedalboard and - in your opinion - gives you a nicer overall sound?

Have fun

MadFrank

Silver Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Fromell Shape Eq. Makes everything better always. Different amps, guitars, pedals, musical styles and ambitions, its always on making everything better and nicer for me uniquely. I suspect any good eq would do the same for anyone. One of the smartest and most rewarding purchases I’ve ever made.

Last edited:

Moniker

Guitarchitect
Supporting Member
Klon KTR, First in the chain, Gain OFF

I got this in the initial run of KTR's years back, I'm not even sure if the footswitch works because it was turned on once and never stepped on again (ok, I've stepped on in a few times just to make sure that if its off, so is my favorite, now standard, tone... which is exactly what happens, so it shall stay on for the rest of eternity)

MadFrank

Silver Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Following on from the op’s question a little more, I would say, that along with the eq pedal, the device I have always on that gives me a better sound is... a buffer! Surprised nobody has mentioned it yet, but a good quality buffer, along with good quality cables and patches, which I guess are ‘always on’, makes my tone demonstrably better than if they weren’t there. I know, I’ve ab them and all that.

Pastafarian

On this forum I often got very precious advice on which pedals to try before making a purchase with closed eyes, without first seeing what the alternatives were.

Despite all of us we have different amps and guitars and dozens of pedals, despite different musical tastes and different musical genres played, many users spoke of pedals that kept "always on" and that simply improved the overall tone of their gear.
From my last thread (in which I asked how to have a warm and vintage sound), various pedals emerged with HUGE acclaim.
That pedals are:
Klon (or a clone) Overdrive, Chase Tone Secret Preamp, Xotic Ep Booster, Diamond Compressor, Effectrode Fire Bottle Booster.

As you can see, different types of pedals, yet I was amazed at how, for each of them, dozens of TGP users agreed that they used at least one to "improve the overall tone", sayin' stuff like "this definitely makes everything sound better", "it's a special ingredient for a better tone".

I'm not asking you which is your favorite overdrive or the which one is the best delay on the market.
I'm asking to you which pedal you have always-on in your pedalboard and - in your opinion - gives you a nicer overall sound?

Have fun
Compressor. Dyna Comp.

Jim Marciano

Supporting Member
I may have mentioned this in the other thread but my always ons are chasetone secret preamp, cali76 and DigiTech supernatural set to plate, I also have a tc alter ego in there (not always on) then whatever dirt and modulation I feel like that day as I don't really have a board together at the moment

I'm always auditioning new pedals against my favorites to see if I can a better sound or the sound I'm after cheaper, for instance I just ordered an orange squeeze type compressor I'm hoping takes the place of the cali76, probably won't but I'd like to know, I was clueless about effects for the first 18 years or so I was playing so I have had to do alot of catching up

Bill Lumberg

I Drink and I Know Things.
Silver Supporting Member
That's easy, the Strymon Deco. A totally underrated pedal.

From the warmth of the drive side to the stereo spread to the great short delays and the flanger, I keep one on my main board always. I have another one that I thought I might use on a Nano but space is kind of tight. If I had to play a gig on the fly, I coulld get by with the Deco, the RevivalDrive custom and a reverb of some sort.

Trending Topics