Your best choice for tape slap back echo in a pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by revgsmall, Jan 20, 2008.

1. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I just recently switched over to the new Boss RE-20 Space Echo specifically for the rockabilly slapback echo sound. For years I used (and still own) the Line 6,DL-4 not for the most ideal slap back echo but for its versatility and three pre-sets. Different band: afro-cuban & reggae music lends itself for lots of different echo's.

However I am now playing in a three piece: rockabilly, surf, r&b kind of group (I play a Gretsch into a Vox AC-15 and/or old Fender Pro and I crank the reverb). So with that vibe in mind, I switched over to the Boss because I can hear an improvement in getting that tape echo like sound. I owned an non-tube echoplex and a Guild Wildcat? tape echo years ago.

Without going back to a tape based machine, does anyone think there is a better pedal out there?

On a side bar, I wished the Boss had pre-sets like the Line 6 did. I found them quite handy.

2. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Uh, you have it. The RE-20. :NUTS

3. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

4. duende

duende Member

have yet to try the "new and improved" space echo... but the best tape like sounding delay pedal I know of is the 18v vintage ibanez ad-80. Punchy and lo-fi just like the best of 'em... with a saturated top-end and nice runnaway blurred repeats!

5. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Be it the dano or a magicstomp on my board......
    prefer the yamaha though cos you can program it and also have extra long tape echos digital style

6. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

I use an old AD9 for slap back. Prefer it to my AD80. Frequency wise it sits where tape lives. Not the real thing, but sounds really great.

7. robbie68

robbie68 Member

Carl Martin Red Repeat is just perfect for a warm sounding slap back echo.

8. cber1517

cber1517 Member

I use the Danelectro PB & J delay. It has a short and long delay stomp switch so you can toggle between slapback echo and an analog-style delay. It has a lo-fi sound on the repeats and is exactly what I look for in a delay - not too much and not sterile and digital sounding. I use it for a Robben Ford style short delay and it works perfect for that. You can find one on the cheap for $50 or less. It is also very quiet and I can't tell that it effects my tone in bypass mode.

9. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

its a big pedal, but the dano reel echo does slapback and other tape echo sounds very well.

dk

10. Teahead

Teahead Member

Perfectly stated. :AOK

11. mikelaw

mikelaw Member

keeley ad-9 OR the new mxr carbon copy! OR the ehx memory man if you have the room/money for it.

12. erksin

erksin Member

13. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I have about 8 delay pedals and an EP-3 Echoplex. When I'm lazy and don't want to fuss with the EP-3 my 18V AD-80 gets the closest.

14. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I have an old AD-9 that is now not working at all, I tried to have it fixed once but it stopped working again. I 'don't know if its worth getting worked on again or not, since they now have a reissue. Sound wise though I remember it having a bit of a harsh clank to it, like it reproduced the percussion of the pick too much. Is this typical of an AD-9 or is it my malfunctioning AD-9.

15. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

My AD-80 is arguably too warm. I love it for certain things but for slap back the old AD-9 just seems more on the mark. I find the biggest misconception about tape delay is the lack of top end. All my tape delays have loads of top end, they're just not harsh. They compress a bit like tape does but there's plenty of top end. Digital tape delay simulators that put a tone control on the feedback output just confuse me.
    AD-9 top end is closer to the feel of tape for me.

But nothing beats tape in the end, so that's what I use most of the time.

16. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

hmmm, my EP-3 lops off a bit of top end. Its much more noticable with my Tele than my SG. I will have to check out the AD-9. Lord knows one can never have too many delays!!

17. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

Amen brother!!!
    If delays were people, my cupboard is China

18. SHM

SHM Member

19. Sunstone Recordings

Sunstone Recordings Member

any analog delay should do the trick, right?

20. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

I wish it were this easy. They all have different characteristics. horses for courses