Your band, big stage..do you spread or snuggle?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Tone_Terrific, Jan 5, 2020.

1. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

We generally spread out more.

derekd likes this.
  2. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Spread. My ears appreciate it. ;)

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Spread doesn’t have to mean to each corner.
    As other say, there is also the speed of sound to consider. You can also spread a little laterally, but also in depth, which is a real treat.
    Personally I like for example the classic Beatles setup when they played Ed Sullivan, or bigger stages.

Tone_Terrific likes this.
  4. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Most classic bands set up tightly enough to be photographed with a regular lens.
    Coincidence? Probably, but rather convenient for the media of the day, too.

5. derekd

derekd Member

Close enough I can give a well-deserved pat on the butt after an especially good performance.

Who wants to spend time between tunes running around the stage?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  6. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

This is about as big as it gets. 4 piece.

[​IMG]

7. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Grown Men don't "snuggle".

[​IMG]

Tone_Terrific and derekd like this.
  8. derekd

derekd Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Better Late and Tone_Terrific like this.
  9. bob-i

bob-i Member

It depends on the monitor situation. If monitors are good, spread out, if not snuggle.

at the gig pictured below, I was completely reliant on monitors, and unfortunately the monitor engineer was a buffoon. During sound check he couldn’t get my monitor on at all, then suddenly he found the right button, just as the trumpets hit their loudest/highest notes. I couldn’t hear for 15 minutes. I went to the console and set my monitor mix myself.

derekd and Tone_Terrific like this.
  10. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Both Chucks say NO. :nono

[​IMG]

derekd likes this.
  11. cheapgtrs

cheapgtrs Supporting Member

My eyes aren't so great and I like to be able to see the other musicians. For cues as well as improvising. I'm pretty good at unspoken communication. I like to stay pretty tight

derekd likes this.
  12. daddyplayedsax

daddyplayedsax Member

I've played stadiums but we were setting up in front of two other bands, which meant in practical terms the stage area was approaching 100ft wide but maybe 20ft deep. I had my own riser for keyboard/guitar land which I occasionally hopped off for a walkaround when I wasn't singing, but due to the way we were strung out in single file I didn't actually see our bass player onstage during the two whole months of the tour.

IEM's all round so it didn't actually make much difference but the thing that stuck with me was the sense of isolation. You're wearing plugs so everything is a bit muffled to start, then the front line of the audience are maybe 30ft away and 20ft below you. Everything after the first twenty or so rows is so far away they're just a blur of colour; you can't even really make out faces.

Here's a couple of photos so you can get an idea of scale - one from the edge of guitarland and one from the back of the stage for depth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bankston, stevenymets, derekd and 2 others like this.
  13. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

very cool!

I’ve never played any venue even half that size. Never been crazy about IEM, I like experiencing the whole sound, not feeling cut off.

14. daddyplayedsax

daddyplayedsax Member

Not my first choice usually but impossible to not use them on gigs that size. There were times I took them out to listen to the crowd and the ambient wash was maybe half a second behind the stage sound as it hit the back of the venue and came back - that's not a distraction you can work with if you want to keep any kind of time with the band really!

Some of the big festival shows were actually easier due to the lack of hard surfaces providing less reflections. Does leave the stage feeling weirdly dead though.

15. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

IEMs and wireless, spread and snuggle depending, as moving is fine.

Wedge monitors and self monitoring amps, snuggle for reasons mentioned by @daddyplayedsax . Delay due to distance is a tough row to hoe.

derekd and StompBoxBlues like this.
  16. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

Do you have the math for putting the backline in correct phase with the FOH on deep stages?

17. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

I've played the big rooms at House of Blues and Warehouse Live, and a couple of festival stages, but we didn't have much choice on those. For one, we were set up with backlines 3 or 4 rows deep, and a couple of other drum kits already on stage and for the other one, they taped the stage into two halves.

HOB was without a doubt the best experience because the sound was phenomenal and the crew were total pros. We move around a lot on stage so the answer is yes . . . huddle AND spread out. Put on a show. There's nothing more dull than seeing a bunch of shoegazers stand in one place on stage.

We're playing the big room at Warehouse this Friday and it's also very good.

18. stevenymets

stevenymets Member

Riding on a unicorn through a gumdrop rainbow
    @daddyplayedsax - good stuff, informative post and that band you are playing with has some very solid tunes. Are you going out with them again this year?

19. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

I don't think Zep and the Who were shoegazers but they were often within spitting distance of one another.
    I'm not a big fan of the little guy running around on the big stage but certainly understand the intent.

20. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

The Who were one of the artists that invented the modern day rock show. Zeppelin could be kinda boring to watch but awesome to listen to.